View Single Post
Old 07-21-2007, 09:31 PM #13 (permalink)
ltr

ltr

When I was diagnosed with fibro the neuro nurse practitioner that diagnosed it gave me amitriptylline for pain and sleep. I have been so sensitive to drugs and had such incredible fatigue from the myopathy, that I was scared to take it. The rheumatologist never said whether she believed in fibromyalgia or not, but she did say that Cymbalta, an antidepressant, is used to treat the pain centers in the brain. I tried it for two days and had such incredible lethergy and was such a wet noodle, that I never took another one. Plus, when I checked out the side effects to see why I was feeling that bad, all I found was really bad stuff about it. I still wonder if the amitriptylline would help with the pain or not. I have seen posts where pals use it, but I think that is for the dry mouth effect it gives. So, they do use antideperssants to work on the pain centers in the brain. I don't think they are saying the pain is from depression, it's just the mechanism of the medication that is used for both.