Not open for further replies.

ireadhealthinfo

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
I was not able to find a post like this. So, I will ask my question here. What is it like to be pregnant when you have chronic pain?

Thank you for reading.

I was not able to find a post like this. So, I will ask my question here. What is it like to be pregnant when you have chronic pain?

Thank you for reading.

I was diagnosed with my auto-immune disease when I was 33 weeks pregnant with my first child, at first I was able to cope as this was close to my delivery date.

After the birth of my first child I was diagnosed with post partum depression, at that time I could not not understand why, but now looking back I know it was the culmination of all the events running up to it and having to cope with a new baby and a lifelong illness.

With my second pregnancy it all went well in the beginning but as the pregnancy progresses it got worse, and at times I even wished I wasn't pregnant.

Worse of all I got the post partum depression again, but this time I knew what to look out for and got help immediately.

Being pregnant and in pain is difficult, to say the least, but worth it all the same. I will never be able to imagine my life without my children, they make all this bearable, and the unconditional love they give you, carries you trough the most darkest of times.

Please do not be dissuaded to have a child because I had it bad, all pregnancies, just like all children differ, and yours might even help you with your pain. My mother was diagnosed with MS, and fell pregnant shortly after her diagnosis, her pregnancy cured her MS, and she has no trace of it left what so ever. I do not say pregnancy will cure you, but the hormonal changes, may even reduce your pain. That is however something you would have to wait and see about.

if you do have a baby, make sure of post partum depression symptoms and keep a lookout for them, as you know, fibro and other auto-immune sufferers tend to get depression.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am glad you saw the light after the storm. I cannot believe your mother's pregnancy cured her MS. It is so mysterious and amazing. I think you made a good point about the hormonal changes being able to potentially reduce pain. I learned a lot. I really sympathize with your situation.

I was diagnosed with fibro about 8 years ago. I have 2 kids now, a 17 month old and a 1 month old. With my first pregnancy, I found that most of my fibro symptoms seemed to get a lot better. Honestly, besides the normal pregnancy complaints, I felt better than I had in years! After I delivered, it took about 3 months, but it slowly creeped back and the fibro eventually settled back in to it's normal routine. With this last pregnancy though, it was worse. Since I delivered though this time, I feel slightly better. It's entirely crazy! For what it's wroth my first pregnancy was a boy and 2nd was a girl. I've had people swear it makes all sorts of difference. I'm sure it's the hormonal changes that happen during pregnancy, but it has definitely been a crazy ride. I had some rough patches, but my kids are, hands down, worth all of it and more. =)

I have had fms,cfs for many years. I have had 3 babies, 2 of which were post diagnosis. In all my pregnancies I had difficulties, but not fms,cfs related, just your usual pregnancy aches, pains, tirdness. In my pregnancies my fms pain magically went away (not imediately but gradually) and didn't return until the babies were 5-6 months old. It was such a relief. Sadly though it always came back. I wonder if it was the hormone relaxin that helped? Perhaps, hopefully more research will provide answers and better treatment options, because I am now done having babies. and getting continuously knocked up is not a smart treatment plan. Lol! But if you are considering getting pregnant and are affraid don't let it stop you. You may find you actually get some relief. Though keep in mind if/when it returns it is sometimes very difficult to care for a child when you are in pain/exshausted and it's important to have a good support system in place (family, friends who can help out when needed) My children have been such a joy and even when my pain is at it's worst, they raise my spirits!

I am so glad that I found this forum. I am pregnant 7 weeks, and I have RSD. I am currently taking 75mg Duragesic Patches and 30mg Morphine Sulfate pills. I have already discontinued Valium, Klonopin, and Topomax because of what I have read on the internet. I have a great pain dr and OB that will be working together on this. I am concerned about my pain meds. I cannot get off of them, I am in all over body pain. I am only 26 years old also. My OB is happy that I stopped taking the meds above and really didn't say anything about the meds that I am taking.

Hi Cavalo! Glad you're here! I definitely think you should just keep in close contacts with your doctors. When you have an illness like this, it's all about weighing the pros and the cons about what medications you do continue to take during the pregnancy. If you need it, take it, the doctors are going to do everything they can to balance your baby's health and your own.

Congrats on your pregnancy and hope we can help you out on your journey!

To be pregnant and with a fibro both happening at the same time can really be very challenging. I have heard stories about it, but it varies in every individual. The stories and experiences are mixed and it was always a learning moment for me hearing it, so I am passing it on. For some women, they never had fibro all their lives, not until they conceived. Of course they were totally clueless on what that is and how that happened for they never had history of fibro and never experienced it all their lives. For some women who had fibro prior pregnancy, the attack of pain was lessen. Some were even lucky to not experience an attack for the whole duration of pregnancy. But after birth, slowly it crawled back. The most unfortunate of all would be the women who were not given the chance to escape fibro even during pregnancy. They had to endure so many things, so many changes, and to cope to the difficulties of both carrying a child and the pain.

TO be on the safer side, heat compress is the best solution for pregnant women with fibro attacks. Taking pain relievers and muscle relaxants is not advisable during pregnancy, and we all know the reason why. So to at least lessen the pain, heat compress in the parts where pain is is applied. Also, support coming from the people that surround these pregnant women is a huge help.

I don't know. I have heard that some problems (in some people) actually go into remission during pregnancy. For others, I assume it's worse or no change. I can only imagine how dealing with both at the same time could be quite difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back