Not open for further replies.

dcloutier

Diagnosis
10/2005
Country
US
State
IL
I have a 10 hour long car ride tomorrow that I am dreading. As much as being physical and moving hurts me, so does just sitting in that stupid car. ha.

My boyfriend and kids and I are going to visit my parents, so it's a super exciting reason to make the drive, I just am not looking forward to the pain during and the days after.

Anyone have any good tips for making it a little more bearable?

Thanks!

I would suggest taking breaks at road stops or somewhere where you can stretch your muscles. Or take ice packs with you. And maybe some bio-heat or icy hot. Are you driving the whole way down without stopping over nite? If not I would suggest trying to cut the ride in half and stop for the night somwhere. Preferably a hotel with a pool and hottub.

Definitely do the things Libragirl67 mentioned. That usually helps me. Even though moving hurts, it is best to get out and stretch every once in a while...that way it wont be as bad when you finally get there :) Good luck and have fun!

Here is a tip that I want to share: Everytime we are in for a long ride, we search on what places are there worthy to be seen along the way. Not necessarily mean scenic spots or scenic destinations. Cafes or restaurants that are worth trying may be part of the list. We would go there and that serves as our stop over. In a way, the driver and the passengers can have a little "rest" from the long drive. It may lead to a longer travel, but at least, it breaks the monotony of a long hour road trip.

Here is a tip that I want to share: Everytime we are in for a long ride, we search on what places are there worthy to be seen along the way. Not necessarily mean scenic spots or scenic destinations. Cafes or restaurants that are worth trying may be part of the list. We would go there and that serves as our stop over. In a way, the driver and the passengers can have a little "rest" from the long drive. It may lead to a longer travel, but at least, it breaks the monotony of a long hour road trip.

Good suggestions. I also like to have a plan before leaving. Thanks for sharing.

Taking breaks so that you can stretch is always a good idea. I think listening to good music will also help for a long car journey, as it may help to take your thought processes off the pain. Either listening to music or talking is a good idea too. Basically anything that can keep you as distracted as possible will surely help you to cope.

This is what we do, too. "Stretching the legs" for a few minutes at a time usually doesn't make a big noticeable difference with the Fibro I've heard, but it may help to delay the start of the worse pain. We always try to have a list of restaurants and diners along the way that we want to try, things to see, hidden gems.

Our drives are usually at least 9 or 10 hours and without the number of breaks we take, it would be a lot worse, I know, whether for the family member with Fibro or any other chronic pain issues.

I feel for you... I can't take a car ride any longer than an hour.... tops! I take a cold/hot pack with me to ease the joints... specially my knees when I'm in a car. And we try to stop regularly so I can get out & just walk around for even 15 minutes or so! And I always make sure the day before I get enough rest & relaxation... making sure I take my meds as prescribed... & take them with me on my trip & have them close for when I need. My worst pain is my feet right now... they get real achy & crampy if I sit too long... & swell around the ankles. So if I can climb in the back seat & put them up... that helps!

I cheat.

I get, or at least used to get, some of my very best sleep in the car on long trips! I haven't been on a long trip in nearly 2 years though, and that was pre-diagnosis for Fibro, though I already had the back problems.

Sleeping in long drives is pretty cool idea. But if it just the two of you, and you sleep whilst on a long trip, the trip can be very boring for the one who is driving the car. He has no one to talk to and he has no source of entertainment. LOL. But if there are more than two in the car, it is okay and you can get away with sleeping.

One trick also is to just enjoy the scenery. Sometimes, a picturesque sight takes our mind away from the aches and challenges of a long drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back