Not open for further replies.

glacier

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
SP
State
san cristobal
Have you felt any pain derived from the kind of work that you have? Recently, I have been feeling a lot of pain in the back. To be particular, the upper left area of my back. I had a hint that it could be because of the long hours of working in the computer. The nature of my job and the jobs I previously had all were computer-related and this is the first time that I have encountered this. According to our company physician who checked on me, my table is too high for me and the kind of posture I have when working is bad. I am just starting in this new company and is having second thoughts of requesting for a new table. Besides, looks like I am the only one having the problem despite that we have the same size and height of tables. For the meantime, I put some anti-pain creams every time I got. Though it helps a lot, applying it eats time during working hours.

Do you also experience pain because of the kind of work that you have?

glacier,
I would say don't put off asking for a different desk because your the only one with the problem. If the company physician recommanded you have another desk, then his report is backing you up so ask for another desk. If it is for your health then it is worthwhile and important. You might also try wearing on of those bands that support the lower back, until you get your new desk. It may or may not help. But straining from an ackward position will get worse instead of better over time.

Hope this helps you make up your mind about the best thing to do. Good Luck.

"Besides, looks like I am the only one having the problem despite that we have the same size and height of tables."

Yes, but everyone else isn't the same height as you!

Also, are you sure the desk can't be lowered? They can be in some cubical-style desks, and some stand-alone desks have feet that can be adjusted up and down by about an inch, so you may not even need a new desk.

Thanks for the concerns. I am also having second doubts of asking for a new desk since I am just new there. Looking at the desk, there is no way O can lower its height. I also checked on the chair and I thought I was lucky enough because it can be adjusted to a certain height, only to find out that it can just be adjusted to a lower height. What I need is to adjust the chair higher, so to cope with the height of the desk. I think I have to buy a cushion for the meantime to pad my chair and make me a bit higher.

Thanks for the concerns. I am also having second doubts of asking for a new desk since I am just new there.

Maybe buying a cushion would work... but I can say without any doubt that if I'd be suffering pain like that from work, new job or not, I'd be requesting a new desk. I'd let them know that the company doc suggested the desk height is causing me pain. They should certainly honor your wishes because if it causes you permanent damage, it's a liability they won't want to deal with later.

To answer the original question, I have had a job with horrible back pain from the way I needed to lean over a factory table for the work (not computer related) and they moved me to another section... thankfully it eventually worked itself out because I couldn't have taken much more of that! :-(

Mariposa has a good idea. If you can't lower your desk, maybe you can raise your chair somehow. Possibly even purchase your own chair and bring it in, unless they are particular about the furniture all matching. I bought a used Steelcase Criterion chair at a used office furniture place. They basically buy furniture that big offices and law firms have decided they don't want when it's time to redecorate or whatnot. My husband got a solid chair that adjusts in every single direction, including being able to tilt the seat (not the back, the seat!) for $90. The chair normally retails for $900. He says it's made a world of difference for him.

I am back! I bought a cushion to make me higher and I feel much comfortable working. Less back pain now, but it still attacks. I wish that eventually, it will not bother me anymore. The cushion greatly helps in addressing this problem.

I am back! I bought a cushion to make me higher and I feel much comfortable working. Less back pain now, but it still attacks. I wish that eventually, it will not bother me anymore. The cushion greatly helps in addressing this problem.

Great to hear that a cushion is helping! Maybe you're dealing with what I was when I first started the factory work... I truly wasn't used to sitting like that working for all those hours at a time and my back, neck, and shoulders paid the price. I eventually (before I was moved) learned how to stretch more even if it wasn't break time and that made a difference, too.

I was able to stretch out... particularly my shoulders, without it appearing that I was slacking. (It wasn't a very nice place to work for, and visible "stretching" during work hours probably would have gotten me a trip to the office.)

If you've raised your seat via a cushion, you may find that you now also need something to rest your feet on. I find that I have to do this with the kitchen stools we have. A phone book turned out to work great (and hey, what else do we use phone books for these days?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back