Muscle relaxants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't muscle relaxants addictive? Do you need to watch how often you're taking them?

I am sure addiction possibilities depend on the person using the relaxant and the medication being used. I have seen the term "habit forming" but not "addiction" when perusing PDR's and warning labels.

Avoiding addiction is a wonderful goal, but the choice between addiction and writhing, spastic always lead me back to the same conclusion.

I'll have some addiction with some wonderful pain control on the side, thanks.

The dependency developed with medications prescribed to ease legitimate pain is more akin to the diabetic's need for insulin than a junky's need for and elicit drug.

I was given Flexeril, Skelaxin and Tramadol 2 yrs ago for my neck pain and stiffness. I hardly used them and still had most of the pills up until a couple of months ago. Lately the all over pains and stiffness were such that I took the tramadol and flexeril together before bed and would wake up feeling like a million bucks. Desperate times/desperate measures! They're all gone now, lol.

I have baclofen for my back and Tramadol for pain. I try to avoid taking either unless really bad pain day or I need sleep. There is family history of addiction so I am always leery about that when my Dr prescribes anything. My Tramadol dose is quite high (allowed 1-2 pills every 6 hrs with a daily max of 8 pills) but if I use it I only take one and stretch it out as long as possible, usually taken at bedtime.

I take muscle relaxants every so often, Tramadol by far is one of the muscle relaxant that I have been taking that I think somehow works for me. I try to stay away from any meds but there are just some days that the pain is too much to ignore. Days when acupuncture won't even help. Though there are also days that even muscle relaxant doesn't help just like most of you here I lie awake wondering when the pain would go away and what med would I have to take.

I tried Flexural but they made me dizzy. I've been taking Tramadol for Rheumatoid arthritis pain for years, but can only take one as two makes me nauseous. The doc told me to take Tylenol PM, not very effective. Seems my new rheumy is reluctant to give me strong meds and I'm not sure I could handle them anyway, I seem to be sensitive to meds. But it would sure be nice to sleep again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back