Not open for further replies.

Little Bev

Diagnosis
08/2013
Country
US
State
FL
Hi. My name is Bev. I finally got diagnosed yesterday! Not that I wanted a diagnosis of fibromyalgia, but I wanted to know what was wrong with me and why I was having so much pain and sensitivity (even though in the back of my mind I knew). I even asked my Rheumatologist if there were any other blood tests he could do to rule out other things ( I already had my thyroid tested and general lab work done) and he said no, that everything I was experiencing pointed to fibromyalgia. My husband told me all along that he thought that is what I had and I wanted him to be so wrong. My Dr. said "you look like you have a lot of anxiety". I replied "well, when you have this much pain, it can't be helped". He assured me we would get through this. He put me on Cymbalta 30 mg to start out with. He had already put me on gabapentin a few years back, because at that time, he diagnosed me with myofascial pain syndrome". Since then, I injured my back at the gym and it wouldn't heal. I went through spinal decompression, physical and massage therapy, but nothing worked. My pain increased throughout my body. That's when I went back to see my Rheumatologist., and after the second visit, he diagnosed me. So, I am on Cymbalta and gabapentin.
I have found that walking, riding my bike and doing some gardening helps me to relax. When I have a lot of pain, I tell my husband that I don't feel good and he understands. He lies on the floor with me and holds me or wherever I can get comfortable. Just that little bit helps in a tremendous way. I have learned to listen to my body and when to slow down. I am one of those people that thinks they have to get everything done in one day. But now, I am learning not to "sweat the small stuff." :smile:

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis as it is not fun for anyone. I hope you are on a path to getting a treatment plan that can make a difference for you. But I also understand that in some ways a DX can help. It at least gives you a point to work on getting better.

Hi Bev! Your husband sounds like an amazing human being :) It's so nice he shows you his support in such a nice way, and understands when you're not feeling well. Having someone to support you like that really helps a lot :) I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis tho, but at least now you know what is going on. It took them a long time to finally diagnose me, I felt a bit relief when I was told they knew what I had. I was afraid it'd be something worse, like cancer for example.

Best of luck, Bev :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back