Not open for further replies.

Colby

Diagnosis
07/1991
Country
US
State
OH
I'm a new member, probably one of the few male members.
I am not new to fibromyalgia, however. I have had this condition for many years - decades.

I was initially diagnosed in 1991, when many more doctors than now dismissed overall body pain. Fibromyalgia had only recently been given it's present name - it had a number of names previously. And most doctors blew it off as non-existant. I happened to visit, just by accident, an older doctor (I'll call him doc #2 for clarity) for ongoing prescription things from my regular doc (doc #1) who was out of the country on extended leave . Doc #1 was foreign born and took yearly extended holiday back to the old country .)
I had been with my doc (doc #1) for many years at that time (and I stayed with him when he returned until he retired about 15 years later.

When I visited doc #2 for the first time that day, at the end of my appt. I got up the nerve to ask him "Why do I hurt all over?" He looked at me and said "What do you mean? Explain that." I did. told him that I hurt all over - some days not a bad as others. He wanted to know where. He grabbed my arm and said "here?" or "here?" I told it was in many places - not constant, but bad enough that it affected the way I did things, my participation in things, etc.
He poked and prodded - pushed on back shoulder muscles .. Said he thought I had fibromyalgia. I had never heard of that.

Turns out he said he had always been interested in pain - he was a GP MD. He gave me a cortisone injection in each shoulder muscle along my clavicle on each side that day. I knew that wasn't going to do anything long term - because I had had this condition for a very long time - since my youth. But I was somewhat happy to have gotten this pain thing off my chest - and found that there was a name for it, and that it was a condition.
I had never told any other person about this pain condition. Simple reasons. When I was young I thought everyone felt that way. I never knew any different. But as I got older, it tended to worsen and I was having difficulty living normally.

I was approaching middle age when I saw doc #2. I have always been a very active person. Swim teams when younger, water skiing and snow skiing. Horse back riding for many years - I taught riding for 6 years - had an Arabian - have been ballroom dancing for decades - even today, swam laps for decades - now gym and weightlifting since I became allergic to pool chlorination chemicals... Lots of activity.

That day Doc #2 gave me his card with his home phone number on it (I know. Very unusual for a doc). But seeing him that day and him giving me that card probably saved my life. You see, a few days later I had a bleeding ulcer at home - a gusher - and I did not know what it was. I'd go to the bathroom and pass black diarrhea - three, four times. Started to pass out - thought I was getting the flu - and lived alone. I remembered his card - called him at 11:00 at night - he told me - bleeding ulcer and get to a hospital immediately. In the hospital for a week - nearly died. The why? I had been taking aspirin like candy for the fibro for years. Didn't know what else to do - I felt bad - didn't tell anyone. The aspirin ate a hole in my stomach. I didn't know about that danger back then either.

And this is what I think goes on with some men who have it. They don't complain - because that is not "manly" - nor is it perceived as manly by others - another reason to hide it. Many may self-medicate with a variety of things. And you can't blame them - they feel bad. But no one may know.

Early docs tended to put me on anti-depressants - they never worked - just made be feel bad - and for years. I've been on a lot of different meds in my life for this pain most of no use.
I must say that I now have a very helpful and believing doctor. It makes a big difference.

That's it.

Colby,
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story. I struggled for years with weird symptoms and pain, but was often told it was all growing pains or all in my head. At least you had 2 good doctors, that cared about your well-being and helped you deal with your health problems, even if the diagnosis was unclear. Consider yourself a very lucky man in that respect.

I try to warn other members about the dangerous side effect from medications. I use Excedrin Migraine, but only sparingly because of the aspirin in it. It helps me with pain and my sinus headaches. But bleeding ulcers are no laughing matter, thank goodness for doctor #2.

I hope coming here helps you in the topic's you read and by asking questions and sharing with others. Be sure to read the back posts as well, for lots of good advice. Come often and enjoy your time here, and make new friends. Glad you found us! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back