Not open for further replies.

Siderea

Diagnosis
10/2013
Country
US
State
ND
I am all alone at work this morning, and will be for a few more hours. I work in a small office, and my co-workers are all coming in late because they have to work the evening, or sick (one of my co-workers has Fibro too!) I'm struggling a lot to accomplish anything because I'm just so tired, and no one is here to put me to work. The phone has only rung a few times and there isn't any pressing task to get done. That's not to say there isn't work that should be getting done.

In the mean time, my shoulders are aching and sending sharp electrical pulses down my arms and my joints are swollen and stiff. My elbows are tender to massage. I'm also really cold.... really really really cold. I even wore my winter boots today just to help with the cold.

So in a situation like this, where I'm honestly just too tired to think straight or care about work, what would you do? I'm worried about how it's becoming increasingly difficult to care about work, mainly just because my brain feels way too lazy. I normally get excited by projects, but now I think, "Do I have to? Can't I just sleep instead? I suppose it's worth it for the paycheck so I can pay doctor bills..."

Also, in situations like this, do you find that caffeine is helpful or harmful? Coffee sometimes just makes me really jittery and anxious, but doesn't offer me enough energy to make it worth drinking. Other times it seems to help give me enough gumption to take care of my work, despite feeling lackadaisical. I never know if it's a good idea to drink it or not!

When I find myself in a similar situation, I am mindful to drink lots of water and either take short walks around the office of do some light stretching in my office. Often, the bit of activity helps to 'wake me up' in a way that caffeine seems to not be able to do any longer!

I'm with btatro, I like to get some movement going. I'll do some basic shoulder stretching, as this is where I hold a lot of my pain/tension. I will go for a bit of stroll. As well, make sure that I'm properly hydrated and nourished.

I feel the same day... my brain is so lazy, and most of the day I feel so little motivation to work, I guess the only thing that keeps me going is my habit. Yeah, working is more like a habit for me not. I used to enjoy it, but now I just wish I could just go to bed and just forget about everything else! Like seriously, f**k everything I just want to go to bed! LOL, but I go back to the reality asap... I need the cash to pay my meds.

I tried coffee: awful idea. I felt awake, but at the same time tired! Not as good as they say, at least not for me. It makes me feel way worse.

I have moments like that everyday, whether at home or at work. Walking around a little or sipping water helps somewhat, but not always. One thing I've found that helps me is substituting what I can do for what I can't. If I'm at work and am too brain fogged to concentrate on computer work, I'll get up and do filing or refill the printer paper or something physical. If I'm too ouchy or tired to do something physical, I'll try to find some task that I can do sitting. The tasks I do may not always be what I'd normally give priority to on a good day, but on a bad day, I just try to find something that I can do so I don't feel useless at work or at home.

You can try drinking water and getting up to walk around, but you might also consider taking a B complex vitamin supplement.

Don't megadose, just take one about half way through your work shift. I found that B complex vitamins can help with fatigue.

Also, try adding a few walnuts to your diet!

I usually only drink one cup of coffee per day. But I find if I am flagging in the afternoon or the evening, a cup does boost me. I'm convinced it's psychosomatic. Coffee=start of the day/energy/productivity etc. But I also agree that getting up and getting moving is helpful. Once I get started with a task it seems easier to accomplish it.

This is the worst! My trick is lots of cups of tea (not as harsh as coffee, and much more soothing!). The tea also provides warmth - sometimes I'll make a cup just to hold on to! I also eat - a lot. I eat to stay awake, even if I'm not really hungry. A granola bar, an orange, some carrot sticks, anything to a) give you something to do and B) provide a bit of energy.

A hot cup of green tea with honey will warm you and give you quick energy. Follow it with more fluids and light exercise. Is it dark and dingy inside? Open up the blinds and let in the daylight. Hopefully before you know it, a co worker will appear and the place will come alive.
15 minute power naps can work wonders- but can also cost you your job- proceed with caution! But if you must- set the alarm on your phone....then relax/ meditate 10 minutes. Might refresh you.

Hello,
Sometimes it's boring that you are alone at work and nobody with you to talk and help but at the me time you have to realize that doing work on our own is not a normal thing....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back