Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
GE
State
Berlin
When my fibro flares up, I'm often confined to my house (or the bed) with not many options of things to do. It's so easy to get depressed in those moments. What kinds of things do you guys like to do, to keep yourself distracted? What I often do is listen to relaxing music, or if I have the nerves to do it I watch a movie or two.

I don't have much time for myself anymore since I am a full time caregiver, but in that find caring for my mom is a distraction from the pain, but not from the fatigue. So I play on my computer or read a good book, visit a friend on the phone or watch movies. Music is one of a favorites in the way of country or plain violin music, or different music artists. I often write stories and spend time on the forum reading. :)

Whenever I'm feeling a bit down I watch some of my favorite programs on TV, I also play computer games or talk with my best friend who is living abroad now. Reading a good book can also help :) I also like to solve puzzles, write and surf the web. Those things help most of the time, but one of the things that can really take my mind off things is cooking, for some reason no matter how stressed or sad I feel once I start cooking I feel better, after a few minutes I don't feel tense anymore. It does wonders.

Thanks 1sweed and trellum :) I think getting some me time is crucial. But even when I am doing something for myself, I often notice my brain is somewhere totally different. Thus I don't actually feel like I'm relaxing. Not sure if anyone else has to do this as well, but I need to consciously remind myself to stop thinking about my pain/problems for a moment in order to really 'let go'. Practicing meditation has helped to control negative or compulsive thoughts but it's still hard when your brain is used to constantly thinking about thousand (unhelpful) things : ]

Video games. If you get a good role playing game (rpg), it's like being immersed in a movie, with you as the main character, finding your way through the world, the world of the character. RPGs are made to be immersive. Once you get a hang of the controller, it is very easy to get lost in those worlds. There are also other games: Shooters, which are kinda fun, word games, etc. Gaming also keeps your mind working, and that is important. It's easy for me, because I love horror and sci fi, and there are plenty of games in horror and sci fi out there, so I'm set. but there are also many other subjects. That is what works for me. Reading and watching tv just don't do it.

Thanks 1sweed and trellum :) I think getting some me time is crucial. But even when I am doing something for myself, I often notice my brain is somewhere totally different. Thus I don't actually feel like I'm relaxing. Not sure if anyone else has to do this as well, but I need to consciously remind myself to stop thinking about my pain/problems for a moment in order to really 'let go'. Practicing meditation has helped to control negative or compulsive thoughts but it's still hard when your brain is used to constantly thinking about thousand (unhelpful) things : ]

Hi Tigressa! You are not alone :) Right now I'm in a lot pain and I could go the whole day thinking about it, unless I put the effort and try stop thinking about it. I know how hard it is... Do you suffer from OCD? I only ask because suffering from that makes it harder to let go of that kind of thoughts, actually my mind is bombarded with those thoughts hen I'm relaxing. This can be fixed with medication :)

My cousin has this problem and his only relief was playing video games. He entered new worlds and simply forgot about the pain until it had gone away. I don't guarantee that this will work, but I can recommend this method to you. You'll have a lot of fun too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back