Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
NM
The neurologist that I have been seeing finally got most of the worst symptoms under control so that it is easier to work. He put me on modafinil and gabapentin and I feel better than I have for years. Although I feel better, I don't seem to have any more energy. I didn't get any extra spoons. I feel better but can't do any more than I used to. I can overdo as easily as before. Is this normal?

I guess it's normal but I understand that you were expecting to go back to the way you were before you were sick. Having fibro (to me) means learning how to pace yourself, learning to adapt your lifestyle around your daily symptoms. It's all about keeping an optimistic mindset even when things don't go your way. I would focus on the fact that you got your symptoms under control and accept your low energy levels as part of who you are right now. IT's better to acceppt and learn to live with it, than try to question and fight it. I wish you well :)

It is normal, but it also depends on your age. I can no longer do as much as I used to either and I'm just 27 years old. My energy levels have decreased considerably. The only thing I'm taking to help myself right now is a green tea supplement. That supplement seems to help me stay awake and more alert during the day, sadly my energy levels will never be the same, but since I take this I don't feel as fatigued as before. You should try it :) Plus, it seems it's helping me lose weight!

I am feeling much "better" since I began taking Cymbalta with Lyrica, but just as you, I just do not have the energy that I used to. I take Adderall for ADHD, and when that wears off, I just collapse!

It is very hard to remember when you begin to feel "normal" again that you cannot just go back to doing everything you used to. And the funny thing is, people around you expect you to get back to it too! I may be able to get up and cook supper again and clean the house, but I cannot bust out 4 loads of laundry, make supper, vacuum the house, play with my 5-year-old and bake a wicked awesome cake all in the same day anymore, ya know!?
Hell, I don't think I can even go back to work again. I don't know what to do with myself half the time, so I just keep cleaning the house, which is a wicked mess cuz I haven't cleaned it in like a year since I got really sick and haven't gotten out of bed...

I wish you luck. Remember, your healing has begun. Pace yourself. Do what you can. Try setting 3 goals a day & smile when you finish them.

It's okay to feel confused. I think this disease makes you very confused at times. My friend has become paranoid because of it. You need to calm down and wait.

I think everyone goes through this, I certainly do. On my good days I want to get things done and so I go out and do my gardening or clean house and by noon I am fatigued. If I had remembered to pace myself I would have been all right for the rest of the week, but when the pain is gone my body seems to think it is cured. Some days though the pain is not as bad, but my body lags do to fatigue that can not be shaken off. It is then that rest is still the most important thing for your body, because it is recovering from the pain. Give yourself plenty of time and then step back into doing things at a slower pace and try not to worry about what does not get done. :)

I don't have this disease, but I've realized what my friend goes through. It's very difficult but we are here to help you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back