Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NC
Are there any conditions you would compare to fibro, in terms of pain and severity? I'm just asking because my sister is starting to suffer from symptoms similar to my mother, who is diagnosed with fibro, and I'm trying to consider what else it could be. Her pain seems to be localized along her joints, she's in her early 30s.

Joint pain can be associated with all sorts of conditions from inflammation, allergic responses, malnutrition, toxin buidups, to diseases and illnesses. I used to have terrible aching in my hands, wrists, elbows, and ankles. The problem for me was severe inflammation and toxin build up. Cutting out everything that causes inflammation from my diet and taking supplements helped substantially, but I also got immediate relief from sweat treatments, specifically wrapping hot clay around my joints to sweat out toxins and using an infrared sauna many times. Cod liver oil daily helps too, like a lubricant for joints.

You might consider other forms of arthritis like RA or Lupus, or even Lymes Disease. These affect the joints more, as fibro affects the muscles around the joints. There is also osteoarthritis that affects the joints. If your sister can see a Rheumatologist, tests could be run to determine if it is fibro or something more serious that does joint damage. You can do a web search to read about these other forms and see if any of the symtoms are similar to what your sister is having trouble with.

Other forms of things can include pinched nerves or spinal problems, or other illnesses like Siderea has suggested. :)

Just off the top of my head, I would first start thinking about various forms of arthritis. But then again, if you and your sister share the same mother, it would be a natural thing to think of Fibro first. Being mostly at her joints, though, I'd be guessing some kind of arthritis first.

I would also think of arthritis first. It can strike at any age. I have moderately advanced osteoarthritis in my hips and spine that doesn't explain everything that is going on with me. So, she could have a couple things going on. She'll have to spend time with her doctor and make sure he is listening to what she tells him in regards to symptoms.

Someone recently brought up aspartame poisoning. The symptoms mimic a number of conditions including: Lupus, MS and Fibro. The poisoning happens over time. Aspartame is used in an incredible amount of food items.

Someone recently brought up aspartame poisoning. The symptoms mimic a number of conditions including: Lupus, MS and Fibro. The poisoning happens over time. Aspartame is used in an incredible amount of food items.

I find this incredibly interesting! Could you name a few of the foods that have high amounts of this? I wasn't even aware that it's found in food at all... I would have thought only in medications!

Yes, I know I can google it :-o and *will* but I think it would be great to have a list here, too... or maybe start a new thread about it so this one isn't hijacked?

Aspartame is in a ton of processed food, but most notoriously in diet sodas. Usually, food with aspartame will also have loads of other chemical ingredients that cause or worsen chronic illness. It is extremely important to eliminate all processed (boxed or prepared) foods from your diet in order to eliminate the possibility that food toxins are causing the issue.

I've eaten organically most of my life due to allergies to corn and wheat. I have generally avoided processed foods. I still got arthritis (inflammation.) Cleaning up my diet even more helped a lot, but so are treatments are supplements.

I have started a research study on this today and already I'm shocked at things that may contain aspartame that I never even imagined could be a problem. The first two that surprised me were yogurt and cereal. I assume that would be the yogurts that advertise being lower in calories, right?

I have started a research study on this today and already I'm shocked at things that may contain aspartame that I never even imagined could be a problem. The first two that surprised me were yogurt and cereal. I assume that would be the yogurts that advertise being lower in calories, right?
If food is advertised as being lower calorie, it is almost always because it replaces real sugar with artificial sugar, and aspartame is a very common artificial sugar. Stick to the brands with real sugar, or better yet, no sweeteners at all.

Arthritis can be pretty tough! My grandma had that and suffered so much because of it. Almost towards the end she lost mobility in her hands, I mean, she could still use her fingers a bit, but not like before. It was terrifying to see her like that! She lost it all after some years. I heard lupus can be quite tough, and untreated celiac disease can also cause symptoms that mimic fibro quite well.

Aspartame is in a ton of processed food, but most notoriously in diet sodas. Usually, food with aspartame will also have loads of other chemical ingredients that cause or worsen chronic illness. It is extremely important to eliminate all processed (boxed or prepared) foods from your diet in order to eliminate the possibility that food toxins are causing the issue.

I've eaten organically most of my life due to allergies to corn and wheat. I have generally avoided processed foods. I still got arthritis (inflammation.) Cleaning up my diet even more helped a lot, but so are treatments are supplements.

Over here it seems everything has aspartame. What scares me the most is the fact most gelatin brands over here, even the ones that aren't light... have aspartame K! I can't understand that? Why using aspartame to sweeten something that aren't labeled as ''light''? Products kids will eat! There is only one gelatin brand that doesn't use aspartame... only one brand!

Frightening!

That's a good question indeed because most doctors will just label a person as having Fibromyalgia instead of really looking into their complaints. For instance, I was complaining of constant elbow pain. Most of the time our elbows are bent or we are resting on it to write, type, etc. Two years, almost, and no one looked into the pain. They just wrote it off as being a part of Fibromyalgia. Finally I got an xray ordered which showed calcification in my tendon from prolonged pain. I was then diagnosed with medical epicondylitis. At first, a lot of doctors pretend not to have heard of Fibromyalgia which is why it is best to go to a Rheumatologist for diagnosis. There the rheumatologist can test for other diseases that could cause joint pain or inflammation. Like many mentioned, Rheumatoid arthritis or any other forms of arthritis, lupus, thyroid issues, chronic fatigue syndrome, Lyme's disease etc.

Mainly arthritis maybe. Many types of pains can have a variety or problems that associate with them. Arthritis could be the main culprit since you describe she has joint pain and it seems likely to be that. It could be aspartame poisoning as some members above have mentioned as well. It's good to talk to a doctor and talk about all possible symptoms. Try to ask her as many symptoms that she may be having because we can't tell for sure if she only has joint pains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back