Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2011
Country
NL
State
NL
Hi guys! I'm a bit worried right now, it seems my cousin is showing some symptoms of fibro, she went to the rheumatologist, she got the trigger point test, but nothing. What does that mean? She will get extra tests done (the sleeping one and so on), we really want to believe it's not fibro, but at the same time we are so afraid something else might be causing her symptoms.

Has anyone been diagnosed with fibro despite the fact there was no tender points found during the trigger point test? Can this even be possible?

yes, I have been diagnosed with Fibro long before the tender points started. Thats what happened to me anyways, I guess it can hit us at anytime. I hope everything turns out fine for your cousin.

Thanks, Lana! I guess only time will tell :( I don't wish her to have fibro or anything like that, but we are really scared it could just be something far worse, like MS or Lymes disease. She will get tested for that very soon actually. Fingers crossed! Thanks for taking the time to reply to this, I hope more forum members share their knowledge and experiences as well, so helpful :)

Can her symptoms be more CFS related than Fibromyalgia? There seems to be some similarities between two (headache, poor concentration, joint pain, muscle pain, non restful sleep etc).

I'm going to talk to my new Rheumatologist about CFS because even though I have the trigger points. I've always had pain that moves from one joint to another without swelling. I never knew that was a symptom of CFS. I remember being younger and telling doctors that I never really know what joint is sore because whatever hurts the most is what hurts at that moment. They'd look at me like I was making it all up.

I hope she finds out what's ailing her though. Nothing is worse than not knowing what's wrong.

Trellum i hope your cousin is going to be o.k. and i hope for the best. My back is so tender that you can't even touch it. Not certain i have anything useful to add other than keeping your cousin in my thoughts. Good luck and keep us posted please.

My friend has been diagnosed with it after the tender points had started but I would recommend you to take as many measures as possible to do it before you might get a diagnosis.

Thanks, we are actually going to wait for her to get the other tests done and see where it takes us. All I know is she is been in pain for a while, just like I was. I hope it's not something else, she is so young!

Trellum i hope your cousin is going to be o.k. and i hope for the best. My back is so tender that you can't even touch it. Not certain i have anything useful to add other than keeping your cousin in my thoughts. Good luck and keep us posted please.

Oh mike :( So sorry to hear that! I hope you find at least some relief soon, we all know how good is to get at least ''some'' relief from time to time. My neck has been killing me for days, stiff neck muscles again, ugh! Hang in there, Mike! And thanks for taking the time to reply this most, I hadn't seen you around in a long time! I was starting to get worried.

Can her symptoms be more CFS related than Fibromyalgia? There seems to be some similarities between two (headache, poor concentration, joint pain, muscle pain, non restful sleep etc).

I'm going to talk to my new Rheumatologist about CFS because even though I have the trigger points. I've always had pain that moves from one joint to another without swelling. I never knew that was a symptom of CFS. I remember being younger and telling doctors that I never really know what joint is sore because whatever hurts the most is what hurts at that moment. They'd look at me like I was making it all up.

I hope she finds out what's ailing her though. Nothing is worse than not knowing what's wrong.

LivetoErr! Thanks a lot for your reply, actually you gave me something to think about! I will definitely tel my cousin to ask her doctor about CFS! In ever understood that disease all that well, but that would make a lot sense! Actually I'm also starting to wonder if I could be suffering from that as well, since I do get joint pain with no swelling at all and it moves from one joint to another. I just hurt all over, sometimes I'm not even sure if it's the muscles or just the joints.

My cousin has the same, I think. I wonder if being related has something to do? Could CFS have genetic links?

I do too, what scares us the most right now isn't knowing for sure. Right now a lot things are in my mind, hoping it's nothing serious.

Thanks, we are actually going to wait for her to get the other tests done and see where it takes us. All I know is she is been in pain for a while, just like I was. I hope it's not something else, she is so young!
I hope that too! I wish you good luck with the diagnosis and have faith in her.

Thanks! Soon we should know more about what's affecting her! She seems to be feeling much better lately, but you never know. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with her!

While I don't know for sure, if there is a genetic component, it wouldn't surprise me.

I was listening to the doctors on the radio at some point (I listen to it whenever I'm in bed and not sleeping) and they were talking about some disease. It might have been the breast cancer gene, I can't quite remember. Anyways, they were saying that it was genetic but the right factors have to occur to actually have the disease to occur. I know you can have the breast cancer gene and never get breast cancer. It's probably why diseases can skip generations.

However, I just did a quick Google search and my theory was basically verified. Apparently, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and other autoimmune diseases are linked to genes within the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis and the sympathetic nervous system. These genes regulate stress, digestion, immune system response, mood, etc. (basically, everything we experience with Fibromyalgia and/or CFS). Even though the gene(s) have malfunctioned there needs to be some other aspect which sets the disease in motion. What they're trying to figure out is whether or not an infection caused the malfunction of the gene(s) or the gene(s) were wonky when an infection occurred and created the perfect storm.

Anyways, look up the symptoms of CFS, you might be surprised.

Thanks for the input! I actually heard something similar, I'm no geneticist, but I'm very interested in genetics. It's of my understanding that both parents need to be carriers of the defective gene, the child would have a 50/50 chance to develop the disease. I'm guessing if fibro is indeed a genetic thing, then I'm guess it would all work similar. Not 100% sure tho.

I recently read the trigger point test is outdated and should not be used to diagnose fibro any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back