Not open for further replies.

Corvid

Distinguished member
Diagnosis
06/2012
Country
US
State
Does anyone here get shortness of breath and fast heart rate as part of their fibro? I know I've lost some cardio fitness since I got sick two years ago, but before that I was very active, and even with the fibro, I'm not bed-bound (I work full time).

Lately, though, I've been noticing that mild exertion like sweeping the floor or taking the garbage out has me breathing/heart beating as hard and sweating as hard as I used to when I'd get up to my maximum target heart rate on the elliptical or treadmill. I mean, I'm not in as good a shape as when I was training, but sheesh . . . the garbage? really?

So I was wondering if this is just a fibro thing or whether I should start freaking out that I'm gonna drop dead of a coronary or something.

Thanks, all!

So I was wondering if this is just a fibro thing or whether I should start freaking out that I'm gonna drop dead of a coronary or something.
Thanks, all!

I really don't know if it's common with fibro or not, but I'm thinking maybe it's another issue. I don't think freaking out is the answer :wink: but I suspect it's something you'll want to mention to your doc asap for peace of mind if nothing else.

You might want to have your doctor run tests for a thyroid disorder. Do you have a slow pulse rate? There are other causes for these symptoms, such as lung and heart problems, but is not something you general can blame on fibro. Please make a appointment to see your family doctor as soon as possible. :)

Corvid, those symptoms don't have anything to do with fibro, I suffer from shortness of breath as well, but mine is caused by my asthma and allergies. You should really see a doctor very soon, shortness of breath can be a worrisome symptoms if it's accompanied by a very persistent cough. Best of luck and keep us posted!

A friend of mine suffers from the same, fast heart rate,shortness of breath, but her doctor tells her that she is having panic attacks, so I do not know what exactly causes it.

A friend of mine suffers from the same, fast heart rate,shortness of breath, but her doctor tells her that she is having panic attacks, so I do not know what exactly causes it.

This might be one cause for these symptoms, but there are much more serious issues that present the same symptoms. I'd not assume it's a panic attack when this is something that without question needs to be seen by a doctor.

Is she sure? Panic attacks are truly awful, they go beyond shortness of breathe and fast heart rate. Panic attacks are that... panic attacks! It's a horrible experience I don't wish upon anyone. There is no way to accurately describe a panic attack with words (not for me) goes beyond the psychological and physical aspect. I hope your friend gets better soon and gets an accurate diagnosis.

I don't get shortness of breath, but I do have a fast heart rate. A fast heart rate is a side effect of Fibromyalgia. I've had many many xrays, CT scans and ultrasounds because my physician was worried it was something worse. But all the tests I had came out normal. In a resting state, my heartrate is 118, in a moving state, 140. It all terrified my physician, but he finally came to accept it really was due to my Fibromyalgia.

Does anyone here get shortness of breath and fast heart rate as part of their fibro? I know I've lost some cardio fitness since I got sick two years ago, but before that I was very active, and even with the fibro, I'm not bed-bound (I work full time).

Lately, though, I've been noticing that mild exertion like sweeping the floor or taking the garbage out has me breathing/heart beating as hard and sweating as hard as I used to when I'd get up to my maximum target heart rate on the elliptical or treadmill. I mean, I'm not in as good a shape as when I was training, but sheesh . . . the garbage? really?

Thanks, all!

Corvid, first of all, try and sit or lie down for a moment when it happens and try not to panic about dying. It will only stir up your heart even more. It sounds like you might have something as simple as low blood pressure. Why don't you go and have yourself checked out?

Covid, I do get the shortness of breath and racing heart when my thyroid gets hyper. Just a thought. If you haven't seen an Endocrinologist yet, you might want to. Also, with hyperthyroidism, panic attacks can be common. I continue to have thyroid issues that has my blood pressure all over the place at time, although my TSH, thyroid stimulating hormone is within the very wide range (.03-5.0). If you need to be tested for thyroid issues, don't rely on just the standard TSH blood test because it is not reliable. I hope you figure it out soon.

Sounds like it could be anxiety. I used to have this issue and then the rapid heartrate would cause me to go into a panic attack which would then worsen. It took about a year to really get myself mentally able to stay in check. Also, if it's not anxiety related, try drinking some more water. Orthostatic hypotension can happen due to dehydration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back