Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2014
Country
US
State
CA
I don't see a lot of people talking about using mobility aids, and I searched and there's not really any threads about it either!

I currently use a cane, but even on good days, going more than half a mile with it will guarantee a flare up, and on bad days I can't go out at all. I'm thinking of also getting a wheelchair, or maybe a rollator, since they have seats for when I need to rest and can be pushed like a wheelchair but is less bulky.

I'm just wondering who else uses mobility aids, when and how often you use them, and since there's not a lot of posts about it, if anyone has been thinking about getting one and has any questions!

I think I have read a few posts of some members who do use mobility aids, but no threads about it tho :( I'm actually surprised, one would think a lot folk over here do use mobility aids, at least from time to time! I don't use any kind of mobility aid, btw. I hope it is this way for a long time, back when I was overweight I did feel like using a cane tho.

My Dr's have said I should use a cane on my bad days, but I refuse to give in... I'm only in my mid 20s and don't want to draw any more attention to myself then I already do and don't want to depend on something like that yet.. I guess it's a pride thing....

My Dr's have said I should use a cane on my bad days, but I refuse to give in... I'm only in my mid 20s and don't want to draw any more attention to myself then I already do and don't want to depend on something like that yet.. I guess it's a pride thing....

I understand - I'm 23. People stare at me, sometimes say rude things, most of the time act like I'm not there. My friends have been treated worse, getting all sorts of rude questions, or having people grab them or their aids without asking. I've learned to cultivate a strong aura of 'leave me alone' so I think that has a little to do with it :p

From what I've seen, basically until you are visibly a senior, you will get strange looks and treatment from people for using an aid. I read an article by a woman in her 50s who gets asked "Aren't you too young to be using a cane?" all the time!

I'm personally anxious about using a wheelchair as I CAN walk and stand for short periods, and I know for a fact people think that anyone who uses a wheelchair shouldn't be able to walk at all and if you can wiggle your little toe they're going to call you a faker.

However the ability to be independent usually outweighs it for me. Plus the huge reductions in flare ups.

If you've considered it, you should try to get one to use around the house. That way you can get used to it and see if you like it, and spend a little less energy moving around at home. My roomate did that, and she almost never goes outside with it, but at least has one for emergencies.

I finally relented (decided not to wait on my insurance to approve it) and bought a wheelchair off Craigslist. It was very inexpensive for something that had never been used.

I can't walk or stand for long periods of time, and as I am a faithful San Diego ComicCon visitor, I just couldn't do it this year without something to help out.

What ever helps to keep me going, I don't care what people think. I was once told, you're too young... I just thanked them and moved on.

I may have to use a mobility device soon. But it is not for my Fibro actually. It would be more related to my auto immune disorder.

I am 47 and the same way......thought about going to a counselor, for my mental, and emotional, and fatigue, but I just couldn't bring myself to believe I really need it.....

I finally relented (decided not to wait on my insurance to approve it) and bought a wheelchair off Craigslist. It was very inexpensive for something that had never been used.

I can't walk or stand for long periods of time, and as I am a faithful San Diego ComicCon visitor, I just couldn't do it this year without something to help out.

I have been able to locate some really good finds over there as well, if you look well enough you can find almost everything you need in that place. Glad to hear you got that never used wheelchair for so cheap!

While I was at mayo they advised against using any thing that will cause your mind to remember that you are in pain. Sitting down and letting out a huge sigh of relief, talking about the pain all these things remind you that you are in pain and it still hasn't been dealt with, then your body creates more substance p and therefore you experience more pain. I'm guilty of it too but I am making an effort to not think about it and I have noticed less pain. They recommended parking farther out when you go places just so you can gain a little exercise which gives off natural endorphins and helps your pain. Just something to keep in mind.

Interesting post, links. I have to use a cane on my bad days. I get looks, but I dont care. I blew out my knee when I was 18 (caught my leg in between a skid loader and its bucket), so I already had a cane and had used it before. My Fibro flare ups attack my knees very often so I have no choice to use a cane.

I have never used a mobility aid, even during the times when I was in total agony. I would just take it easy, rest more, and ask my partner to drive me, instead of driving myself. I have seen many of those motorised types of wheelchairs around here, where people have enough space to put their shopping, and often also their dog. I don't know if your health insurance will pay a part of it, as they tend to be somewhat expensive.
I hope you will find the right aid that will make walking easier for you.

Ive been thinking of getting a wheelchair to use when im gonna be be out and about with a lot of walking involved. I have kids and an active husband and we have really quit going out much anymore because I get so tired and the pain gets worse, I also get dizzy very easily if I stand still for more than a few seconds. I feel we could do so much more if I got one to use at zoos and museums and such... im 32, diagnosed this yr with fibro, but itstarted about 6 yrs ago and my initial diagnosed was MS.

I did the same! I'm an artist. LOVE museums and art festivals and absolutely can NOT visit them without a wheelchair. I also love Cons! Haven't made it to San Deigo ComicCon but I live near Dallas and I go to A-Kon (anime) every year with my wheelchair. It used to bother me what people thought. Now I smile real big at them before they have a chance to be mean and say excuse me REAL LOUD. I just shock them with kindness! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back