Reason
Caregiver
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
tn

I came here looking for some natural ways to deal with chronic pain rather than pain pills and opiates. I have read that a positive outlook plays an important role in pain management. I was wondering what your ideas or suggestions may be or if anyone may have some insight to share.

Last edited:
I think a positive outlook will always b super helpful, but not enough to deal with the pain. That's why I use a series of ointments and oils to treat my pain, those work better in some areas than others, but that's ok. Some days it's difficult, but try to keep a positive attitude. There are days keeping that positive attitude isn't possible, so I start logging in my private diary :) It helps a lot, I recommend everyone to get one of those, it helps a lot!

I do keep what I call a pain journal. I write when it gets too much to take and try to take my mind off of it. It sometimes helps. Other times nothing helps.

A positive attitude definitely helps. Sometimes you need meds to deal with the pain. Depends on your pain tolerance also . Maybe some homeopathic therapy or physical therapy will help you?

I completely understand! Some days are easier than others to have a positive outlook on things, but keep trying no matter how you feel. my suggestions would include that you make sure that you're getting enough sleep, exercise, vitamin D, whole foods and as little stress as possible which I know is no easy task in this day and age. I also take Advil when I have pain and stretching seems to help too if you don't overdo it. Other than those basic and logical steps, I wish I had more answers for everyone so that none of us had to live like this. A good family or friend support group might be very helpful as well as doing something that you really enjoy everyday. For me it's listening to music, hanging out with my dogs and son, and I just recently started doing some meditation at night to help me with my sleep. I hope some of these suggestions help you and that you feel better soon.

Staying positive is a great start to dealing with things, but it's probably not enough on its own. Sometimes meds are necessary, but so far I've refused them from my GP. Instead I focus on my diet, try to get a few 10 minute sessions of light (nothing too strenuous) exercise every day, and a little practice in meditation a few times a week.

Cutting out processed foods in your diet will really help with chronic pain, and make sure you eat plenty of fresh food every day - vegetables especially. Keep sugar to an absolute minimum, or better still, avoid it altogether. When the pain gets really tough I turn to ibuprofen to take the inflammation down - it doesn't take the pain away completely, but it's enough to help me relax and work through it.

I hope this helps you.

I think a positive outlook will always b super helpful, but not enough to deal with the pain. That's why I use a series of ointments and oils to treat my pain, those work better in some areas than others, but that's ok. Some days it's difficult, but try to keep a positive attitude.

This is very true and I have a friend who's a medical professional who says the same thing... a positive attitude is very beneficial in many areas including recovery time for a lot of illnesses... and even how diseases like cancer are impacted.

*But* for those with intense or chronic pain, "I'm going to be happy today, I'm going to smile and be nice to everyone and make it a great day" is good for an emotional boost but it simply isn't going to touch real honest-to-goodness physical pain.

Several people I know use ginger capsules for pain. They even give them to there dog for pain. I use them once in a while. By the way welcome to the forum. If you read through the alternative methods section you will find a bunch of ideas for natural use pain coping. Be sure to read the other sections both the new and old posts, to gain knowledge from our members on hints and coping skills, on medications and other problems that are brought on by fibro. See you around the forum. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back