Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
CA
Recently I had to leave my job because of my upper back pain. I can barely stand or sit without have dull aching chronic pain in my spine. Its the one of my most painful symptoms. Its just infuriating to not able to continue enjoying a job. If I were to get a new job but it would be difficul to maintain with this pain so I kind of want to fugure put the underlining cause. I havent gotten an MRI so I might ask my Rheumy about it. Im just scared that it will come back with herniated disc or something I might need surgery for since I cant really afford it right now (._.)

Hi yes back pain is my worst symptom. I am going for a MRI in February, I am also Frustrated because I feel like no one understands not even doctors. I have been off of work now for almost a year.

Hi ! I can understand how youre feeling since its what im going through right now D: Just sitting and standing or basically keeping my head up hurts. Im going to go see my rheumy February also and ask if I can get a MRI. Do you get like a dull aching pain on your spine ?

Add me to this list, my pain has been mostly upper neck shoulders base of skull. But just recently its my lower back...feels like its broken it hurts so bad.
I am in Epsom salt bath almost daily

My pain is more like something is fractured or like I've been hit with a baseball bat. Two nights ago I was thinking of going to the hospital for some kind of injection, but I new I wouldn't be able to sit in the waiting room for a long time. Here in Canada the Hospital has a waiting room that you could be there for hours and hours. I am actually looking forward to my MRI so hopefully they can tell me what the heck is the problem with my back.

Ohhh sorry to hear that. Ive been hearing alot about epsom baths, I might try that soon

someone said that the pain feels as if someone has beaten you with a meat tenderizer! perfect exclamation of how we feel

Hi I'm new. I have chronic pain daily. And I can elate! I feel the same back pain. I have lower back pain (for years now) and also upper back pain, sometimes the middle of my back as well. I've been told I have degenerative disc disease most likely and my parents both suffer back pain, it's most likely hereditary. But I DID get the MRI's and they show I have a herniated disc at my C6 in my neck and then I want to say my S1-L5 lumbar (lower back) region. does that sound right? But the surgeon said I'm not a candidate for any surgeries being a young age (I saw him in 2011) and all the doctors I've seen really can't (or don't want to) do much of anything. Sadly in all my research on back pain and issues/injuries the options for us seem slim. I'd love to hear others' stories. I recently moved and the stress and overuse from all the packing and unpacking, moving boxes etc is killing me. I have to rest, and OFTEN. Lately I've had such bad back pain that I can't bend or barely move and I feel as if Im 80 years old (I'm 38 yrs old). I love Epsom salt baths and I LIVE on the heating pad at night. At this moment I have 3 lidocaine patches on my Right forearm and both sides of my lower back. I take a muscle relaxer, Soma, twice a day and although I'm trying to take less opiate pain killers, I took a full 10mg norco this evening around 6:30pm just to feel sane again. This much pain is starting to make me go crazy. I'm sure you can relate. I think I need more sleep because my eye fatigue today has been sometimg awful, but unfortunately the norco (or any opiate) keeps me awake most of the night. After giving my fiancé an earful today about my symptoms and pain, I decided I better join a support forum to get the support and advice I need. Thank you for listening. I need to find a new doctor since I just moved 500 miles hehe, and since I've never had a true fibro diagnosis I'm thinking of seeing a rheumatologist. I Could even just be dealing with osteoarthritis. I have hope some days, but sometimes the chronic pain seems absolutely hopeless.

Last edited:
Hi Sunny.
Your story has many many points in common with mine. I suffered lower back pain most of my life... starting at 25... and was layely diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Even if I present 3 herniated disks but absolutely not a candidate for surgery, these chronic pains seem to appear quite regularly. I might feel great for four months and then zhack! I wake up likr shit feeling numb all over (insomnia, anxiety, depression... the sensation of going crazy) it's all there and it seems to be part of the illness. I feel as if it is a very strange desease and it doesn't help that most doctor don't know much about either....I will see a doctor who specializes in fibro and dhare hus view in this forum for everyone to compare and possibly find help and encouragement.
Try deep relaxation techiques... i feel tgey helped me in the long run.

Yo Sunnny ! :D

I can relate to your story very well. Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your excruciating pain. I can barely keep my head up without feeling like I have to lay down. I havent had a mri done yet so I cant really tell the sections for the vertebrae but yeah the pain cause weakness and other symptoms that are basically fibro. My advice is to do yoga for the back and stretches every morning if you can and stay away from gluten. Living through day is a challenge without pushing yourself to the limit. Hope you find a doctor and get better treatment from your rheumy!

Thank you, both of you! I look forward to finding some good doctors in my new area. Although I know, that most of the work to dull the pain has to be done on my own. Such as the relaxation techniques yes! And the stretching and yoga. Ive been wanting to try walking too...I've been feeling especially tired lately, after only being awake a few hours. I need to be gentle with myself though, we are doing A LOT in terms of unpacking. Ugh. I stumbled on an interesting website today called musclepainsolution - written by a chiropractor. I thought I'd share. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone! Georgia25, I wanted to tell you how much I am looking into relaxation techniques. I definitely can tell I feel better when I try deep breathing, breathing into the belly, etc. I think deep relaxation is a must, but I rarely make time for it. I'm penciling it in though! Haha. It's not like my schedule is that full, but everyday living is tough with chronic pain as we all know. I'm also one handed. I fell out of a car window when I was 3 and parslyzed my left hand and arm. A brachial plexus injury. I guess a nerve was stretched and stretched nerves usually can't be fixed, especially In 1979. But hey, 35 years later I'm an expert, right? :). I made an appointment with a new pain management doctor here in my new town. He can see me tomorrow. I'm going to be discussing non opiate pain management. I want to give the pills a rest (as scary as that seems). I might stick with Soma, it seems to help my lower back the most. I have so much overall muscLe pain that I'm not sure what they'll recommend, but it'll be nice to talk to someone, a doctor I mean. I also scheduled a new family practice appointment but I have to wait a couple weeks to get in. Between the two docs I'm sure I can get a rhuemetllogist referral. Two days after my thai and deep tissue massage I'm feeling less pain. I had to take an Epsom salt bath though last night and I love topical gels on my upper back and shoulders. My fiance and I went for a walk on the pier here on the ocean for some exercise. And tuba1kenobi thank you for the kind word and stretching and yoga suggestions. It's EXACTLY what I need to do. I've been trying. If I stop it'll be awful...I can tell I need to stretch and I have a goal to build strength, I'm so worried my muscles are going to atrophy..,other times it feels like my muscles don't relax! I'm overusing them in daily life so much. But today was a good day. I get extremely fatigued easily, but it's bevause I need some exercise too I think.

Hiii sunny (^.^) ! Yeah ive been trying the breathing techniques and it seems to cal my tension a little bit since im on paranoid mode 24/7 haha. Im so sorry to hear about your story. I recently got denied for an mri by my pcp and was recommended a pain management clinic but I ive been procrastinating to make an appointment hahaha . The only thing Ive been prescribed is vitamin D because of my low levels. After 7 painful months I cant conclude whether its my spine or muscles but Im hoping its my muscles and nothing too severe. I might need a massage too. Ive been laying in bed alot so I am also afraid of atrophy. Yeah feel lazy and guilty but at the same time I know its me that wants to feel like this and I hate using fibromyalgia as an excuse of my lack of productivity to my family members since they just frown upon me and think im crazy. I try to be optimal and efficient with my muscle usage but im glad youire making progres :D Tell me how the pain management goes and what you did there since IM a bit nervous haha T.T

Hi I'm new. I have chronic pain daily. And I can elate! I feel the same back pain. I have lower back pain (for years now) and also upper back pain, sometimes the middle of my back as well. I've been told I have degenerative disc disease most likely and my parents both suffer back pain, it's most likely hereditary. But I DID get the MRI's and they show I have a herniated disc at my C6 in my neck and then I want to say my S1-L5 lumbar (lower back) region. does that sound right? But the surgeon said I'm not a candidate for any surgeries being a young age (I saw him in 2011) and all the doctors I've seen really can't (or don't want to) do much of anything. Sadly in all my research on back pain and issues/injuries the options for us seem slim. I'd love to hear others' stories. I recently moved and the stress and overuse from all the packing and unpacking, moving boxes etc is killing me. I have to rest, and OFTEN. Lately I've had such bad back pain that I can't bend or barely move and I feel as if Im 80 years old (I'm 38 yrs old). I love Epsom salt baths and I LIVE on the heating pad at night. At this moment I have 3 lidocaine patches on my Right forearm and both sides of my lower back. I take a muscle relaxer, Soma, twice a day and although I'm trying to take less opiate pain killers, I took a full 10mg norco this evening around 6:30pm just to feel sane again. This much pain is starting to make me go crazy. I'm sure you can relate. I think I need more sleep because my eye fatigue today has been sometimg awful, but unfortunately the norco (or any opiate) keeps me awake most of the night. After giving my fiancé an earful today about my symptoms and pain, I decided I better join a support forum to get the support and advice I need. Thank you for listening. I need to find a new doctor since I just moved 500 miles hehe, and since I've never had a true fibro diagnosis I'm thinking of seeing a rheumatologist. I Could even just be dealing with osteoarthritis. I have hope some days, but sometimes the chronic pain seems absolutely hopeless.
Hi i'm new too - but not to this type of pain. I suggest if you are going to see a Rhumy make sure it is one that specializes in Fybro. many think it is not a real problem, or want nothing to do with the problems because proof is so difficult

Hiii sunny (^.^) ! Yeah ive been trying the breathing techniques and it seems to cal my tension a little bit since im on paranoid mode 24/7 haha. Im so sorry to hear about your story. I recently got denied for an mri by my pcp and was recommended a pain management clinic but I ive been procrastinating to make an appointment hahaha . The only thing Ive been prescribed is vitamin D because of my low levels. After 7 painful months I cant conclude whether its my spine or muscles but Im hoping its my muscles and nothing too severe. I might need a massage too. Ive been laying in bed alot so I am also afraid of atrophy. Yeah feel lazy and guilty but at the same time I know its me that wants to feel like this and I hate using fibromyalgia as an excuse of my lack of productivity to my family members since they just frown upon me and think im crazy. I try to be optimal and efficient with my muscle usage but im glad youire making progres :D Tell me how the pain management goes and what you did there since IM a bit nervous haha T.T
hey i've been there! time to pull yourself out of bed, and go to pain management. Try seeing an acupuncturist
and or massage first. i've been fighting fybro for years now and they do give temporary relief. Also have a hot as you can stand 20 min bath each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back