Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
12/2014
Country
CA
State
ON
Just wondering if anyone has been able to jog. I want to participate in a fundraising jog. I've been feeling pretty good (pain at bay with my meds) but I don't want to instigate it. Has or does anyone ever jog any advice would be greatly appreciated..thanks.

sorry tim75, i dont jog and i could not even imagine the pain after the jog. i think, if its for a good charity you should at least try. sometimes we must go through pain to make a difference in someone else's life. i admirer your courage. be strong!

I can't jog any more, but have been slowly increasing walking distance. The max distance depends on the day. It is frustrating. I'd suggest a short test on a day before you have a couple days to rest if you wreck your body. If you can't do it, ask about walking and see how you do. Practice that as well. I support my local charities by volunteering as a support person for a few hours. Good luck!

tim75- Get your stretching routine in top shape for before and after the jog. If you dont put extra care into before & after a jog it can get nasty. Ive tried it, failed miserably..Then I finally got better to work up to a jog again, minimal stretching bfore & after....once again,, body goes back down the hole of fibro..(this is a 3 year journey Im reliving)...Now, im on a myofacia stretching kick that seems to answer all the questions I have had with the fibro and not being able to workout/stretch & get better..

Reason Im on the kick....I Had a stretch routine (alexander technique) working for me, I work with light weights & resistance bands....I thought I was able to push my treadmill exercise abit more....whammo... IT band fascia hell and everything related.....pissed off/discouraged/ you get the idea. Ordered the book "stretch to win" and it helped me rehab the IT and fibro has really toned down....Preparing myself for reintroduction of the treadmill next week.. Keep us posted on your decision for the run...I know it can be done..I believe! Dont forget about skin circulation too...Might be helpful to get massages or do Dry brushing a week or two prior to get blood flow to the surface of the skin...

I,don't run , but I do a lot of walking . And after 3 weeks I can now climb a very steep hill ,without going so stiff I can nearly move.but fibro is like the weather u never no what your going to get.

I thank you all so much for your stories and input. Why I really want to try is I want to set a good example for my kids (you can do anything) and I'm feeling like I'm using fibro as an excuse(I know I may sound crazy) cause just sitting here typing I hurt. If I do it I will defiantly work up to the event and listen to my body. I've been reading some good into plans. I'm also struggling with the fact that the ladies who have asked me to join then can't seem to get my fibro cause when I said I'm not sure if I can do that with my pain they respond with oh we will work up to it and the you are in better shape then us.... It's amazing what people see and it's sad what they can't. Anyway thanks for listening and I will let you know how things go. Cheers!

I run occasionally - now that the snow is almost gone I intend to run a bit more. I am active but careful...it requires a lot of rest in and around activity !

My line of thinking goes like this - I am going to be sore no matter what, activity helps as long as I don't over do it - so I might as well get some enjoyment out of it. I love running & used to do it a lot - it's great exercise and I love the mental element of focusing off of what your body is doing - something that is also very helpful for us fibro people ! It's like a kind of meditation. Anyway - if I am running in the morning I will go to bed early, rest the afternoon before (kinda do that anyway) and give it a 5 minute chance - I head out and if my body is not into it I will walk instead........I usually end up running a bit. I also need rest time afterwards. Hydrate lots, stretch lots afterwards.

My issue with races or events though is that I never know how I am going to be on that day. I plan on running with a team for a half marathon (each team member does 5-8k) in September but I do worry that the partiular day of the race I might not be well...kind of roullette...but it is something to aim for. I am running 5k right now - but I can cancel my plans if my body isn't into it. Of course - in a charity race (or any other) you can always walk as needed - it's all about doing something !

It's that doing something most days that keeps me going (walking, swimming, yoga...something to move).

Thanks I agree with the keeping going and good luck with your upcoming races..

Thanks...lol...I think of them more as "organized runs"....races always makes it sound like I'm trying to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back