Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
PA
Hi, I'm 23 and have been recently diagnosed with Fibro. Its been over 5 years since my first visit to a rheumatologist and finally got a diagnosis. I'm just glad to find a group of people who understand. Thanks for just being here.

Strength from unity, welcome to the site, we are here to support each other and now we have you to add to the gruop. read and leaarn what you can here. go out and do research and pass on what you have learned tp us. thanks for finding us.
We have caring folks here.

Hi all. I was finally diagnosed today as having FM and Hypermobility. I say 'finally' as I've suffered for years, but only now has someone been prepared to listen and take me seriously! I was also recently diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel in both hands, for which I will be having surgery.
How am I feeling? I guess the first word that comes to mind, strangely enough, is 'Relieved'! Having been in pain for so long and facing all sorts of potential diagnosis, I now at least know what is wrong. The next word that comes to mind is 'Fear'. I know it's not life threatening and there are many people out there facing far worse, but it's scary to think that I will have this for the rest of my life and that I can't be 'fixed'. How will I cope and manage it, particularly as I get older and my body is less likely to do what I want it to? Over the last 5 years I've noticed it's getting harder - the pain is worse, I'm stiffer more often and I get tired much more easily. I'm only 41, but some days I feel twice my age.
I refuse to give in to it and try to carry on as 'normally' as possible. I try not to let it stop me doing things, but some days I'm screaming in pain inside and just want to roll up in a ball and ignore the world. I don't, because I have a daughter, a partner and a job (I'm a teacher) and all these people depend on me and deserve the very best I can give them. I don't want them to suffer, or miss out, because I'm actually hurting and so very tired. Yes, they are supportive and understanding and never have unreasonable expectations of me - but I guess I have expectations of myself. I don't want to give in to it - not even a little bit.
I've agreed to join an 8 week programme to learn of ways to manage FM better and I'm hoping I can. I guess I've joined this site in the hopes that other sufferers can offer tips and advice on things that work for them and that I can find what works for me as soon as I can.
I look forward to learning more and to chatting to some of you soon :)

agyte123, please see my post under general discussions "starting a daily log book and why it helps" start the boof right away. learn your triggers and avoid them. this will reduce your pain. see my post above as well. you can do this you just need to know what is working and what is not working for you. we are all different and the meds affect us all differently. good luck and keep posting.

agyte123, I also have hypermobility and though it is really hard sometimes pt has helped me so much. I know what its like to feel so much older than you are. I'm 23 and some days my grandmother has an easier time moving around and getting things done than I do. Reading some things on here is very scary because all I think is, Is this my future? Is it even worth it? But is there really any other choice but to keep trying and hope in the future that there are better options. I was just enrolled in a study for a new medication and I'm hoping that it will make a difference.

Strength from unity, hang in there. you can deal with this. im glad you are trying something new. i hope it works. please let us know about the drug and the testing that you are doing in a new thread so we can all gain knowledge from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back