I just got Gabapentin- Any feedback would be great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alma31 hello!

I'm so glad to see you have taken control of your treatment plan. clap clap clap.

thanks for sharing/updating us.

Hi I was offered gabapentin but I chose not to take that because I have a child with epilepsy and his consultant refused to use the drug on him because of some of the side affects one in particular was the fact it can change the facial features on the user of the medication strange but true

thanks for sharing greenbeen

My doctor put me on Gabapentin I was suppose to go to a dosage of 2700 mg of day but once I got to 2100mg I started having chest pains really bad ended up in hospital but once I went back to just 1200mg a day until I see the doctor it seems to help a bit I still have lots of pain but some days are better than others. I also take like advil and aleve to help wtih the pain. Not sure if this is one for me but trying it for a couple of months to see find out next week what the doc says.

All I can say give it a chance everyone is differnt when it comes to medication.

Ummmm that crap, sorry.....made me gain . 50 lbs. I'm finding that Cymbalta and one pain med helps better.
GOD BLESS

Hello,
I have been using a 24hr release medication for pain and then other meds for the breakthrough pain. But I have still been having "sharp" stinging pains, like electrical and so my doctor just put me on Gabapentin. I am wondering if anyone else has used this medication. I see it is an epilepsy medication, so I am a little confused. :roll:
Hi
I've just come off of them after being on 600 mgs a day. It seems that in the UK we are not allowed such high dosage as you are.
I found that I was having more side effects from the medication on top of the pain and after reading what these tablets can do to your sight, I decided that it was not worth it.
I took a long time coming slowly off of them ( it was not fun and felt very ill), but now I am off them I feel more like my old self and am coping with the pain as well as when I was on them, if not better! I take paraceataml and aspirin, ibuprofen for the pain and use Voltarol rub for some extra relief too.
I also try to go swimming when I feel strong enough too, which helps the joints and then I use the warm jacuzzi for massaging my muscles.
I also take herbal tablets to help me sleep.
I have noticed that in some states in the USA that cannabis is allowed and have read with much interest that some people get pain relief from that too.
Unfortunately we are not legally allowed to use this even for medical reasons!
I have had to come to terms with the fact that I am not going to have a pain free day for the rest of my life, some days are more bareable than others.
Here's hoping that they will find a cure for this in the near future and we can get our lives back!

I am on Gabapentin only after with my doctors help weaned myself off of Lyrica, now they have a new drug to replace lyrica, you just take it less and it costs around 600 dollars and most insurance company's do not accept it. After being on the Gabapentin for about 6 months my mouth got very dry in the middle of the night, my memory got worse as well as my vision. I am now doing better (more energy and overall wellness is better) I believe because I am using all non toxic products as in cleaners, dryer sheets, etc...the products like at WalMart have way to many chemicals including formaldehyde. My doctor told me that people with fibro have a much higher sensitivity to chemicals than most people. Even my makeup is toxic free. :)

Link Not Allowed!

Last edited by a moderator:
I will not use any of those drugs, which I feel cause more issues than the stuff we deal with. I take all supps and gaba and inositol help to calm pain. And calm the person. MSM helps with pain, I use it 3 times per day in water. So many of thees drugs are not pure, many now made in china....

I was tempted some time ago to "try" Celebrex but when I found the cost, I said "forget it"....glad I can't afford it. An old class anti inflammatory drug put me in the ER with a stomach ulcer. I've learned so many lessons.

Last edited:
I have been on Gabapentin since 2012, 900mg per day.
It does absolutely nothing for me. Not for the pain, muscle spasms, or my TS (Tourette's).
I have a new PCP now and I'm hoping that I can get prescribed an actual pain killer and not these anti-depressant-esque "maskers" that do jack shit (pardon my language).

Gabapentin works great for me at night. It helps with the sleep. Doesn't do anything for my pain? I take Savella, it works well.

Hi all,
I'm on Lyrica 300mg a day until It stopped working a few weeks ago and now am on 350-375mg. It was AMAZING when it first worked (first day!). Breakthrough pain is pretty bad. I was on morph as well until 6 months ago and took myself off. I am thinking of taking myself of Lyrica as well, as I think it will keep being Tolerance Level until I can't take such a high level anymore. So sad about it, loved Lyrica. I will talk to Pain clinic about it. Sal

Tharper,
What does the Savella work best for? Is it for nerve pain, joint pain?

The Dr's had me on lipitor, lyrica,cymbalta, statin drug, cholesterol , blood pressure meds, water pill, before that I was on 2 pills yep 2, pain mediaction, and benzo. I was doing just fine, When sudden change hit my system, I really went through hell. Anyway ...just another rant.

Moe1959-
I have a handy list too. Everything will work wonders when all of the sudden our systems change out of nowhere, I know how you feel (literally).
I've been on:
Seroquel
Risperdal
Propranolol
Celexa
Welbutrin
Prozac
gabapentin
temazepam
nortiptaline
bentyl
effexor
ambien
trazadone

I've been on it all.
and nothing works. :/
So frustrating!

I was on gabapentine for 8 mos. I had loss of balance problems. I couldn't look up, then back down (no matter how slowly) without almost falling over. I would lose my balance in public, making me look like a drunk. When I almost fell out of my shower I quit taking it. It was then that I realized it had only dulled some of the pain and just wasn't worth staying on. I told my dr. that I almost went over my tub and through the shower curtain and I wasn't taking it anymore. She said, "ok." Watch for things like this and stop taking it if you start losing balance. You could really get hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back