Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
US
State
Oregon
I know I know! The best thing to do is push past the pain and just get out there and do ANYthing low impact and active. However, I walk regularly everywhere, and I'm on my feet 6 hours a day at work, and I just can't exercise more than that? I straight up can't be more active than I am right now, and I don't know if that's really just me telling myself that and being in pain, or if other people understand what I mean? I do need to eat better and lose a little weight, but I honestly just get stressed when I think about how unfit I am and how much I'd like to be in shape and be active but CAN'T!

Anyone know what I"m feeling? Or have in the past and pushed past it? Is walking and being on my feet all day not enough?

Hi Junebug, I understand, it is very frustrating to push yourself as hard as you can just to get through the day and then feel like you are still not doing enough.

I think it's important to be kind to oneself. Fibromyalgia really makes exercise so much harder, even low impact. Instead of criticizing yourself for being out of shape, congratulate yourself every time you walk someplace. You are more likely to keep moving if you feel good about it.

It might help to get a pedometer (or an app if you have a smart phone) to track how much you do move already. You might be exercising quite a bit already. I use an app called The Walk, which includes a pedometer. As I walk I unlock segments of a story. It helps me keep motivated to keep moving.

Junbug,

im not sure where you heard that pushing past the pain would help you. it's making you hurt even more.
pace yourself dont push past what you can do. yes on your feet all day is enough. try the meter like dk said.

i use a body blade they are one minute workouts. very good for the fibro too.

Remember stress=pain.

find what triggers to your pain and avoid those things.

look into a water that helps reduce fibro pain. i just got back from the doctor on Monday and his patients are finding that it helps them.

understanding how your body processes things will help you. good things in the body and bad things out of the body.

try Tapping to reduce your stress and relax you. it works for me.

your doing good, hang in there and learn as much as you can. weight gin is also do to the meds you are on.

what meds are you currently taking?

Thank you both for responding! I still feel like I don't know very much about fibro and it's nice to hear from more experienced sickies.

I was taking gabapentin and some other neuro med that I can't remember, and I've taken like 12 other medications just for specific symptoms, but nothing actually made any changes so I'm not on anything at all. :')

get back on the nerve blockers.

read my post what is fibromyalgia it under general discussions.

I did aquatic therapy when I was first diagnosed and it was amazing! I have to say I'm in a flare up right now and struggling again. I think it's the stress of the start of the school year as I am a teacher and have been transferred to a new position this year so stress is high. I am trying to control it, but that's not always easy. I like the suggestion of tracking what you already do because you need to give yourself credit for that. Pat yourself on the back!

That's a good point faithnhope, I have also found swimming helps me a lot.

I'm sympathetic with your work stress; I had a big stress on the job in July. I got a really helpful suggestion from wisgrl on this forum to remember to breathe. When I am stressed I often find myself breathing from my chest. It is amazing how much taking a few deep breaths helps (and it is something I can do at work without getting funny looks :))

I hope your flare up ends soon!

I'm new so I hope I'm allowed to just jump in.

Anyway, I find this so frustrating as well. Especially as my doctor harps on how it will help.

Currently I'm doing a 30 days of Yoga challenge with some online friends on another forum. It helps to have companionship and to be doing something I actually like.

Hay twink, welcome to the fourm.pls do jump in we love all new ppl.
Yes pushing past the pain does not do any good at all.i agree that sometimes your doing something u can't stop ,and u have to keep going. But to rush out and do star jumps because your Dr says it's good I'd tell them to take a running jump.

Twinklefae, thanks for joining our group and jumping right in. the posts help everyone here.

i look forward to learning the things you have learned in the other forums.
please start a thread and let us get to know you.

there is a post what is fibromyalgia under general discussions . please read that post and add what you have learned there too.

welcome to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back