Does anyone take narcotic pain meds, and what do you think of them

Status
Not open for further replies.
cmetryme, I don't have a reaction to the Fentanyl, only the Butrans. Dr. said it was probable a reaction to the time release additive in it. But that is why you only have to change it once weekly.

cmetryme, the Fentanyl I'm on , without insurance costs $400 a month, with insurance cost me $10.Don't know how long we will be blessed with insurance though. If we don't have this insurance I won't be able to afford full price. So then I guess i'll just sit in my closet and cry.

A few of you have mentioned stomach problems as a result of the many meds. I too have had that problem and I try very hard to get natural alternatives.
One that has helped me with the stomach is Slippery Elm, an herb. It can be taken as a tincture, spray or heated with water and taken with a spoon. It has helped tremendously. I don't have to add another drug to my list to help the tummy....

A few of you have mentioned stomach problems as a result of the many meds. I too have had that problem and I try very hard to get natural alternatives.
One that has helped me with the stomach is Slippery Elm, an herb. It can be taken as a tincture, spray or heated with water and taken with a spoon. It has helped tremendously. I don't have to add another drug to my list to help the tummy....
Another option for slippery elm, is to take Thayers Lozenges, which contain slippery elm (and are very tasty!) I use that plus DGL, along with some Pepcid (not necessarily at the same time). Yeah, I take some Percs, too; cut them into quarters with pill cutter. Lasts longer that way... if you're in severe pain, use whatever you can get-- preferably, legally. Kidding. Only do it as sparingly as possible. That's my motto! I have a long-standing relationship with my GP; that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I take 60 mg of Kadian (Morphine) twice a day I get no high off of it like many people who think you do. Because its a pill and not IV it doesn't affect you the same way. The way of delivery, orally, you don't get as much of the medicine in your system. I also take Percocet 10/325 and cut them in half. I take a half to a whole every 6 hours. I have gone off the Kadian before because I thought it wasn't helping, but after withdrawals I realized it really did help so I started them again. Does anyone get relief from pain with narcotic meds?
Yes, I do. I don't know if my quick replies are showing up, but it's the only way I can post, right now. Also, narc. helps me better than anything, so as I tried to post in another thread, I don't know why all the sites say it doesn't help Fibro pain? I can't tolerate the other options (Lyrica, Duloxetine, etc.). I also cut my pills-- either in quarters or halves. Haven't had to increase my dosage in 15 yrs. !

I absolutely believe pain medication helps. I have gotten by with 5MG of Hydrocodone so far but really could use more. I let things get too bad before I take something which you are never supposed to do. I am a retired nurse do to fiber and always told my patients to take before the pain becomes really bad. The literature and doctors will tell you that narcotics don't work for fibro pain but I am here to tell you they do. The Lyrica's and such didn't help me at all just made me sick so I don't take them.

Last edited:
I am also a retired nurse (skiggi7- we should chat) and yes pain meds to work on fibro. The best balance I have so far gotten is by taking a 24hr release pain medication. That removes all the ups and downs- and it helps you not wait till the last minute until taking them. I put the narcotic pain meds off for as long as I could, holding out for I have no idea what- but I finally did start them. My pain level has gone way down! And I have medication for breakthrough pain. I have two depending on how bad it is. I made a comment in the rant/rag section and I will say it again here- I feel like my life has come to balancing pain everyday. Having pain 24/7 takes so much out of a person. Who wants to go "live" when you hurt now and you now you will hurt again after. I take codeine before we go shopping otherwise I start having too much pain walking around. Learning what you need to do in order to enjoy life is really tricky.

It's not recommended that you take narcotic pain medication for fibro.

FIRST, SORRY ABOUT THE LARGE PRINT, I'M OLD...LOL,
YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT'S BEST FOR YOU, DON'T COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS, I'VE RAN INTO PEOPLE THAT HAVE SAID, " I hate pills, and would never take them. I know others who say, "I would have no quality of life without them. We are all individuals with sets of conditions only we know, and even then sketchy.

jaminhealth can you give some info on taking the DGL please? Many medicines that I take effects my stomach. How often do you take it and how much? and can you take that regularly ? thanks

scren, jamin has been ban from the site.

click on her name. then click on statistics. then you will see on the left all her threads and post that tell you the answer to your question.
im sorry too.

oh my! cmetryme I did notice that under his name it said banned, and I thought really? ok then thanks for the info!

im on opana almost the highest one out and it works when it wants my body rejects allot. delodid works really good but doc wont give me it!

lmao wont give delodid but will give allot stronger opana look up on drug sites i do before i take any type of pill my tablet also can check

for interactions im also on fyntynal patches they affect sleep legs and more if i dont have them. and im on soma for my back and other

problems with locked muscles .

The main narcotic I take is tramadol, and it does not help with pain as much as counter fatigue. I also take hydrocodone, which gives me very brief relief. I'm still looking for the right one. I know it's out there. Don't let people scare you or make you feel bad for taking pain killers. We are responsible, and we need them. If yours aren't working, talk to your doctor. There are MANY more out there

I've been on Vicodin for about 7 years now. I follow the doctors directions very well and take it exactly as needed. My worry is this, will I have to take it for the rest of my life? It seems like it. I've had fibro for 20 years now and it is worse now than ever. I worry about the pain medication because it seems like the DEA is putting pressure on my doctor to not prescribe opiates to his patients and the rules have been getting tighter and tighter. I've never given my doctor any reason for worrying that I'm abusing the medication - he has said so himself, but I guess they audit the doctors charts to make sure everything is on the up and up. I just think "boy, wouldn't it be easier if I didn't have to take this medication." There is no way I could be functional without the meds.

I don't enjoy it, never drank or did drugs in my early years. This has only been used when the fibro became so bad I couldn't work. I had to retire at 49 years old because of it.

I don't have anyone to talk to about this. It seems like there are a lot of people out in the world with fibro that take pain meds, but no one seems to be talking about it.

Oh, also, I've tried to cut down the medication, 1/4 a pill at a time but the pain gets too bad and then I'm back up to my normal dosage.

BTW: I have chronic migraines and arthritis with neuropathy too which makes the fibro bad and then the fibro makes the migraines bad and it justs goes round and round.

Any discussion of this would be helpful to me. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back