Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
TX
I know depression is a symptom, but is Cymbalta/Lyrica used to reduce depression or pain? If so why wouldn't other anti depressants help? Possibly stronger doses?

Hi i think Cymbalta is an anti depressant but also used in lower doses for pain. In the UK we use another tricyclic antidepressant called amitryptiline for depression pain and sleep...again lower doses for pain and sleep and up to 150mg for depression.

I think other groups of antidepressants ssri's ans snri's have not been shown to have much impact on pain but of course might still be valuable in treating depression.

I am not medically qualified so this is just my general understanding.

I am not sure about Lyrica...i believe its an anti epileptic drug approved to treat burning type pain....i dont know if it has any anti depressant effect i dont think so.

Hi Blonde--Cymbalta is a type of antidepressant, that is used for fibro pain. It is an SSNRI or selective serotonin-norepinephrine re-uptake inhibitor. It block or delays the re-uptake of the neurotransmitters, serotonin and norepinephrine, by the presynaptic nerves. This increases the levels of these two neurotransmitters in the synapse and tends to elevate mood. Research has shown that this drug and amitryptiline help with pain. I can't remember if they know the exact process works (fibro fog) but there's lots of info out there on the web.

Other antidepressants may help but typically as much. I think the issue may be how large a dose can be tolerated without significant side effects. And with fibro, what works for one person may do diddlysquat for another.
Willow is correct, Lyrica treats nerve pain and epilepsy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back