Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2013
Country
US
State
Minnesota
Is there anyone else who was a "senior" when diagnosed with fibromyalgia? If so, what are you doing as far as treatment. I've tried and quit lyrica. I'm afraid to start cymbalta. I am seeing a psychologist who has fibro herself and she has gotten me into a physical therapy program starting next week. Has physical therapy worked for anyone out there?
Any suggestions for this senior citizen would be appreciated.

I am 60 and was diagnosed last year. I was on Cymbalta for awhile and then went on Effexor. Now I am on Fetzima. Right now I am not on anything for fibro but I have a whole host of other more severe problems. I suffer from chronic depression, chronic fatigue syndrome, degenerative disc disorder, GERD, high blood pressure and the list goes on and on. I just had my left shoulder replaced so I am dealing with that as well. It's hell getting older. The only physical therapy I get is for my arm and it doesn't help my fibro at all.

I was just diagnosed at 64. I have IBS and GERD, handled by correct diet and OTC Zegrid. My doc is putting me on garpetrin and naproxen.
My daily meds are Effexor and Synthroid. So I am a little nervous about the new meds but I have to try them. A month ago my pain level jumped up so that I cannot do anything. I am an active person, playing tennis 3 times a week. The other days a work out for an hour on my elliptical machine.
But right now my body aches, even top of my head, are to the point that I am stuck doing nothing. It is frustrating for me and my doc. Tomorrow morning I plan to get back on track with my exercise (I missed 2 days). When I finish, I feel like I am putting forth a fight against this ugly thing named fibromyalgia. I have been in remission from NonHodgkins lymphoma for 20 years. I take lots of supplements and eat no red meat. Everything is harder when you get old. This is just another test, I guess.

Another thing I did was buy a wig. It is close to my normal hair. I no longer have to endure having my hair shampooed by someone. Being tender headed made it torture. Now if I go out, I just throw on the wig. It has taken a lot of stress out of my like. No more standing and styling. No more sitting for hours getting my hair colored.

I think the wig idea is great and have been considering it myself. My hair probably looks ok to others but it breaks easily and doesnt look thick and healthy especially the longer hair at the back. I thought it might give me a confidence boost to have a wig that looked like my lush locks of 10 years ago.

Aladeb are they easy to get to look natural?

Sorry i was 47 when i got fibro but now 56.

Last edited:
The ones I got are pretty much like my hair. The first words out of my husbands mouth were "I can't believe how young look" so it really makes me feel good. I will never sit for hours in pain getting my hair colored. I will just shampoo it and let my hairdresser trim it. Wish I had bought wigs years ago!

Thanks Aladeb...is there a company you can recommend.

I got mine on line. Just search for wigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back