Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2000
Country
US
State
NC
Hello. I'm joining this forum to say hello and to offer my story on my recent use of Mucinex during a 10 day nasty cold virus.

My history with Fibromyalgia - I have known I've had it for over 15 years and I have tried to manage through the pain and over the last year it has almost disabled me to the point I have limited mobility. I've also had Plantars Fasciitis for about the same number of years and it's been hell having went through all the therapy, Osotronic surgery, boots, injections, orthotics, therapies, you name it. So I have been dealt a double punch with Fibromyalgia and P.F. in both of my feet. Over the past two years I have also been experiencing some back pain with a lower disk generation that has caused me a lot of pain.

My Mom has Fibromyalgia. I've been aware of it since I was little, when it didn't have a name, and when I went to poke my Mom on her arm for attention she would scream out in pain .... it was years later that I finally understood she had this condition/disease. When I was 32 years old I realized I also had Fibromyalgia. I tried Cymbalta and Lyrica and within two weeks I got off the drugs because of the side effects. So for 99% of the last 15 years having Fibromyalgia, P.F. and back pain I have not been taking a prescription and trying to "live with it" taking Ibuprofen and occasionally aspirin products.

Recently, I went to my Doctor for an annual physical and they asked me how long it had been since I had a Tetanus/Whooping cough shot. It had been since I was in college and I broke down and decided to get one. I read that my arm would be sore for a couple of days and I just tried to ignore it and move on with my day as I was packing my son up to go to college for his Freshman year. About a week later after I had moved him into his dorm room, I came down with a tickle in my throat and then my ear started hurting. I felt kind of feverish and the next day I felt my lymph nodes under my arm was swollen. I immediately panicked because that never happens and I went on the internet to research the Tetanus shot and this is very common. I also had a goose egg area where my shot was given deep into the muscle. I tried not to panic and know that this was just an adverse side affect of the shot. Within a couple of days my lymph node pain went away and I had a full blown nasty head cold.

This is where Mucinex comes into the story. I was taking 1200 mg once a day with Alka Selter Plus Severe Cough and Cold Day and Night with 200 mg Guaifenesin. I also was using Afrin and Saline nose drops. I felt horrible with this cold to where i didn't leave the house for over a week, but oddly enough my Fibromyalgia symptoms, plantar fasciitis and back pain was greatly reduced. At this point in my life I am in chronic pain so being on these meds alerted me to something may be helping my other symptoms. I kind of blew it off thinking that can't be happening. What sense does that even make?

I was under a lot of stress coming home after my son moved into college, I got sick with this horrible cold and my doggie suddenly went completely blind and was diagnosed with SARDS disease. So I'm basically at home nursing my cold with over the counter drugs, nursing my doggie and taking her back and forth to the vet, and thinking how in the world am I going to make it through all of this. The saving grace was that my previous daily/chronic pain I have
lived for over 15 years had greatly decreased. You know the saying God won't give you more than you can handle... in my case this was so true. If I had to deal with my chronic pain, a horrible cold and the stress of seeing my healthy dog go suddenly blind, I don't think I could have handled it.

Back to Guaifenesin... I've never researched other alternatives in treating my Fibromyalgia so when I went online and saw many are seeing great results of using it for their Fibromyalgia symptoms I was elated. Unfortunately, I had already stopped my Mucinex for a few days and I could feel the pain coming back as it was before. It was pretty clear something in that combination of those drugs helped me unless it was a complete coincidence.

I recently started going to a Chiropractor for a couple of weeks before I got my Tetanus shot and I could not see that it was providing me any pain relief. I had not been to a Chiropractor in years and I was getting desperate to get some help in reducing my pain. I also went out and purchased a back massager and foot massager on Amazon. I would like to credit this as also being one of the reasons for the reduction of my back pain but since I had no relief during the time I was using it, I can't give it any credit, but it's possible that it helped in some way prior to the use of Mucinex.

This is a long winded and rambling account of how I accidentally discovered the benefits of Guaifenesin for Fibromyalgia, foot pain and back pain, but it was such an incredible reduction in pain (at least 80%) that I had to come on here and share my experience.

For those of you who are following the Guaifenesin protocol, using extended relief with short term - starting out with gradual dosing and working your way up to your ideal dose, I jumped in head first without knowing any of it and what I did accidentally worked for me, even with the use of Salicylates.

Because when I am hit smack in the face with having to study health related issues, I like many of you go all in. Some say the Guaifenesin Protocol is quackery, some say it works for them, others say it didn't help but still believe it helps others. Whatever it is, I know that it appeared to have worked for me. Now I'm back at it, using myself as a Guinea pig and using the exact products I used before, minus the Afrin. I'm going to do this for two weeks and I have purchased all Salicylate cosmetic products today at Walmart. I'm going to only reduce my Salicylate in cosmetic products I use on my skin such as deodorant, shampoo/conditioner, moisturizer, tooth paste, etc.

I'll come back in two weeks and give everyone an update on if this combination helped me in the same way it did before. If it does, I will then switch to Guaifenesin 1200 mg twice and day and I may throw in a short release Guai with it. The Alka-Seltzer plus has it in there as well so I'm guessing that was short release, which may aided overall in my accidental protocol.

If you have any thoughts please share with me. I'm not convinced reducing Salicylates is necessary for everyone, but for myself I'm going to try it and see. Salicylates are in everything now and they didn't use to be. I've also had GI problems over the years with IBS-C and bad heartburn and acid reflux. I've been Gluten free for the past two years after I again (accidentally) discovered that when I came off of gluten for a week my acid reflux greatly reduced and a strange rash I had for two years, also went away. Also the odd chest pain I had been having for two years I guess from the acid reflux went away too. I was able to wean myself of Protonix.

Through all of this I've gained a lot of weight and now I'm on a mission of finding away to rid myself of this pain. I had just about given up, until recently.

If you have made it this far reading all of that, thank you. I hope my rambling story can be of some help to someone.

Happy Labor Day!

Hi Meie,
I have done some research and found the Guaifenesin protocol. It's the first time that I hear of anything that actually helps manage the illness rather than the symptoms. I'm tired of pain meds, sleeping pills etc. I would love to hear if it is working for you. Dr St Amand is really specific with diet and salicylate, I wonder if u are following theses? Took my first dose today, willing to try anything at this point.

Hi Meie,
That is strange and exciting news! Thanks for sharing. I now have more to research. :) and something more to ask my rheumatologist about.
Peace,
Cherie :)

Yes keep us posted. I had heard all about this protocol but was very sceptical but if it works for you i think i might try it as my pain is disabling.

Are there any bad side effects from Guaifenesin?

No side effects, pharmacist said this med is a real exception and doesn't interact with all my other meds!

Redladybug, I realize that this thread is older, and that you don't post often. I was on guaifenesin for about a year, but did not buy all the cosmetics and personal care products. Despite that, I think it helped. I have just gone through a very bad flare up of my symptoms, and decided to look at dr. st. amand's book again.
For years and years I have noticed that there are certain things that my body could not handle. Aspirin, (salicylate), is one of them.
Anyway....are you still on it? Does it continue to help you?

Oh my goodness! Last night...late....I purchased a Kindle book by Claudia Marek called " What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia Fatigue ". It was talking about this very protocol. You have to give regular updates...I would love to know how it works out for you.

And MelE, I used to have severely debilitating, wheelchair debilitating, Plantars Fasciitis. My dad had it as well although not as bad...and there is a really pain free simple proven way to get rid of it. It is so stupid simple. Send me a private message if you want the particulars.

And welcome!

It is an older thread...oh my, didn't see this! So disappointed. Has anybody else heard of this protocol?

I have a book by claudia marek called first year with fibromyalgia which also goes into the protacol in one chapter as she covers just about everything that could help from regular medicine, supplements, exercises, emotions...in fact the whole holistic approach . I have to say i was very sceptical about Guaifenesin but if it works for some people that can only be fantastic.

The way I look at it is that it can't hurt, (except your pocket book ��), so I've decided to start again. There are absolutely no side effects and guafenisin doesn't interfere with any other medications. I am only on a very low...4.5 mgs....dose of Remeron to help with sleep, so I am not worried at all.

I've even gone out to buy the salycitate free products this time. I've only taken 600mgs morning and night for a couple of days now, so it's still too early to judge the effectiveness.

If I decide to continue, I'll report back.

Btw...one thing that starting the protocol does do immediately is make you aware of how much sugar you are ingesting. I know from the past, sugar is my #1 enemy. ��

Interesting Paris. I'm still reading the book I mentioned before. The author is very long winded so I haven't gotten to the part of what to buy, mg dosages, what to avoid, other than the salycitate. Thankfully I am not able to eat sugar so,I am good on that front.

Either way it goes with you or your choice to continue to use the protocol or not can you please send us an update? Thanks so much. Take care.

I would also be interested in how this works for you! Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back