Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
WA
Just wondering if this might be Fibro-related.

I have the hardest time getting hydrated. I drink tons of water and still feel dehydrated all the time. It has caused problems getting my blood drawn, because even after drinking tons of water all day they still can't find my veins. Whenever I drink alcohol, even a small amount, my leg muscles cramp up no matter how much water I drank during the day. It definitely gets worse when it is hot outside.

I probably drink at least 80oz of water each day when I am not trying to hydrate. Even more when I start to feel the signs of dehydration.

Anyone else have this issue? Think it might be the Fibro, or am I just chronically dehydrated and it is completely random?

I don't presume that your condition is fibro related. Excessive thirst or polydipsia is a characteristic symptom of other conditions like diabetes insipidus or a false diagnosis of it due to drinking copious amounts of water. Might be you have zinc deficiency since this is an important cause and you should take zinc supplements. You would also benefit to know that it can also be abused by other conditions like osmolarity of intracellular body fluids or an excessive conc. of K+ ions in the blood (hypokalemia).

Hi LoveAlicia, welcome

I often feel thirsty all day. I think one of my medications makes my mouth dry and that's how I deal with it. You might check the side effects to see they could be causing dry mouth.

A few months ago I developed hand tremors. My doctor tested my electrolytes and my sodium was low, though my liver was fine. She suggested drinking less water. I followed her advice and now I don't have far less trouble with tremors

@LoveAlicia I'll echo the others and say it sounds as if you could have an electrolyte imbalance. You're drinking a lot of water, and perhaps it's diluting your electrolytes. The leg cramps, at least in my case, are usually caused by low magnesium level, so I try to regularly take calcium magnesium potassium tablets, and that helps stave off the cramps. If you have insurance and can get your vitamin and mineral levels checked, that might help your doctor (or nutritionist) pinpoint where to make changes.

That's is odd... they do have the hardest time finding my veins all the time, no matter what. They rarely find them, even if I had been drinking water 6 hours prior to the tests. I thought this was just the way it was, lol. Maybe you are drinking too much water? A friend of mine was talking about that and how good is to just drink water when you feel thirsty.

I also have the issue with medical personnel having difficulty finding my veins and getting needles into them. Thankfully, the nurse at the ER the other day was very experienced, and it didn't take nearly as long as it used to. Also, she put the IV tube into my arm, rather than my hand, which they've sometimes done in the past. I find the hand IVs very painful, but the arm one didn't bother me, other than when I had to raise my arm for the Cat Scan and the tape hurt like crazy.

I too developed this problem over the past two years. Before that you could draw my blood all day long.

SICCA syndrom goes with fibro also sorjans, I was drinking water constantly and my mouth was still dry. Thew off my electro lights ecc. I have to take cevimeline HLC. My veins are still hard to hit, but my mouth is not a dessert and I'm not over hydrating.

That's interesting as although i can't say i am dehydrated i am often very thirsty and my mouth is sooo dry.

I am too scared to add more drugs so avoided any thing like cevimeline but would like to know how much difference it makes...how long does it take to kick in and any side affects.

Because i have Interstitial cystitis i am very cautious about drugs that affect the urinary system in any way.

Okay, I seem to have not been clear. Thirsty and dehydrated are completely different things. I am not thirsty, I am never thirsty, which is because I am dehydrated. When you get dehydrated you don't want water. If I drank only when I was thirsty I wouldn't drink water.

Also, after I posted this I actually looked it up and found my answer. Dehydration is a side effect of fibromyalgia. Thanks for your replies though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back