Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2016
Country
US
State
CA
Hello everyone. My physician's assistant recently encouraged me to join a fibromyalgia support group so here I am. Like many of you, it took a long time (a year for me) to get a firm diagnosis, which I received just last week. Even a year ago I suspected I had the syndrome but my P.A. dismissed it as I only had 2 out of the 18 possible tender points, so the following months were spent going in a lot of different directions with all testing coming back negative. Finally I was referred to a rheumatologist who confirmed last week that I did indeed have fibromyalgia (and he found 16 tender points, by the way). Even though the diagnosis isn't great news, I have to admit I'm very relieved as it's better to know what I'm dealing with rather than letting my imagination decide for me. I'm glad I found this forum and am looking forward to knowing you all better.

Hi SierraTrout, I am new here too. Just found it today actually. I am also newly diagnosed, so if you want to chat on here (however we do that) I'm up for it. I messaged you because I saw no one else had yet. I'm hurting today, my doc switched meds yesterday, but I'm headed to the animal shelter anyway to volunteer. I need some snuggles, hopefully someone there (canine or feline) wants some too! I'm happy to share more about myself, if you'd like. Reply if you want. Hope you have an ok day. Kimberly

Hi Sierra and Kimberly.

I'm new to the site as well. Was just diagnosed after the last year of this bizarre syndrome.

So far, my doctor has prescribed Magnesium Malate. 3 times a day with meals. Also, I'm finding that even though I hurt so bad and can barely walk at times, it's better to try and move. Walk around the house at least.

If you haven't gained weight, watch out for that as well!!

Hi Kimberly,

Welcome! What new medication are you taking? Volunteering at the animal shelter is a great idea. Distractions help ease the pain for me and it sounds like you've found a good one. Hope you have a good day.

Hi Sarafina - Does the Magnesium Malate seem to be working for you? My sister gave me DiMagnesium Malate in powder form but I've been hesitant to try it as diarrhea can be a side-effect. My rheumatologist recommended mild cardio exercise every day for 20-30 minutes, so that's what I aim for. I usually walk in the neighborhood early in the morning when my energy is better, and to avoid the heat. Sometimes I go to a Zumba Gold class (that's Zumba for seniors!) as it's okay to just shuffle your feet if that's all you can do. I enjoy the social aspect of this and love the music, although sometimes the music is turned up too loud and I have to leave early. Hope you have a wonderful day.

WELCOME SierraTrout, Kimberly and Sarafina !
When first using the magnesium use a lower dose and work up. I started with 1/4 the recommended dose, (I use a powder), and after years of use, cannot take the full recommended dose. My body just doesn't need as much. It is wonderful for leg cramps,, helping you to relax and if you have constipation ,(like if you take opiods as I do for chronic pain),I can count on it to help that too.
Hope to 'hear' from you all again.

Hi Ruralchick - Thanks for the magnesium information. The recommended dosage for the powder I have is 400 mg, so I will start with 100 mg, as you suggested. Hope you're having a good day.

Hi Kimberly - I haven't seen any new posts from you and just wanted to connect. We were both diagnosed at about the same time. Are you doing okay? Hope to hear from you.

Hi there. Thanks for checking on me. I had a tough day yesterday, but saw a good friend so it balanced out! I'm happy to chat back and forth with you if you want. I just don't check my computer all day. Something is up with my fingers/hands and they're not sure it's just fibro. They hurt even to type. But it's worth it in this case.
I am not sure what to say, because if I go into everything that's not going right in my life it will look crazy! For now, I'll just say that body health and mental health are a struggle, and I'm finalizing a divorce. So, it's rough. But I seem to be on my feet so to speak, so I'm just going an hour at a time.
Want me to tell you things about myself, then you tell me. I'm interested in ideas for better health, but sort of just want community right now.
I'm throwing myself a 39th birthday party in August, for girlfriends, kind of just trying to be content with my age! I am a creative, I write, I sew wedding gowns from old gowns as a hobby, love reading (Just ordered The Princess Bride to reread, best book ever.) I'm headed to the animal shelter to visit a dog who I might take to the farmers market in my town Saturday, in order to get him adopted. I love being an aunt, don't currently have a job on purpose, sort of, and I love stickers.
That's enough. Would love to know you. If that's not what you want, that's cool. Tell me whatever! Kimberly

Hi Kimberly, good to hear that you're hanging in there. I get what you mean by appearing crazy with all the bizarre physical and mental things that can go wrong with us. Whenever I get a new symptom, I never know if it's part of the fibro or something else. There was a two-month period where something new was popping up every other week, from teeth issues to a two-hour episode of double-vision, plus more. So many doctor appointments; so much to fret over. Things are more stable now.
Sorry to hear about your divorce. I imagine the stress from that alone would aggravate the fibro symptoms.
Your hobbies sound interesting. I love reading as well, mostly historical fiction (The Nightengale and The Book Thief are great); legal suspense; and non-fiction books on Chinese immigration and culture (I'm half Chinese). I'm the self-appointed family historian and have spent hours on research, but have not been able to do this since developing fibro fog -- it requires too much concentration. Hope to return to it someday. I'm an introvert so I have to make an effort to get out and do things with others, otherwise I'll stay cooped up at home which is not good for me. I live by a beautiful canyon which I try to walk down once a week. Also enjoy hiking with my husband, Gentle Yoga classes, and Zumba Gold (Zumba for seniors).
Currently I'm just trying to figure out the things that will help me feel better so I can get the most out of life as I feel like I'm missing so much of it.
Hope today is a good one for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back