Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MD
The only shoes I can pretty much wear now are my comfortable Crocs. I used to wear slippers, boots, moccasins (were my favorite), ect. But now, if I wear something else besides my Crocs, my feet very much suffer from it that evening. At work, if I have an important meeting and have to dress up, I need to wear something nicer then Crocs of course, but at the end of the day, it is not cool. Makes it hard to stand up and make dinner/clean.
About 4 years ago, I worked at a bust grocery store in the deli and I would stand for about 6 - 10 hours a day without sitting (but no Crocs there). That was before. Oh I did suffer for that after work, but I always recovered. I am thinking my feet are telling me, enough is enough, no more.
I basically live in these Crocs. Shoes I used to wear collect dust in the closet. I have not purchased any new shoes (besides these Croc a year ago, I have to get a new pair every 3-5 years or so) in a few years. I mind as well not purchase any cute shoes because I most likely won't wear them. Hey, saves money.

Re: Shoes

i also only wear certain footwear..they have to be flat and very soft suede boots with thick spongey soles to absorb the shocks of walking from making my foot pain even worse than it already is.

I try to combine with style but comfort is the priority.

My slippers also have thick spongey furry soles and need lots of space so my feet and toes aren't confined. I have slim feet but need more room in footwear since fibro to let them kind of spread out to ease the pain so i have also gone up half a size.

I miss all my glamorous high heels and still cant part with some of my designer boots even though i know i wont ever wear them again.

Ive never tried crocs but glad youve found something that helps.

Omg shoes are a nightmare for me! How I long to wear 'nice' shoes! I have wide feet caused by a bunion, orthotics in both shoes for collapsed arches and I need shoes with really good ankle support for extremely hypermobile feet and ankles, I'm now looking at the shoes I need to buy to accommodate all of this but at the same time trying to get something stylish & not too old (I'm 38 & don't want old granny shoes!) plus at £80 a pair I will only be buying 1 pair at the moment. Just something else for me to moan about lol. I really do feel your pain.

Thanks for starting this topic because it is one of those details in our lives with fibro that often gets lost among our many other complaints.

I can only wear sneakers - period. And that has been my life since I started suffering from plantar fasciitis and heel spurs about 10 years ago.

Besides finding the right shoes, it is also very important to find the right insoles. You might need to invest in some real good ones, but believe me, the investment is truly worth it. I have 3 different insoles and cannot imagine living without them.

I also have a wooden foot massager that I use every night before I go to bed to release all the tension and pain in my feet. (though the massage is quite painful, I do notice a difference in the morning)

And as with everything else, thus incl. walking/standing up - you just have to listen to your body and take lots of breaks and rest whenever where ever possible. :))))

I think foot issues are so individual, which makes it hard to get help. I have so much foot pain, but there's nothing physically wrong with my feet. I remember being really annoyed by the orthotics person who said my feet were fine. Now I realize that by her standards they are. I spent a whack of money on expensive, orthotic shoes that were 'the best thing for people with fibromyalgia' and they'd help for a couple of days and then cause more pain. I find roomy shoes with a good rubbery sole that still has some flex in it and a variety of insoles helps. I switch out the insoles so that I'm not having too much pressure on any one point on the my feet. My favourite are 'profoot two ounce miracles'. Right now I'm wearing blundstones, but found my winter boots that I bought at Walmart one of the comfiest shoes I owned - much better than the $200 orthotic shoes.

I think foot issues are so individual, which makes it hard to get help.

I spent a whack of money on expensive, orthotic shoes that were 'the best thing for people with fibromyalgia' and they'd help for a couple of days and then cause more pain.

I'm wearing blundstones, but found my winter boots that I bought at Walmart one of the comfiest shoes I owned - much better than the $200 orthotic shoes.

I could not agree more!

Doctors have made me buy very expensive ortho shoes and insoles, but they only helped for a short while. The best shoes for me are those that I have found by chance. My fave sneakers are, for example, ones I'd bought at a Marshalls for 18 dollar years ago on a holiday in the US. I had kept them in my closet for years, back-up sneakers and now 5 years later, I LOVE them.

Same with insoles - the most expensive ones did nothing for me. The one that was mid-expensive has helped tremendously.

I can only wear shoes that provide solid footing and yet are lightweight. New Balance or Skechers, Nike, are some of the best. If you buy them in a wide size it will allow your toes more room and also help if your feet swell a bit. you can wear thicker socks to help with the extra room in shoes.

Teva,s all the way for me. The sandals not the flip-flops; cause if I wear flip flops I will flip and flop

I like the velcro straps and that they are flat. Got 4 pair, each was under $15.00 on Amazon this past January.

Teva,s all the way for me. The sandals not the flip-flops; cause if I wear flip flops I will flip and flop

I like the velcro straps and that they are flat. Got 4 pair, each was under $15.00 on Amazon this past January.

Those looks good - do they have minimal arch support? Too much arch kill my feet.

Seems we all consider our footwear something other folk don't even have to think about. I thought it was just me that had to completely change my footwear almost from the outset of fibromyalgia as foot pain was my very first symptom with like so many a diagnosis of plantar fasciitis. It turned out not to be that at all. It was the first signs of fibro.

LOL, I wonder if we had a fibro convention and all met up if we would all be dressed pretty much the same. Comfortable flats, soft clothes and some of us would turn up in our PJS and dressing gown and slippers!

I understand perfectly but after almost 8 years I refuse to give in. I still wear my heals!!! As painful as it is!!! I would rather die of pain (and the pain is so intense I feel like I am going to die) but I will NOT give up my beautiful heels :-| Fibromyalgia will not take that away from me :-/
In my original post I claimed I didn't have psychology issues...I guess I may have after all ;-)

I understand perfectly but after almost 8 years I refuse to give in. I still wear my heals!!! As painful as it is!!! I would rather die of pain (and the pain is so intense I feel like I am going to die) but I will NOT give up my beautiful heels :-| Fibromyalgia will not take that away from me :-/
In my original post I claimed I didn't have psychology issues...I guess I may have after all ;-)

Lol! I get ya' MariaC. I fortunately, have moved to a small town where heels look kind of out of place. So I can wear my blundstones and skinny jeans and still feel halfway fashionable. Heels simply cannot happen. But, man, I remember those days where i rocked that pair of wooden platform shoes - they made the most amazing, confidence inspiring sound when I walked.

You and I would be from the sounds of it. Jogging pants for me :)

Seems we all consider our footwear something other folk don't even have to think about. I thought it was just me that had to completely change my footwear almost from the outset of fibromyalgia as foot pain was my very first symptom with like so many a diagnosis of plantar fasciitis. It turned out not to be that at all. It was the first signs of fibro.

LOL, I wonder if we had a fibro convention and all met up if we would all be dressed pretty much the same. Comfortable flats, soft clothes and some of us would turn up in our PJS and dressing gown and slippers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back