Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
Well I got the diagnosis from the rheumatologist, it's fibro. My doc wants to put me on Cymbalta but I'm kind of afraid. I don't really like to take mind altering drugs, I've been reading up on the side effects, I have a very low tolerance for drugs that make one drowsy or dizzy. I was thinking about asking to take Gabapentin instead because I took it before for the pains that would shoot down my legs from sciatica, and it helped a lot and I don't remember any bad side effects. I took it for about a month, but I don't remember the dosage. I do know I only took it at night. It's also that I really don't want to take a drug every single day. Is there anything used to treat fibro that can be taken only when one has really bad pain. My sister says I should try smoking pot LOL

Hi JudyBlueyes,

I'm glad u got a diagnosis, now u can start treating it properly.I know your worried about side effects, but you never know how a medication will help u,until you try it. Although not all Fibro meds take away all the pain,they can help a lot.

If you don't take the medication every day as prescribed, the medication will not be at a certain level in your blood to be effective. So you should take the medication as your physician orders.
Some medications are made to be taken as needed and others aren't.
Your Rheumatologist has diagnosed u,now give him a chance to try and help u. Since your newly diagnosed, I would not give up on any medications that may help you function daily and decrease pain.
Cymbalta, Lyrica and Savella are the medications the Rheumatologist like to start with. And if one doesn't work they try another.
It can take awhile to get the right combination of meds that work,and that you feel won't make you dtoo drowsy.
If Gabapentin works u might be able to use that in conjunction with the other med. Work with your doctor so you can formulate a plan that works for u.

Good luck

Sagey

Thanks Sagey, I took my first Cymbalta tonight. I decided to give it a try. Will see how it goes. I've had a pretty good week, little pain until this morning and here it is again in my shoulders and neck... whoo-hoo! LOL

Ok, not taking any more of this cybalta. I feel like a zombie. I can't think, I move in slow motion, I feel totally disconnected. And it's time-released, so the feeling keeps coming and going. Luckily I have nothing to do today but I work tomorrow and I can't function like this.

Im like you Judy....meds dont seem to agree with me very well..i get zombie feeling nausea sick and so spaced out i feel drunk and almost a danger to myself as i dont know what im doing...some people do find the side affects reduce given time...but its almost impossible to tolerate if you have to go to work.

I hope you can find something that suits you better....what about tramadol...many here use it and you can take it as and when needed.

Same here.....I'm very sensitive to most medications and am reluctant to try any of the suggested ones for fear of side effects such as drowsiness and weight gain. Still deciding what to take..... other than anti inflammatory and paracetamol both of which have very little effect.

Hi, I'm newly diagnosed too and have been on Cymbalta for just over a month. I too was very hesitant to start something I had to take every day, an anti-depressant at that, but I was in pain and desperate. Side effects were pretty bad for the first few days and I thought about stopping, but if you can hang in there for a week, it should start settling out (if not, then definitely stop it). For me, I do think it's helping. I still have some painful days, but not every day, and it's definitely helped my anxiety. I have been having trouble sleeping and tired during the day, but am slowly learning to manage it.
Of course, everyone is different, but you probably need to give it at least a week before you really know.
Good luck!

Thanks Peg! I understand that for most people it would be best to give it time, but I just don't have a week of my life to give to get used to a drug or see if the side effects go away. I can't afford to take time off of work (I'm already on reduced hours) and I'm really super sensitive to drugs. I can't even take antihistamines, and most opiods knock me right out. I took one cymbalta on Saturday and now it's Monday and I can still feel the effects, I still feel spaced out. Luckily where I work (I'm a bartender) it's mostly regulars because I was walking around doing stupid things all day. LOL

Please Check your label on side effects. Everyones diffrent...for myself Cymbalta and Lyrica were both like poison to my body. I was desperate enough to stay on them for at least 3 months. This is what happened (TO ME).

Dizzy
Falling
Depth perceptin off
Dry mouth
Mouth Blisters
Studdering
Ringing in ears
WEIGHT GAIN

These were the ones I remember.
Have you tried Any herbal answers?

Im truely sorry you have been diagnosed with fibro.

Trust me, I've read all the horror stories, and keep watching for problems. I've had tinnitus for ever, but it's definitely been worse, starting to get some mouth ulcers, random dry skin patches, decreased appetite, nausea (but I always have low-level nausea so it's no worse). Usually in the morning I get hit by overwhelming fatigue for a bit, and then have some trouble staying asleep at night.... BUT It is helping my pain, so for now it's worth it. Hopefully can find a less nasty alternative in the future though.

For you, Judy, sounds like it was pretty rough! Stopping might have been the right idea. I just know I was tempted to stop several times but stuck with it and it got better. I hope you and your doctor can figure out something that helps.

Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. For me I'd rather the pain than to feel like a zombie, but everyone is different. I've started taking 5-htp 50mg. I also take vit E, magnesium, coq10 and vit B. Has anyone tried cannabis oil?

There are threads not that long ago about CBD oil....its all double dutch to me but there were a lot of posts if you look back a month or so ago that might help from people who had opinions about CBD.

Thanks diamond. Read the thread and think I'm gonna try it. I live in California so I can get it legally here. Unlike some of these drugs it can't hurt! :)

So sorry about your diagnosis, I was diagnosed in January of this year. My doctor put me on methotrexate...could not tolerate it at all as it was like a rollercoaster ride with pain. I had also researched the methotrexate....not a good med at all....So he put me on Cymbalta....took it for a week (at a low dose) to see how my body reacted to it...and like you...it made me feel a little groggy...however after the week I filled my regular prescription at the regular dosage and I seriously went from a quality of life of 1 to a 10....I am feeling so much better now...sleeping very well...still have a little pain...but only sometimes...I really hope you can find something that will work for you...I will be praying!

Dar1536..how was your life affected before Cymbalta..did you have severe pain and fatigue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back