View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 02:25 PM #8 (permalink)
Registered Member

vickythecat is a name known to allvickythecat is a name known to allvickythecat is a name known to allvickythecat is a name known to allvickythecat is a name known to allvickythecat is a name known to all
Registered Member
City: fibrocity
State: Earth
Diagnosed: 01/2013
Interest: I have Fibromyalgia, chronic pain, or chronic fatigue.
vickythecat is a name known to allvickythecat is a name known to allvickythecat is a name known to allvickythecat is a name known to allvickythecat is a name known to allvickythecat is a name known to all
Default Re: new doctor, how to make the best of the appoinment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkacola View Post

When seeing a new doctor, dress nicely and speak evenly and look him or her in the eye. Remember you are trying to make a good impression on somebody important. How you are perceived will affect the care you receive.
This totally makes sense, first impression matter a lot. Also because it is also very important to show them that you are not being a hypochondriac or that you are serious about this and the disabilities in your life.

That said, I had a friend who worked in the field of 'disability assessment' and she often told me that 'if you are well-spoken, speak coherently, dress well, look clean etc etc.', then the assessor will often also assume that you are not all that sick. I am sure this is not true for all assessors/countries.

I know going to the doctor is a different matter than going for an disability assessment, but it does confuse me a lot. When I went to the doctor last week, I had been preparing for 3 days in advance = cutting my hair/blow drying it so that it looked neat, shaving, cleaning/ironing the clothes I'd be wearing, practicing my sentences/wording - but the doctor did not take me all that seriously either. He basically said 'if your brain MRI comes back clean, you need to see a shrink' (I know, we have all been there)

Maybe he looked at me, saw that I looked 'well-taken care of', 'coherent' and thought I look like that everyday so could not be all that sick. I don't know...I wish a doctor would tell us what we should do in order to be taken seriously.

never mind me .... my mind is confused, I have poor social skills, I dont get people....