Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2006
Country
US
State
MI
Hi! Wishing everyone comfort and Happy Mother's Day to the mother's! Here's my question: I'm pretty sure my doctors are right that I have fibromyalgia based on my symptoms, except two things still puzzle me. Does anyone else get better on prednisone? This has happened several times for me over the years. Does this make sense for fibromyalgia, because I read that scientists haven't found inflammation in the tissues where there is pain in fibromyalgia patients and they think it is some kind of dysfunction of the nervous system. Also, when I was on enbrel the pain was gone most of the time. It acts on the immune system, right? Anybody have this kind of experience or understand it? Thanks!

Hello, I can understand your confusion about inflammation. I read on your profile that you have an autoimmune disease. From the hundreds of hours of research I have done it is clear that autoimmune disease causes inflammation in the body. Prednisone reduces inflammation & slows down disease progression. However used long term prednisone can start to do more harm than good. Not knowing what dose you're on I want to caution you about the side effects of prednisone. While it is a lifesaving drug, Doctors rarely warn people about prednisone's ability to affect someone's personality. Everyone is an individual & may not be affected at all. For me 50 mgs caused me to feel angry. I became the ***** from hell. I argued with my adult son. I swore like gutter trash and repeated complaints about my illness over & over. I didn’t even realise my behaviour was as bad as it was. Normally I am a quiet person who cares about other people. I lost the support of the few people who cared about me. Take the lowest possible dose you can. Side effects often go if you're taking less than 10 mg. Enbrel also supresses the immune system therefore please be careful as you might be more susceptible to infection. Best wishes & I hope you get the answers you need.

Thank you for the reply. It is a short term prednisone for asthma. Just a week or so, and by now a low dose. But I have been on it before and had my pain improve. I'm not on Enbrel anymore. Thanks for the info, though.

Have you heard of polymyalgia..it has similar symptoms to fibro but is diagnosed by a sedimentary test and treated with steroids which give rapid improvement.

Maybe you should get tested as it is a completely different disease. If i had a choice i would much prefer polymyalgia as it is far easier to control with low dose steroids and often gets better on its own after a few years.

Not that taking steroids is good or not without horrid side affects.

Good Luck

Thanks! I have an appointment today. I will ask about this.

Good Luck..please let us know how you get on.

My doctor was interested in more testing. She put me on methotrexate for now. Thanks for being interested! : )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back