Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2010
Country
US
State
FL
Well the first was to determine why I have numbness and tingling in my left hand. MRI showed bulging discs in my C spine. I have a fusion on c6-c7,so its kinda not surprising.

The second was to find out why my shoulder/arm is in excruciating pain when I stretch or move my shoulder . It would have been last week, but the first imaging center wasnt that great ( really bad front end), and I told the nurse to send a referral to a new place. ( which was is amazing. Efficient and thorough )

Ok, back to the story. Well it was 20 minutes of excruciating ( stabbing) pain. I was holding back the tears. I go back to the internist on the 9th, but I can access my records through the imaging center.

grrrrrrr.

I feel your pain - literally. I also have fusion in my neck (2 levels, c5-6-7) and I hate myself for ever going for the operation in the first place. My life completely changed after the operation. The pain is now all over the place, I am sure the levels below and above are bearing this mistake as well. And those screws and bolts in my neck are seriously making me sick. My body does not like foreign objects (I loved piercings in my 20s but my body pushed them all out - weird but true!), and I should've known they'd hate the hardware used for the fusion.

As for your shoulder - it could be frozen shoulder and/or nerve damage. Did the pain start after an injury/exercise? My shoulder has been giving me burning and stabbing pain since its dislocation 3 years ago. They said it was frozen shoulder and that it would 'open' up on its own and the pain would disappear in 2 years time. Haha...the joke was on me, the pain is there and I still cannot fully lift or use my right arm.

wishing you lots of strength!

How soon do expect to get your results wineisfine? It takes weeks here in the U.K. I really hope you get some answers soon.

@vickythecat

frozen shoulder...oooh could be. I initially thought I dislocated it, because of the hypermobility. And I have had joints go out, but they usually go back in pretty easily without much pain. But this has been going on for a couple of months

@Lou38

My radiology results will be in by next Monday. Its a 5 day lead time and I can go online and get my results from the imaging center.

Good call Vicky :)

MRI showed tiny ligament tears and frozen shoulder. Next stop an orthopedic doc

Frozen shoulders can heal them selves and go through stages...but i guess we are all individual and no guarantee. I was told i had frozen shoulder as it was one of my first symptoms..later it became part of my fibromyalgia diagnosis...so restricted movement and pain..ive had it for almost 10 years but kind of got used to it.

I have to seriously limit activity to manage it..but if its a true frozen shoulder they can do cortisone shots and physio i think.

I hope with right treatment yours gets much improved.

Good call Vicky :)

MRI showed tiny ligament tears and frozen shoulder. Next stop an orthopedic doc

Frozen shoulder is a tough 'disability' to leave it. I have to call it a disability because you learn not to use your shoulder, less of that arm, you learn to use your whole body differently = you learn to sleep differently, dress, shower, cook, clean etc. all in a different way.

I am so angry at my doctors here. They were after my money and told me that I had to follow an intensive physical therapy program for 3 months. But those physical therapy sessions were true HELL. They were pushing and pulling my arm and shoulder, it was so so so painful....tears would roll down my face from the pain, the intense burning and electric shocks. It was horrible. The only thing that helped with the stability of my shoulder was kinesio taping. But one day I walked out there, in tears, very very angry, and never went back to any doctor ever since. I simply decided to wait it out. I did continue to do some of the basic shoulder/arm exercises, but otherwise I did nothing. (of course, continued with my meds and my hot water bottles)

I am sure your doctors will be much better than the ones I had, so keep an open mind about treatment options. But also know that just waiting it out is often the only solution. All the best!

I tend to agree with vicky....i have never found physio helped me at all quite the reverse...but we are all individual..i would say take any exercise very gently.

I found just bending forward and gentle arm swinging and a few circular motions with the shoulder to help it stay a little more flexible..but nothing that hurts.

My physio had me raise my arm above my head a few times..the result i seized up completely down one whole side of my body and my arm was glued to my side for weeks!

So what ever approach slow slow slow..dont let them boss you as dont forget you also have fibro so we cant exercise like normal people.

Thanks for the excellent advice and wisdom. :)

PT and I arent the best of friends. I had a really good one who "got it", other than that, most have been horrible. As a nurse once said, most dont understand hypermobility ( and probably fibro) and they may try to remove the knots that are holding me together.

But yea, My shoulder doesnt need a dislocation due to PT and the last thing I need is a flare on top of this.

Thanks again.

Me: This is too much, ( holding back the tears)

Therapist:You shouldnt be in this much pain

Me: A couple of my fibro friends had the same response to PT

Therapist: Silence, no response

He is trying more conservative treatment, and I have to not use my arm on my non Pt days, cause when I dont use my arm, he can move it more. I go back to the Ortho on tuesday

I just want to scream.

thanks for listening everyone

Hi Wineisfine,

I have never had a shoulder injury,but what I have seen,it's very painful.Hopefullly PT can get some of your mobility and strength back and u can work on the rest.I do have problems with my discs in my neck,It seems like a lot of us have that in common with Fibromyalgia.

Hope u heal faster!

Sagey

I have some serious pain in my right shoulder and on the right side of my neck and down that arm. It doesn't get better; physical therapy really didn't help, although it was never painful, they were gentle.

Go careful Wineisfine..as we know our bodies simply dont react like other peoples...hopefully this new pt will be extra gentle.

I hate giving control of my body to anyone else to do as they please. i hope you get some mobility back and less pain and discomfort.

Take Care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back