Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
Nor
State
Norge / Norway
Hi! Hope you can shed some Light on what's going on with my body.
It all started about five years ago. I was healthy athletic man in my prime, never had any health issues.
Then one day i woke up with a stiff lower back, but it loosened as the day went on. As days and weeks passed i got progressively stiffer and stiffer in the lower back.
It all ended up with my seriously tweaking my lower back while dead lifting,and after that it all went down hill.
I never managed to loosen up lower back with massage stretching or corrective exercises.
Fast forward a year and i start getting pains and stiffness in my mid back, hips, si joint, knees, feet, shoulders, neck, and now recently my elbows wrists and fingers.

The strange thing Is the more i use a muscle the tighter it gets. Just washing the floor in my appartement Is enough the cause severe stiffness in my back and neck.
When its real bad i cant even stand for more then a couple of minutes before i can feel the lower back muscles stiffen, and pain increase.
And if i try to sit on a chair without really good back support i get serious pain in mid back and neck.
If i massage and stretch the muscles they relax a bit, and i can do a little more before they stiffen up again.
I get better after laying down and relaxing. Im better in the Morning, and get worse the more i do and the later it gets. My joints make loud clicking and grinding noises.
I've also developed sound sensitivity, extreme dry mouth and frequent headaches.
But the real killer Is the muscle stiffness from activity, it prevents me from almost doing anything, and has ruined my life.
I've seen two rheumatologists, the only thing that showed up Is hashimoto's. But proper medication with T4 and t3 has not resolved the issues.
I don't have fatigue, brain fog or tender points.
My Mother has EXCACTLY the same symptomes as me, doctors never found anything, and finally gave the diagnosis fibromyalgia. Does this sound like fibro to you guys?

Hi Bozzy,

From what you described it doesn't sound like Fibromyalgia to me.But I could be wrong.I don't know if your doctor did any testing because you didn't mention any.To diagnose Fibromyalgia correctly the doctor needs to rule out other diseases.Mris, Emg's, muscle testing.blood testing etc.Once they exclude other things and you have the majority of symptoms of Fibromyalgia, then they will diagnose u.I f they just label u with Fibromyalgia because they have no clue its wrong!

You're mostly describing "stiffness "on activity.Any extreme fatigue?
Post exertional malaise? Pain bilaterally throughout body? Tenderness or pain to pressure
Hashimotos is an autoimmune disease and has many symptoms and should be taken seriously and be monitored.It isn't something that should just be taken care of once and that's it.It needs to be monitored by your physician.

Many Fibro people have stiffness when they first wake up or if they have been immobile for some time.If you read a lot on the forum you can compare your symptoms to others.And see if it coincides.

I hope you can find out what u have or get diagnosed properly.

Sagey

Thanks for the response Sagey!

My rheumy did run alot of blood test and they all camera back negative. I've also had several MRI's, Nothing showed up.

The muscle stiffness is pretty much constant in my back, hips and neck,and it get worse the more active i am.
Can't say i experience the extreme fatigue most with fibro describes.
I'm able to go hiking in the mountains for a couple of hours no problem. So no post exertional malaise.
Yes the pain Is bilaterally throughout the body.
But if i lay down in a comfy position the pain subsides, so i Sleep really well at night, and seldom have any significant pain when waking. I also don't experience the brain fog most with fibro describes, my mind Is sharp as ever.
My muscles are very sore, but I don't experience pain when pressure Is applied. Im able do give myself deep tissue massage with a la cross ball and Foam roller no problem.I thought fibromyalgia caused you to be very sensitive to touch? Maybe because I'm a man, I'm not as sensitive to pain?
My hashimoto's Is closely monitored by my endocrinologist.

The crazy thing Is my Mother has excactly the same symptomes as me, and also my aunt! What's the chance of all three of us having fibro? That's just crazy.

Also prednisone gives me some relief. It lessens the pain and stiffness some. Is that common with fibro?
Any other blood tests i can ask for?
I'm really at my wits end.

I get stiffer and stiffer as i am active with fibro...i seize up easily rather than ease out like most fibro people...

At the beginning i had mostly morning stiffness but gradually that changed to be just as you describe but also lots of pain too. Some people pain levels are also much lower and just sore and achy to varying degrees and not all fibro people hurt to be touched.

We are all different but of course i am not a medical professional. Read around on the forum an also you could get a second opinion. Good Luck

Also i have read many articles that say there is 50% chance of inheriting this condition from a parent....one of my parents has it and i believe one of my Uncles too. My grandmother had rheumatism and that is now known to be what doctors called fibro back in the 1950's and 60s .

I also had no brain fog for 7 or 8 years of fibro and even now i would say its mild and not a major problem for me.

Also many people start with mild symptoms and then progress...mine started in both my feet and no where else...then my whole lower body then gradually the upper body....later IBS and migraines.

Its possible you have fibro but a mild case..i didnt have fatigue very much at the very start.

Just take good care of yourself..if it is fibro then you have a better chance of keeping it mild of you reduce stress and dont over do it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words! Will make sure to not overdo it, but it sure Is hard when im used to be super active and athletic.
Getting my thyroid medicated right, and adding LDN have made a difference in my pain and energy levels, but im still not able to do to much before the stiffness and back pain kills me.
But if i lay down and relaxe for 30 min,the pain and stiffness subdides and i can do a little more.
I also get horrible mid back pain when sitting without proper back support.
I'm still a little puzzled that the prednisone gives me some relieve, thought that wouldnt do anything for fibro pain?

I've also found that a strict ketogenic diet helps some. Consuming large amounts of sugar and carbs really exacerbate my symptomes.

Hi Bozzy,

I've taken prednisone and it has helped a lot.But that was only taken for a period of severe inflammation in my feet.
When I was younger I had legs pains and just thought it was being on my feet all the time and varicose veins, but it could have been the a start of Fibro when I look back now. I did have periods of severe fatigue every couple of months and I thought it was a virus, so I kept on living.Im not sensitive to pressure either , but might feel my muscles in pain if I lift something heavy or over use them too much.

I believe Fibro is hereditary, so if your mom and your aunt have it ,it's possible.
There aren't any specific blood tests for Fibro.I just meant that they rule out other diseases with blood test. So it does sound like u have had test to rule out other things.You could possibly have a mild case now, which is good for u.

But you should keep in your mind to not push your body past the levels it is capable of.Because it could make things worse.Eating a healthy diet and mild to moderate excercise depending how much u can tolerate also helps.Pacing and resting like u do is good.It helps the body rest and according to u helps your stiffness.

If your Doctor did all the tests and it sounds like he did,then I would trust his judgement.It could be you just don't have the fatigue symptom.But u do have the pain and Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain syndrome.It also doesn't mean you'll have pain all the time.It could be intermittent depending on the situation.Your young and you sound physically fit..So just be cautious.

Sagey

I am not a doctor.... so let that be known. However, I have had a lot of similar issues. I was very healthy, very active in sports. I started getting all of these injuries like tendonitis, impingement, runners knees, etc. I chalked it up to over-exercising, even if I was taking it easy. Flash forward, FM diagnosis. But, I have a lot of other things that it doesn't sound like you have.

Have you considered myofascial pain syndrome? It can have similar symptoms to FM. Myofascial pain syndrome - Mayo Clinic

Good luck and I hope you find some relief and answers soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back