Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2017
Country
UK
State
Scotland
I wonder if anyone else has experienced this, I'm not sure if it's fibro related & I'm not due to see my rheumatologist until early next year. Every so often my palms feel really hot and they go bright red & shiny in appearance. I had bloods done for lupus a couple of weeks ago so I assume these were negative when I haven't heard anything yet.

That is usually an increase of blood flow.
Most people get in the face , but it can be any place too I would think.

I get it in my hands and very hot toward my fingers , and my feet towards my toes. It's burning so hot the best I can do it soak them in ice cold water. That usually made it goes away. But if it persistence then I'll rub them with some local numbing cream. Also keep your arms high up elevating in the air for a few minutes sometime can help. But try cold water first.

Perasthesia can cause redness on skin which is one of the fibro symptom .

Hello,I am new to this forum.I am getting close to the end of my second decade with this disorder.I have some thoughts about any of the myriad of symptoms that seem to show up randomly.Yes,you should try to find some form of relief!But,do not have all kinds of negative thoughts,and jump to conclusions. You will, without a doubt,lose that strange symptom and replace it with another one or several more.You just never know what your specific version has in store for you!I have found that having a bunch of tests every time a new symptom shows its ugly face,only adds to your anxiety,and 99% of the time will turn out negative.I have several strategies to help with the erratic nature of fibro symptoms,and none are easy to follow religiously.I want to help.

I have this Lou and it also makes the skin burn and sore feeling....also at the same time any skin that is say touching the bed sheets gets sore overnight and painful feels like if you had a thorn in your finger that had become infected and the creases of skin on the backs of my hands feel like paper cuts....the skin like you describe on the palm seems shiny........ and for me suddenly very dry on the backs sometimes.

Its worse in hot weather or if i say put rubber gloves on to do house work like cleaning the bathroom to protect my skin in the first place!

Mine started to cause little breakouts of dermatitis on the backs of my hands and now i have to limit how much time i spent with my hands getting wet ...like hand washing laundry ( i dont do this anymore at all) or doing wet type house chores.....even washing up.

Mine comes and goes ..use lots of pure moisturiser and keeping hands cool helps. For me it seems to be another mystery of this illness all to do with over active central nervous system....and gets instantly more sensitised when im stressed..lol which is pretty often because of my fibro becoming more severe and restricting...chicken and egg scenario.

I also get it on my toes ....after a shower they go bright red and itchy in patches.

Last edited:
Omg I hate my itchy red spotty patchy stingy annoyingly shiny bloody red ( sometime can get little swollen ) hands and toes!!!. It looks like my chilblain so much I can't tell them apart sometime. Grrrr I can't even wear shoes when that happen. My heels cold but my toes are burning. And hands oh my hands , if not lobster claws ( just fingers) then it's a crabs claws ( whole hands). Don't get me started . :mad:

Last edited:
yes me too...my toes can go red hot and sore from rubbing in my footwear or the front of my thighs from rubbing on very soft trousers.

I should add these symptoms are all new and joined in the fibro party over the last decade...they are not life long symptoms.

Lou as you are from Scotland i am guessing like me you are fair skinned...i am pale as snow and i think we are also prone to some of these skin sensitivity issues as my face skin is also prone to flushing easily and if not kept in check can turn to dermatitis.

I sometimes feel i have gone from robust..i used to be good athlete in my young years and very capable business woman...to made of china!

Easily broken in all ways!

Last edited:
I have a similar (but I don't think quite the same) thing I noticed recently. My palms turn a blotchy red/white, and I do feel a bit of heat/throbbing but not serious. It only happens when my hands are below my heart (if I raise them, they go back to normal, I lower them, I can watch them turn all blotchy). Seems to be the only place where this is noticeable. Probably a weirdo circulation thing. Not really a problem, but I knew i was not normal when I first noticed it.

If you're getting redness with itchy skin/exema/etc, it is more likely a circulation issue. What to do about it? Not a clue, other than using good creams to combat any rashes/itchiness. Something high in vitamin e, and anti-fungals like tea tree oil help too. If it's serious, get a medicated steroid cream from your doctor.

If you're getting redness with itchy skin/exema/etc, it is more likely a circulation issue. What to do about it? Not a clue, other than using good creams to combat any rashes/itchiness. Something high in vitamin e, and anti-fungals like tea tree oil help too. If it's serious, get a medicated steroid cream from your doctor.

I used to think all hands and feet problem was all circulation issues , I also get very blotchy ( mixture of red and white) but they are much more than just that.

Yesterday my toes finally show sign of raynaud symptom at last. Now I'm fully and completely had enough to claim that I experienced all the hands and feet known in public records as the phenomanon type of syndromes today.

My chilblain : cause by disconnected tissues red white blood cell , it's clearly feels like a very bad inflamation. it's suddenly feeling like it's burning, it starting with tenderness when moving feeling tingly itchy , shinny tight skin bright red color. THEN it gets super blotchy red white spotting or mix patches. When they getting worse it will get swellen very sore with cramps aches and pains in finger and hands joints like a wide spread nerve pains in the hands or feet area. When it gets extremely bad , my fingers and toes will get bruises and very tender . If left untreated for long time it will start to look dead. Every pains burns itch cramps or swollen or dead like will LAST For months, mostly in winter . Sometime summer if the outside and inside temperature are too far different from each other.

Treatments : It needs to be treat with very very slowly changing temperature in hands and feet in water , can't be too fast or it won't get fix and get worse.

Perasthesia: In hands and feet problem , I gets bright red hot tingling burning like a bad scratchy dry skin or super heat skin burning like they are on FIRE!! , aches cramps pains sensation like hundreds of pins and needles in hands and feet sometime spreading to wrists or ankles like bad sprains.

Treatment : quick ice cold temperature change will get rid of the red burning stinging pains, keep cool.

Raynaud : This one need Vickythecat to explain it cause I'm just only 1 day old in this symptoms I can only say that it's cold and it's super white , I have to reheating my self for it.

For me first treatment was quickly soak in hot bath.

Circulation treatment can help but I think it's more of the brain dysfunctional command to nerves and then nerves causing blood supply to react out of bounce. I could be wrong cause although temperature treatment seems to always help it's always coming back over and over again on it's own.

Thanks for all your replies. I recently started Gabapentin for neuropathic pain and wonder if it's a symptom of that. It's not painful, just burning hot and my palms look really red & shiny. It disappears after a while. It's probably just another weird & wonderful symptom of fibro.

I tried Neurontin , it gave me mini seizures. And I'm not an epileptic either.
Head felt like it weighed 500 pounds. Couldn't raise my chin off my chest. For me that drug was BAD. I would never take it again.

Hopefully it will help some of you though.😊
It's worth a try if it will bring relief.

But , if nothing can be done to treat this disorder/disease ,
Then why are we given all these medications to try ?
Yes , I realise it's to try to bring all of us some comfort , but aren't we causing our bodies more harm by taking all these meds ?

I'm looking for answers because I don't really understand it.

Yes Lou it could be a side affect.....its one of the reasons i was so reluctant for years to take any medication as we never know if the meds actually make things worse or trigger new symptoms...or if fibro is just ramping up randomly.

You look at the leaflet with the list of side affects ...many say can cause muscle pain! ugh.... or fatigue or even infections or suicidal thoughts or anxiety....i want to run a mile thinking i can manage this myself rather than get worse.

It messes around with your mind ....but if the side affect is mild and the medication clearly helps you be in less pain and more functional then its worth it.

take care

Thanks for your reply diamond. I do wonder if all the drugs I take are worth it. Gabapentin causes weight gain along with Amitriptyline and I take both. I have osteoarthritis in my knees which is exacerbated more the heavier I am. It's such a viscious circle!

Take care.

yes i know what you mean round and round in circles...different advice and not knowing whats best but still wanting solutions.

I used to take 6 different meds a day for 10 years.I now take 3 and found that you should be the judge of what works.Less is better,because I was so much more of a mess,and much closer to making decisions that today I would regret.You have to figure it out yourself,but get informed and explore avenues that make sense for you and work on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back