Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
OH
I appear to have had symptoms starting around 6 years ago of fibro. Last year I was diagnosed as ADHD inattentive type and put on medication. So I'm wondering, do I have fibro fog, ADHD, or both?

I'm on the max dose of Cocerta(12 hour Ritalin). It clears my head which I think it does in fibro fog as well, however it does something else. I used to need anxiety meds to function during the day. I no longer do. Concerta actually calms me down immensely. Which also means it doesn't really fix the fatigue and I can still sleep through my Concerta peak. I have a bit more pep in my step but its the calming down that makes me want to not write it off as just fibro fog.

Also my son has ADHD. I made one, so I may be one. :D

Anyone have an idea or experience?

Have you been diagnosed with fibro? what other fibro symptoms do you have? I am asking because you focus on the fibro fog, which is indeed a huge part of fibro, but I guess almost everyone here on this forum can agree that it is not the worst part of fibro.

I don't have much experience with ADHD personally. My ex was diagnosed with it when he was young, but as an adult seemed to have less problems. He did get a lot of therapy over the years, so I'd look into those options if I were you as well. Those kinds of therapies can always help - with or without fibro.

My advice is sadly a generic one; please go talk to your doctor about it.

I suffer from fibro fog, often though I don't know whether it is fibro fog, being 'stupid at the moment', being overwhelmed/anxious, or it is just a bad day. It is important to write down things, how fibro fog or concentration problems are affecting your life. How does medication help or not help? with these notes, your doctor can have a better idea of what is happening.

all the best!

Oh that was just the relevant piece to this question. I've suffered full body pain as far back as 6 years ago (which I thought was medication induced at the time). As well as sever fatigue.

I also have a degenerated, herniated disk (L4-L5) with pinched nerve. However when explaining my symptoms and seeing the MRI the spinal surgeon said he couldn't help me.

I went back to my PCP. She thought it may be nerve pain so she put on gabapentin. Which did nothing. For my back or otherwise. So I went to my pain doctor, explained my symptoms to him. He started pushing points and I started yelling and tried to talk away from him and he kept following and poking. He said fibro. I'm going to a rheumetologist as soon as I could make the appointment which is mid December. He can have the final say.

The only thing I know at this point is I'm no longer on movement restrictions and I'm sure the pain won't damage me. So now it's about working my way back up.

I was just curious as to whether anyone else had a similar issue or had any insight. Google doesn't seem to be helpful in that regard. Also I don't know if my psych would know about fibro or my rheum would know about ADHD lol. They may have to schedule a meeting.

It never did cross my mind of how much ADHD and fibro fog are alike. :shock:

But just because you made one, doesn't always mean that you have one. From what I know most ADHD do often skip generation.

No wonder why I feel ADHD ish everytime I get fibro fog.

I went back to my PCP. She thought it may be nerve pain so she put on gabapentin. Which did nothing. For my back or otherwise. So I went to my pain doctor, explained my symptoms to him. He started pushing points and I started yelling and tried to talk away from him and he kept following and poking. He said fibro. I'm going to a rheumetologist as soon as I could make the appointment which is mid December. He can have the final say.

The painful pushing of the doctors, ahh true hell. I hate it how they do it, like poking wounds as little kids 'does this hurt, does this hurt' ahhhh....:)

It is great that you will be seeing a rheumatologist soon. Please tell him/her about the whole ADHD and/of fibro fog issues you are having. Also medications can have adverse effects, especially in wrong combinations so it is very important for the doctor to know which meds you use and used, what your complete set of symptoms and complaints are.

You might also consider going back to a mental health expert to figure out how you can best handle a diagnosis of fibro in combination with ADHD.

all the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back