View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 01:30 PM #4 (permalink)
BethU

BethU

Hi, Heather ... I'm a little confused. Are you worried because you are NOT sneezing? Is not being able to sneeze considered a sign of ALS?

Perhaps I've misunderstood your message.

I've just read this weekend that frequent sneezing IS sometimes considered a "symptom" of ALS. Anyway, here's my experience. Frequent sneezing is something I've been experiencing for several years. I have never mentioned it to anyone, as I figured I just have a really strange allergy that won't go away. I have about a half dozen unexpected sneezes a day with no apparent cause.

My biggest worry has been about getting the BiPap, as I can't imagine what my sneezes will do to the machinery! These are not dainty little "achoos."

So ... for what it's worth, I have ALS and I sneeze like crazy. If you're not sneezing, I'd say it's not anything to worry about. (Even if you are sneezing, my guess is that it's not a significant symptom.)

But fibromyalgia IS something to worry about. The medical profession certainly thinks it's a very real illness, and I sympathize with you so much on suffering with this for so long. Pain is HORRIBLE to deal with. I hope your doctors are treating your pain adequately. Are there any support groups in your area where you can do some one-on-one sharing?

In any case, you don't have to be alone. You can share here, and I'm sure you will get much more informed answers than I am able to provide.

Good luck and hang in there,
BethU