View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 04:28 PM #12 (permalink)
heatherjoy

heatherjoy
Default Thanks to All

Thanks to everyone for all of your kindness and the time you've spent to answer my questions. My sleep study is Monday and I'll let all of you now the results. Originally, my neuro wanted me to have a study due to my frequent sleep starts, but I also snore and find it's only gotten worse thru the years, so they're going to check for apnea as well. My neuro is the one who told me that if I took a sedative type medication before the sleep study the results wouldn't be accurate. I think that was because if there was any type of twitching some medications could affect the brain waves or twitching. I'm concerned because, when I have a period of a lot of sleep starts they happen so often, (the second I drift off to sleep I'm awakened again and again.) Also, I'm concerned bacause they're in my face alot, i.e. my forehead muscles will go up like I'm surprised, the sides of my mouth will move, etc. Most people have them in an arm or a leg. Maybe I'm just "overly aware" of them. I've seen my mom's forehead do the same thing when she's on the couch and she'll just wake up and smile. She can then drift off to sleep again though. I guess I'm just a wreck right now. My neuro did prescribe me ambien for the sleep study, instead of valium, etc. I took 1/2 of one last night and woke up after a few hours, got a drink of water, then wasn't able to go back to sleep due to the sleep starts. I've really noticed the sleep starts have increased since I stopped my nightly valium. I have taken a bit of my stomach and migraine medication this week (both of which have a sedative affect). I guess I can't just stop all medications. I did call the sleep center and they told me to take as little as possible of any valium or pain medication, (except over the counter), but that I could take ambien. I guess it's a different class of medication. Again thank you all so much....you're great. Heather