View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 01:58 AM #12 (permalink)
Spacemonkehh

Spacemonkehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2626 View Post
Actually I am afraid when I can see them! I read that with ALS one usually see's the twitching. In fact, two drs have asked me "are your twitches visable". I often have those deep ones too, you described it well.....like little vibrates that go very quick.

The vibrating in my foot is not a twitch though, its like there is a cell phone on it. That comes and goes, or sometimes it feels springy/tingly like when your foot falls asleep

My pains are fleeting too--sometimes last a few seconds, other times pulsates for a few hours then moves on. Right now I have been having this on and off pain at the top of my left ankle. They feel like tootaches. If I press or touch the areas at times it hurts

Wonder if we have the same thing going on...

I assume you have had loads of blood work?
Yes, lots of blood tests.. no abnormalities so far ( by that i mean calcium levels, b12, and other stuff that can cause twitches)

ALS twitches are usually tiny little ripples that you can barely see. Most people never notice them and notice the obvious weakness first.. because ALS twitches are caused by dying muscles because they no longer get instructions from the brain and sort of act on their own untill they vanish. Some ALS patients notice them - or cramping.. not 'perceived cramps ' like in BFS, but real cramps where your muscles get really tight and stay in that mode for a period of time. However, the fasciculations that they notice are usually in one spot and not spread all over your body. Some people with BFS have so called hot spots; where twitches will stay on one spot and twitch 24/7 for weeks, or even months. You have been twitching for 11 months now and no weakness, a clean EMG so no ALS. What else could you ask? anxiety causes 50% of the BFS symptoms.. not physical symptoms, but with the anxiety you amplify the twitches. With the anxiety, you will also start doing silly strenght tests and you will have even more pain and fatigue ( or perceived weakness ). Its a vicious cycle of 'mental destruction'

Pins and needles are also very common in BFS. They are not common in ALS because ALS does not attack sensory neurons ( Touch, pain / heat information sent to your brain )