Not open for further replies.

lynn77

Diagnosis
03/2000
Country
US
State
FL
I was wondering if anyone has found any particular food or foods that seem to help your fibromyalgia symptoms. I can't pinpoint one food, but I have noticed something over the past few years. When I eat a more healthy diet with fruit/vegetables, lean meats, and go low on the bad fats and sugar, I have less pain. I wish I knew which thing or things were helping me so I could eat a bunch of it!

Vegetables make me feel good. I don't think that any one in particular is a miracle food, though. Try to eat as a vegan would. Avoid meat because it carries a low frequency and bad karma. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables because they have a powerful "life force" as it is called.

Vegan food is good for health as it does not contain more fat and it is healthy too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed that eating healthy overall has helped my symptoms due to weight going down. Once I lost all of my weight, my symptoms went away a great deal. I still have some pain and fatigue, but it's improved so much that I definitely think changing my eating habits made a significant improvement. I mostly just ate more fruits, grains, and veggies.

Regarding the last two responses: I have recently transitioned to a vegan diet and I notice the health effects right away. It makes me feel more energized and light on my feet. I just feel more positive since I made the change about 3 weeks ago. I don't think I'll ever go back. The only thing I really miss is cheese on pizza. I am also trying to lose weight, Roman. That is going to be difficult during the oncoming winter but I am making a conscious effort to eat fresh, organic foods. I try to eat complex carbohydrates instead of the simple carbohydrates.

I switched from the regular meat and potatoes, diet of my youth, to a vegatarian diet. I try to limit dairy products but do use real butter. I drink almond milk. And I eat lots of different veggies and fruits, and limit my meat intake to fish and beef liver, and once in a while treat myself to a pork chop. lol

I also am trying to limit my use of sugar, which is a very hard thing to do as sugar is in everything. I truely believe that sugar is not good for us, as when I eat sweets I get very lazy. I can't use the commerical types of subs for sugar, but I do like Sweet Leaf Stevia. I just wish that the organic products and natural foods were not so expenive. Makes it harder to eat healthier all the time.

I have been trying to use some vegan recipies, and plan to make the vegan cheese out of raw cashews. Has anyone here made this and is it a good sub for regular cheese? I have a good friend who is vegan and she has told me about her diet but it seems to be very limiting on most foods. Plus, my problem is I am allergic to some of the main vegan staples like peanut butter. Oh well I guess we have to pick and choose and see what diet works best for each of us. And hope what we pick is healthy. :)

Sweed,

I have also read about the cashew vegan cheese but I can't try it as I am allergic to cashews. It really bothers me because those cashews look so rich and tasty. I break out if I even put one to my lips. If you are really trying to avoid artificial sugar, I suggest using agave as a sweetener, eating organic fruits (natural sugar) and eating honey. I grew up with such a harsh sugar tooth that it has been hard for me to transition away from the artificial sugars but I am slowly doing it.

As I said I am allergic to mostly everything. I can not eat most honey, other than orange blossem from Fl. I use agave and like it. I am allergic to peanuts and peanut butter. I was allergic to cashews, but usually they are roasted in peanut oil, at least the ones available at local stores. But the recipe calls for raw cashews, ones that have not been salted or roasted. I got a couple bags of them but need to get a yeast product to make the cheese. I watch the demo's on youtube, to learn how to make it and got a food processer to make it in. I have just been so busy with other outdoor work that I have not had time to try doing it myself. I think it could be made with other unroasted raw nuts. Are you allergic to say walnuts or peacans? Might have to reinvent the wheel. lol :)

As I said I am allergic to mostly everything. I can not eat most honey, other than orange blossem from Fl. I use agave and like it. I am allergic to peanuts and peanut butter. I was allergic to cashews, but usually they are roasted in peanut oil, at least the ones available at local stores. But the recipe calls for raw cashews, ones that have not been salted or roasted. I got a couple bags of them but need to get a yeast product to make the cheese. I watch the demo's on youtube, to learn how to make it and got a food processer to make it in. I have just been so busy with other outdoor work that I have not had time to try doing it myself. I think it could be made with other unroasted raw nuts. Are you allergic to say walnuts or peacans? Might have to reinvent the wheel. lol :)

Hmm..we seem eerily similar. I have a number of food allergies. I can't eat almonds, pumpkin seeds, cashews, certain fruits and any fish. It is very difficult to get all of the vitamins and nutrients that I need. I'm sure that you can relate. I see what you are saying about the vegan cheese and raw cashews.

Ironically, I can eat walnuts and pecans. I actually love to eat those. It doesn't make any sense as to why I'm allergic to only certain tree nuts and not others. Are there vegan cheeses made out of nuts besides cashews? I'm new to the whole vegan thing and haven't researched cheeses. I'm considering not even eating vegan cheeses at all but I wouldn't mind giving them a shot at least once.

I am also limited on fish products. I am allergic to Iodine, so that leaves out a bunch of tasty choices. I can't eat tuna anymore, don't know if it is the fish being used or perhapes soy fillers. I can eat raw almonds, but again none that have been roasted and salted. I would say watch the video's about making the vegan cheese and maybe I can try to make some with walnuts, after all many cheese balls at Christmas time are rolled in walnuts and pecans, so I don't know the reason behind just using cashews.

It is best to try and avoid soy products if possible, that is unless you know for a fact that the soy used is not gmo. Like using the Silk brand because they do not use the gmo soy. Some places say no soy and others say some can be used but only in small amounts. Some say soy is mostly animal food, but so are many other products we eat like oats and corn, etc... I think it is better to eat smaller amounts and try and eat lots of veggies and fruits. I try to buy only what is produced in our country & Canada, to avoid the pesticides, that are often used in countries far away. I once had one bite from an apple grown in Peru, and I was really sick for over a week. So I am extra careful in my food buying.

Some of the recipies sound really good, but are they? Any other vegans on site to tell us about their favorite food items?

anyways watch a few video's and let me know if something sounds yummy. :)

I have to concur with many others that I tend to just eat healthy. I eat at home for usually 6/7 dinners a week and rarely eat junk/processed foods. I'm not sure if fibromyalgia makes us more aware of the impact of bad food entering our system, but it sure feels like it.

I was wondering if anyone has found any particular food or foods that seem to help your fibromyalgia symptoms. I can't pinpoint one food, but I have noticed something over the past few years. When I eat a more healthy diet with fruit/vegetables, lean meats, and go low on the bad fats and sugar, I have less pain. I wish I knew which thing or things were helping me so I could eat a bunch of it!

I heard pineapple is really good for inflamatory symptoms! Right now I'm trying to stay away from processed foods, that must be helpful as well. I noticed that ever since I started adding more and more veggies and fruits in my diet (fruits replacing candy and desserts in general), my pain has decreased a bit. I'm also doing other things to help myself, so I'd not be able to really tell what's really working for me.

I had read this article recently - maybe some of these foods in the diet may help for those of us that can eat them.

"The foods most likely to be the culprits when it comes to intolerance are wheat, yeast, milk, sugar, peanuts, corn, eggs, citrus, alcohol, caffeine and soy.

Prime foods that can counter cytokine inflammation are coldwater fish such as salmon, trout, mackerel, sardines, swordfish, shark, cod and halibut. These fish are beneficial because of the omega-3 fatty acids they contain. It is good to include flax seed, evening primrose oil, and borage oil in one's diet also because of their anti-inflammatory properties. Additionally, fresh pineapple, fresh papaya, spinach, blueberries, strawberries and onions are useful.

Strong preliminary evidence leads many researchers to believe that excess cytokines may be responsible for CFS and FM symptoms."

This is my first post and honestly I'm a little apprehensive about putting it up. I don't suffer from fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue so I can't exactly relate to anyone here. This seems to be a sore spot for fibromyalgia sufferers when someone tries to help. What I've battled and successfully defeated however is being 100lbs overweight, so a few things might translate as it relates to food and nutrition.

A good friend of mine described fibromyalgia to me, so I have been just researching it a little lately. What I am seeing is people that need help in whatever way they can find it! What a terrible condition!

But seeing as this thread is in the alternative medicine/therapies section I hope my post will be well received since supplements and nutrition are relevant topics.

My question is, is anybody here familiar with the moringa oleifera tree?

The reason I think it might offer some help is its extensive nutrient profile which includes things already mentioned like anti-inflammatories and the omega oils.

Hi Ben,
I never heard of the moringa oleifera tree. If you have information about something you have tried, and it worked for you, your very welcome to tell us about your experiences with whatever has helped you and how it helped. We are welcome to knowledge of new things that might improve someone elses life. So talk about it. Just don't post any links to other websites or try to sell a product on the forum.

It is encouraging to hear about alternatives and the ability of people to do their own web searches to find out about things others share with our group. So Ben, share what this is and how it has helped you lose weight.

This entire forum is to provide support and hope for those who suffer from chronic diseases, mostly Fibro and CFS, but anyone is welcome on the forum. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back