Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
CA
Last year a friend of mine gave me an ointment that was meant for topical pain relief. Where I live, medical marijuana is legal and it's not hard to get a prescription. The ointment was made from cannabis and I loved it because I could use it during the day without getting high (I have 2 special needs children, so I need to be alert even when they're at school).

This had me thinking about other herbs that could be used in a similar manner. I know that cayenne is good for topical pain relief for nerve pain and muscular pain. St. John's Wort is in a liniment that I use for tendinitis (I tend to get it a lot so I make this regularly) as is Rosemary Oil, but it doesn't help with fibro pain so that's out. I know that Jamaican Dogwood is a natural anti-inflammatory (I also have inflammation along my spine for whatever reason) and Coridalys (sp?) makes a great pain killer that acts like an opiate but isn't (though is usually found in Chinese herbal formulas and rarely taken alone, and apparently a bit difficult to get your hands on).

Anyway, while I research, I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions. The ointment I had before can't be found now (a lot of dispensaries in the area have been closed due to non-existent zoning laws...the local gov't will find any loophole. I haven't found an open dispensary that carries it.). Also, I would like to make one that friends who don't have a script can use (and that my husband, who is in the military, doesn't have to use gloves to put it on me). Hence why I'm looking for other herbal alternatives. Plus, it's cheaper with other herbs and I like being thrifty :)

I'm not on a medication yet that helps with the pain, so that's why I'm looking at herbal alternatives. Because even the herbs can cause side-effects (the last two I mentioned also have anti-anxiety properties and can be sedating when taken orally, and my doc doesn't want me to take anti-inflammatory meds because of possible kidney issues), I'm really focusing on something I can use topically. The big motivator here being something that can help with the pain but not make me loopy.

Anyway, if anyone has either made or bought something...or if you have any advice...I welcome it wholeheartedly! I prefer to make my own herbal medicines when I can (have a great apothecary nearby and lots of areas to forage when it's the right time of year). I never had so much on the line before though. I really want to be able to function!

*hugs*
Jayelle

Last year a friend of mine gave me an ointment that was meant for topical pain relief. Where I live, medical marijuana is legal and it's not hard to get a prescription. The ointment was made from cannabis and I loved it because I could use it during the day without getting high (I have 2 special needs children, so I need to be alert even when they're at school).

This had me thinking about other herbs that could be used in a similar manner. I know that cayenne is good for topical pain relief for nerve pain and muscular pain. St. John's Wort is in a liniment that I use for tendinitis (I tend to get it a lot so I make this regularly) as is Rosemary Oil, but it doesn't help with fibro pain so that's out. I know that Jamaican Dogwood is a natural anti-inflammatory (I also have inflammation along my spine for whatever reason) and Coridalys (sp?) makes a great pain killer that acts like an opiate but isn't (though is usually found in Chinese herbal formulas and rarely taken alone, and apparently a bit difficult to get your hands on).

Anyway, while I research, I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions. The ointment I had before can't be found now (a lot of dispensaries in the area have been closed due to non-existent zoning laws...the local gov't will find any loophole. I haven't found an open dispensary that carries it.). Also, I would like to make one that friends who don't have a script can use (and that my husband, who is in the military, doesn't have to use gloves to put it on me). Hence why I'm looking for other herbal alternatives. Plus, it's cheaper with other herbs and I like being thrifty :)

I'm not on a medication yet that helps with the pain, so that's why I'm looking at herbal alternatives. Because even the herbs can cause side-effects (the last two I mentioned also have anti-anxiety properties and can be sedating when taken orally, and my doc doesn't want me to take anti-inflammatory meds because of possible kidney issues), I'm really focusing on something I can use topically. The big motivator here being something that can help with the pain but not make me loopy.

Anyway, if anyone has either made or bought something...or if you have any advice...I welcome it wholeheartedly! I prefer to make my own herbal medicines when I can (have a great apothecary nearby and lots of areas to forage when it's the right time of year). I never had so much on the line before though. I really want to be able to function!

*hugs*
Jayelle
The one that stops pain dead in its tracks is oil of oregano...however it burns at first when applied..that calms down in about 10 minutes ..do not get it near your eyes...and wash hands like crazy...its drawback is the very strong smell..which does dissipate..one of my sisters is allergic to it..but no one else i know reacts like that...so even with natural products allergies can be a problem.
Anecdotally...on new years i was in a flare up and one foot would not stop hurting , like 8 out of 10... So we were going out for the evening and i could not start like that...so i applied it...before i put my foot back on the floor the pain was gone and did not come back for days.
There is research on this online by georgetown u hospital. It also seems to be antiviral..i have knocked a terrible cold out in 6 hours with it..

jayelle welcome to the forums. I avoid pills as much as possible, so I find many good tutorials on youtube. Try looking for how to make organic pain lotions or something along those lines. Hope this helps.

Have you looked into prescription topical pain relief?

I don't believe so much in topical medications because I think its effect is usually very shallow or superficial. It may make me feel better for a while, but then only after a few minutes, I feel sick already. I still go for oral medications and even intravenous medications when I really need it. Most doctors will only give topical medications when the symptoms or the case are not that serious.

I have never had success with topical pain relief, but I've never had a prescription strength one. What kind of prescription topical pain relief helps? It wouldn't help deeper pain, would it?

I use a really strong oil named ''tei fu'', it's made by the Nature's Sunshine company and it really numbs m pain really well. If you haven't tried it yet, then you should really try it. It's not very cheap, at least not for such a small bottle, but you don't need to apply huge amounts of it in order to get relief with it; just a few drops. I think you can order it online too.

I suggest looking into prescription topical pain relief. My main reason for pursuing it was the no pills, no side effects. I love being in control of my body and my pain. The gels don't affect my every day life and that's how it should be.

I read about a lotion online a while ago and reviews on other forums where people raved about it. I was hesitant at first so I didn't purchase it right away, especially because I found it online and soon forgot about it... A few months passed I was having a huge pain flare (so bad I almost went to the hospital but knew they'd think I was crazy and wouldn't help anyways) I went to my local pharmacy and went down the pain relief Isle only to see this product I read about a few months back. It was roughly 20 bucks, but had an 'instant coupon' attached to it for like 10 bucks off! So I said what the heck I'll give it a try... To my surprise, it actually helped calm my legs down! It wasn't a miracle Cure but it made my pain a little more tolerable! The huge bonus - no odor at all! I receive it again at my pharmacy, this time in a spray bottle and purchased it. I would recommend it!
Know you're looking to make your own and for it to be herbal, but if you're interested, I'd give it a go!

I have been doing research on this very thing. I would love to hear if any of you have used any of these with positive results?

I have a topical which contains lidocaine but its my understanding...even topically needs to be processed in the liver..so can be hard on the body?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back