Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
07/1999
Country
US
State
CA
Watching tv tonight, there some ad on insomnia and neurotransmitters. Gaba is one key supplement in my sleep combo (posted it here). I've not dealt with insonmia and do get 8-10 hrs MOST nights of pretty good sleep. Here is info on Gaba and Sleep:

How Does GABA Promote Sleep?
Table of Contents
Gamma Aminobutyric Acid
GABA’s Role in the Brain
User Reviews
Reported Benefits
GABA for Anxiety
Sleep & Insomnia
How to Take
Recommended Dosages
Side Effects & Safety
Dangers & Withdrawal
GABA Agonists

Alternative Supplements

As a neurotransmitter, GABA functions in two ways in our bodies. First, it works throughout the body to regulate muscle tone, and secondly, it works in adult brains as the primary inhibitory neurotransmitter. Its chief responsibility is to calm the excited impulses of other neurotransmitters which may be over-firing. GABA is produced naturally within our brains. It is synthesized from glutamate.

In our brains, chemicals (neurotransmitters) carry signals through the minute space between neurons. These neurotransmitters cause the neurons to react. When excitatory neurotransmitters, such as adrenaline, nor-adrenaline, dopamine, serotonin or glutamate, fire rapidly, the neurons can become overly excited. For us, this neuronal excitement can produce the experience of feeling anxiety, agitation, irritability, depression or insomnia. Keeping the balance of brain chemicals just right is important for a feeling of well-being.

Having a deficiency of the key inhibitory neurotransmitter (GABA) can be quite problematic if the brain is unable to synthesize more. When our brains are in a state of over-excitement, sleep is not only is difficult to come by, but when we are able to fall asleep, often we are unable to stay asleep for any beneficial period of time.

Sleep Benefits of GABA
Supplementing with GABA may or may not be beneficial for good sleep. Scientists have established that GABA supplements are unable to cross the membrane known as the blood-brain barrier. This means that GABA is not able to find its way to the brain where it could be used as a calming agent, allowing you to get to sleep and stay asleep. However, many users report GABA as being extremely effective in helping them to calm their minds and to regain a normal sleep regimen. This contradiction between research and users experiences may be, at least in part, due to a strong placebo effect. With the vast number of positive reports, more research is indicated to determine if something else may be occurring due to the supplementation.

How to Use
Although the FDA has not established recommended doses for GABA, typical user reports signify that taking 500mg-1000mg at bedtime usually will exert a calming effect on the user, enabling them to peacefully get to sleep and to stay asleep for several hours without interruption. As with any supplement, until you know how your system will interact with this supplement, it is recommended you begin at the lower dose and work your way up slowly, if needed. Although some users report taking 2 grams or more, it is not recommended. The long-term effects of taking large doses of GABA are unknown.

I'm not a doctor, just an FYI.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, GABA promotes sleep. My docs added it to my cocktail after a big flare. It wan't doing anything, so the dosage got increased. I slept for days! So, I'm off that med. It sure is funny how differently people react to the same medication. Glad it works to help you sleep. I have a friend who swears by it for nerve pain.

I took an extra 500mg Gaba before I got into bed vs the 500mg Inositol I have been taking, and I think I slept even better....but the pain starts all over again when I get up and move....as I've said many times, my worst thing NOW is dealing with the mess from hip replacement.....IF ONLY, I hadn't done this, I could be better off....I know where I am now.

It's true we are all different, and I try just about everything alternative and avoid the drugs. This is me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back