Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2005
Country
US
State
TX
I've heard a lot lately about Vitamin D helping at least some of those who have Fibromyalgia, so I'm embarking on an experiment. I can't afford costly lab work to test my pre-experiment Vitamin D level, but I'm pretty sure it's low to non-existent. I've taken it in the past and it has seemed to help. I ran out a while back, and hadn't replaced it, but after seeing so many stories of how it's helped people with Fibromyalgia, I decided to buy some and do an unofficial experiement.

I purchased 2 bottles of Vitamin D3 2,000 I.U. at Kroger yesterday. They were having a buy one, get one sale, so I have 2 bottles for the price of one ($8.99, in case anyone would like to buy some.) I took 2 yesterday, and 2 today.

I was just as tired as usual last night, which wasn't surprising to me, since I don't expect anything to work right away. I expect that if I am truly deficient, it will take a while to build the Vitamin up in my system. A friend who recently found out his level was at 0, was put on extremely high doses for a while, then cut back to a normal dose for maintenance.

I am going to take 2 of these per day for a while, and see if I notice a difference. I have more energy today than yesterday and the day before, but that's not unusual for me, since my Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue wax and wane, and I also have other medical conditions. Hopefully I'll reap some positive rewards from taking the vitamins, and I'll keep y'all posted. If I do start to feel better, and the benefits seem to have peaked, I'll cut back to one per day until I run out, and then will consider replacing them with a lower dose, and see how that goes.

Smart idea. I started a bunch at once so it was hard to figure out what was helping and what was just extra stuff for my liver to process. A naturopath tested my D years ago and I've taken it pretty regular since, I can tell more now if I miss a day or two. I got the same vitamins a month ago and they work as well as the pricey" ones I've bought b4.
I wouldn't worry about getting labs for vitamen D, you'll know what feels right when you get there. (Pretty hard to OD on vitamen D, it's a safer VMware). It may take you a week or two to start to notice or you may not notice until you miss a dose! Hang in.
I see your in Texas, if you can try to get outside when it's sunny and sit in the shade. My old doctor explained to me that the sun helps the body in processing the vitamen (something like that) but I can tell a HUGE difference,
Good luck on this experiment I hope it helps, 8.89 is pretty cheep compared to most prescriptions so my fingers are crossed.
Please let us know if your progress.

I have a blood test for that today.there no point me buy OTC as it's just not strong enough.its not that it helps us it's that we simple do not have any lol.plus it's not a vitamin it's a hormone.so why they call it that I don't no :)

@Eyesup Thanks, It's been a few days now, and I do feel as if it's making a difference. I tend to have a lot of bronchial issues, always have, and I swear, it feels as if the Vitamin D is sort of soaking up the crap in my lungs like a sponge. It's hard to describe other than that, but I do feel a little better. Although I'm still wiped out at night, I do have a little more energy during the day. I do live in Texas, and it's still bearable outside to where I can sit out there. I've been doing that as well, taking my tablet and a book out for several days now, and enjoying the fresh air. I'll hold off on starting too many different things so I'll be able to tell which is helping, but after this is in my system, there are a few other things I'd like to try. Spirulina is another that I'd like to try, although it's more expensive than the Vitamin D, but perhaps at some point, I can find a good deal on it and stock up.

It is true that Vitamin D and fibromyalgia are closely interconnected. In fact, some sufferers of fibro have been known to recover from wheelchair disability after therapy using vital D supplements. Vitamin D also reduces morning pain and fatigue. It is a safer and more economical alternative than alternative pharmacological treatments.

It is true that Vitamin D and fibromyalgia are closely interconnected. In fact, some sufferers of fibro have been known to recover from wheelchair disability after therapy using vital D supplements. Vitamin D also reduces morning pain and fatigue. It is a safer and more economical alternative than alternative pharmacological treatments.

Yes, I recall seeing mention of the wheelchair scenario, which is one reason I decided to do the experiment. I do seem to feel somewhat better, and have a little more energy since I've begun taking the 2,000 MG per day. If after a few weeks, I'm still feeling improved, and am not suffering any side effects, I might increase the dosage, just to see if I notice any additional improvements. I totally agree about the cost. I can't afford to see a doctor these days, so anything I can do on my own to improve my condition helps.

That's something I would definitely try first, I mean, if we can feel better with vitamins, we should not rush to use other treatments with chemicals.

How are you doing on the Vit-D now WP? It's been like 2 weeks? I've also started taking 1000IU of D-3, but only on days when I don't get at least 1/2 hour of sunshine, so not enough to tell if its helping or not.

Blood test come back fine for vit D go figure.lol

I've been on prescribed mega vitamin D for a week now,and I think I might be feeling results already. A little less pain and stiffness.

How are you doing on the Vit-D now WP? It's been like 2 weeks? I've also started taking 1000IU of D-3, but only on days when I don't get at least 1/2 hour of sunshine, so not enough to tell if its helping or not.

Hey sureimsore, just an FYI, I don't know why vitamen D is called "vitamen" it is actually a hormone. When you absorb it through the skin, the skin actually stores what it doesn't use. I go out everyday, even in the winter I use a radiant heater so I can exsposed my skin (summer I can sit in the shade an still get enough) but I take 2000mg now every day as I figure if it's a hormone its best to keep it regulated. I don't worry about too much as at one time a naturopath had me on 10000mg a day! If I get too much from natural light my body will just store it. I think the sun also help "dry" us up a little.

Curios about drying up sinus/lugs. It reminded me of a protocol I remember reading about a "cure" for fibro from a doctor in CA that uses a high dose of musinex D. It states you get worse before you got better and at that time worse would have been dead for me, so I didn't consider it. Maybe if all else fails!

I hope this doesn't come out as a know it all but I wanted share.

Thanks eyesup; hmmm, maybe I'll do some research about it then. I've been perimenopausal for the past year...wondering if there is a correlation between a decrease in estrogen and vitamin D (maybe you/someone here already knows the answer).

The Vitamin D experiment is on hold for now. I ended up in the Emergency Room the other day for something that is unrelated, and am discontinuing all extraneous medications and supplements for now. That's not to say I won't go back on it, though, but I need to get my IBS under control first, since this is one of the worst bouts of it that I've ever had, even with a few other ER visits over the years.

O.k., I've been on a bland diet for awhile now, and the IBS isn't quite as bad as it was. I started taking the Vitamin D again yesterday. I'm going to add in some B and C, and hopefully the combination will help. I still have to address some other issues that are impacting my energy and overall health, but I don't see that adding these back into my daily routine will harm anything. I'm glad to see others posting here about their experiences, since we can all learn from one another.

Sureimsore
I think I'm premenopausal to.even with the coil I'm off and no all the flipping time.I'm never free for pain there.i always feel any min now I'm going to come on.and it's driving me nuts. Both my mother and grandma had there's early. I should get me bum down the dr really and ask for some blood tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back