Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2016
Country
US
State
CA
Hello everyone. I wanted to share two things that seem to be helping me.

In the past two weeks I've had two Bowen therapy sessions. I had been wanting to try some sort of hands-on therapy but thought that traditional massage would be too painful. Bowen is not really considered a massage but a technique. They don't really know why it works, and I don't think there's even scientific proof behind it, but many have found relief for a variety of chronic pain issues. After my first session I was exhausted and actually felt worse for the following two days. This rather extreme reaction surprised me as the practitioner barely touched me! She would just make these small rolling moves with her thumbs or fingers across certain muscle fibers, then allow me to rest for a few minutes before the next set of moves. I was on the table for about an hour, mostly in "resting" mode. After the second session I felt better than I had in a long time. My muscles and joints felt "loose", and the range of motion in my shoulder and hip girdle was much improved. I could turn my head without pain. Later today I'm having my third session and will let you know how it goes.

The other thing I'm trying is the Whole 30 elimination diet. This is a very strict plan with no dairy, grains, legumes, soy or added sugar allowed (not even honey or maple syrup) for 30 days. So basically you're allowed to eat meat, seafood, fruit, veggies, nuts and seeds. After the 30 days, the eliminated food groups are added back, one at a time. I'm currently on day 9. This is not a fun diet but I was desperate to try almost anything. During the first six days there were times when I felt more exhausted and more achy, which is not uncommon, but I hit what I hope is a turning point yesterday when my energy level, focus, and aches were much better than they had been. The diet is a lot of work for people like us who have limited energy stores, but I'm determined to see it through. No dark chocolate, sigh ....

Great news Sierra!

My good friend swears by the Whole30 diet. She was bedridden for days with Fibro symptoms and now she is almost pain free after alot of hard work on the elimination method. She slowly re-introduces foods one at a time.

All the best to you. (I still don't know how to see responses, everytime I post something it seems to get lost lol :smile:

Thanks for the feedback on the Whole 30 plan. I've heard great things about it, too, and figured it was worth a try. I'm trying to be more proactive about my condition rather than playing the "victim", which I've spent enough time doing.

Oh, BTW, at first I wasn't able to see replies to my posts until I "refreshed" the screen (F5 or control-R) while within a particular thread. Hope this helps.

I had Bowen work years ago. She was the first one to find that "something was very wrong" and sent me to the DR. It was the beginning of an 11 year odyssey. I had Graves Disease and ended up having to take radio active iodine to kill off the thyroid gland,(it was killing me).After that there was much, much more , like peeling an onion; every layer revealed something else; causing me to have to give up horses and the livestock I raised, and much more. But God is good! I finally found a great Naturopath MD that got my thyroid replacement treatment in line. Because I was so sensitive to the slightest change, it took 1 1/2 years to get it straightened out. But the Bowen work lady got the ball rolling after just one session of those small motions!

Ruralchick,
I was sorry to hear about your suffering with Graves Disease but am really glad you found a doctor that can help you.
Bowen therapy has been helping me. I finished my third session yesterday. I didn't feel better right afterwards, but in the evening I was less achy and this morning I was much less stiff and had less pain, especially in the neck and hips. The therapist told me that chronic pain sufferers generally require more sessions and are more difficult to treat as the body gets traumatized by the constant pain we feel. I experience pain in many areas from fibromyalgia itself; but then I experience additional pain as some of those areas tighten up in response to the pain (especially in my neck, shoulders and hips). It seems like pain itself causes more pain. I'm not expecting a cure, but so far Bowen therapy has helped relieve this additional layer of pain and stiffness, which makes my whole world look better.

Good job. I've been dieting for months now since I read some nice tips and thought to myself that it might work. I must admit that there were days when I thought nothing will ever work for me, but I know I was wrong. So I'm so happy for people who are also experiencing things I was going through

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back