Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
11/2001
Country
US
State
CA
Hi everyone, This isn't actually about a cure or treatment for Fibro but none the less needs to be read by us Fibro persons. This could be the answer to your prayers or at least some of them in many ways!
Hi, my name is Ellen and I am a chronic pain suffer. I was diagnosed in 2001 with Fibromyalgia. I also have migraines, Diabetes 2, and other pain symptoms. This is in regards of the study done on the affect of Vitamin D and chronic pain. I put the link below. This is just the latest article I have read and wanted to comment on it.
I read a different article a couple of months ago about the affects that Vitamin D has on helping those with Fibromyalgia and other chronic pain problems. Lately, I have been experiencing an increase in my pain as well as many new symptoms that I never had before. I was quite miserable. In fact more miserable than I ever have been since 2001. After taking a blood test that showed I was very low in vitamin D and after reading numerous other articles about how this vitamin may be able to help me I started taking vitamin D3 Apparently, Vitamin D3 is the same thing and better metabolizes in the body. At first I was taking anywhere from 2,000 to 5,000 IU a day. I didn't see a whole lot of a difference. However, in the article I read the groups that were given the trial were taking up to 20,000 IU a day. That is anywhere between 15,000-20,000 IU a day of Vitamin D. I thought this was a bit much or rather a lot much but was desperate to at least try. So, I upped my dose to 10,000 for about a week and then to 15,000 and then eventually to 20,000 a day of Vitamin D3. After only a few day's on this higher dose many of my symptoms started not only decreasing but were completely gone. Such as the pain, tingling, and numbness that I was having in my hands on a constant basis. This is now gone. Also, I was having terrible pain in my feet. I could not even walk on my feet without a tremendous amount of pain. This is now gone as well. in addition to this my leg pain has dramatically decreased. And I also have Chronic fatigue syndrome so I am tired a lot. I fall asleep while on the computer or reading a book and even when I am driving a vehicle. But this has not happened since.I have felt so much more energy that I can actually work around my house nearly non stop which I have not been able to do in almost 2 years. And I haven't been taking my much needed nap that I take every day. I haven't fell asleep at the wheel or anywhere else since. I am ecstatic.
So far I am stunned at these results. I am still waiting to see if this is just a fluke and not actually the result of taking Vitamin D. I am crossing my fingers. I had these on going problems that kept getting worse day by day now for nearly a year or more.

I do want to add however, something very important. After taking Vitamin D3 20,000 IU a day now for about 10 day's I started to feel sick approximately a half hour to 45 minutes after taking it. At first I didn't know what was causing my nausea, light headedness, weakness, stomach upset and a rapid heart rate and palpitations. But after taking it a few more times and feeling this way about a half hour to 45 minutes after taking the D3 I realized that my body might be experiencing a form of toxicity from it. Now I know after much research the Food and Drug Administration writes that it is safe to take anything under 50,000 IU a day. This amount I am taking should not be affecting me in this way, unless they say, I am sensitive to Vitamin D which is actually rare. It wont cause toxicity and these symptoms unless your taking over 50,000 IU a day and have been taking it for at least 2 months or more. I can safely say that this is what is happening to me though. I read that I could be one of the rare cases of Vitamin D sensitivity. So, I will be decreasing my amount most likely down to about 10,000 IU a day. I still want to continue taking the vitamin because I have done so well otherwise. I only hope that it is still effective for me at this amount. The results were to promising and awarding to just stop. I have been waiting for something to help my chronic pain for over 15 years and nothing has helped me through the years except for this. So, with me it's a two sided coin but I won't let that discourage you. I just wanted others to be aware of that this could happen although rare. And in this case or rather because of it I would always make sure to start on a lot lesser amount and build up to a higher amount taking special notice of any negative symptoms right after taking it. Symptoms such as I had. Now, whether it was actually hurting my body at that dose I don't know, verses just giving me many unpleasant feelings. I just know how I felt after taking it and I would never have been able to continue on that dose of 20,000 IU a day because of my sensitivity to it. But I think it is safe to say that the majority of people will not have this problem as I did. This is just my opinion and of course what the Drug and Food Administration is saying about it. If so I would say to them not to give up. I recommend taking the last dose you took before you started to feel sick. And make sure to get blood tests done to measure how much of the vitamin you have in your blood. I also advise everyone to do their own research about this and read what others are saying about it. As well as check out any new testing that may have been done. Although still in it's infancy as far as chronic pain goes (at least I think it is) it has been known to help other symptom you may have to deal with like I had and prevent new ones from forming.
Having a deficiency in this Vitamin causes a lot of different negative symptoms to appear that you could be blaming on disorders such as Fibromyalgia. Some of the symptoms you are experiencing that is not the disorder itself. Apparently, it is a epidemic right now in our country. Vitamin D used to never be tested and now it is mandatory to have it included in your CDC that you get when you go to a doctor's office for blood tests. There are many people with a Vitamin D deficiency. And if you think about all those who suffer from chronic pain and how the majority most likely doesn't go outside very much due to their pain it's most likely even worse. Although, they are saying that even those who have been going out in the sun have a vitamin D deficiency as well. Not all of course. Interesting if you ask me. And it can cause a wide range of symptoms too. I am proof of that! So, I just wanted to share this with you all. Go and get tested if you haven't already! Good Luck!

LInk & Email Not Allowed

Last edited by a moderator:
my dr told me I was very low on the D3, so she rec. 10 thousand mgs a day, I might up it to see what happens.
thanks for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back