Siderea is on a distinguished road
Registered Member
City: Bismarck
State: ND
Diagnosed: 10/2013
Interest: Diagnosed with FIBRO/CFS/PAIN and Arthritis
Siderea is on a distinguished road
Default Alone at work... and exhausted!

I am all alone at work this morning, and will be for a few more hours. I work in a small office, and my co-workers are all coming in late because they have to work the evening, or sick (one of my co-workers has Fibro too!) I'm struggling a lot to accomplish anything because I'm just so tired, and no one is here to put me to work. The phone has only rung a few times and there isn't any pressing task to get done. That's not to say there isn't work that should be getting done.

In the mean time, my shoulders are aching and sending sharp electrical pulses down my arms and my joints are swollen and stiff. My elbows are tender to massage. I'm also really cold.... really really really cold. I even wore my winter boots today just to help with the cold.

So in a situation like this, where I'm honestly just too tired to think straight or care about work, what would you do? I'm worried about how it's becoming increasingly difficult to care about work, mainly just because my brain feels way too lazy. I normally get excited by projects, but now I think, "Do I have to? Can't I just sleep instead? I suppose it's worth it for the paycheck so I can pay doctor bills..."

Also, in situations like this, do you find that caffeine is helpful or harmful? Coffee sometimes just makes me really jittery and anxious, but doesn't offer me enough energy to make it worth drinking. Other times it seems to help give me enough gumption to take care of my work, despite feeling lackadaisical. I never know if it's a good idea to drink it or not!
Old 10-23-2013, 09:53 AM #2 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member

btatro is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member
City: Kaukauna
State: WI
Interest: I am a healthcare worker that helps people with FIBRO/CFS/PAIN
btatro is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Alone at work... and exhausted!

When I find myself in a similar situation, I am mindful to drink lots of water and either take short walks around the office of do some light stretching in my office. Often, the bit of activity helps to 'wake me up' in a way that caffeine seems to not be able to do any longer!
Old 10-23-2013, 02:25 PM #3 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member

jcairns82 is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member
City: Fenelon Falls
State: Canada
Diagnosed: 02/1993
Interest: I have been diagnosed with FIBRO/CFS/PAIN
jcairns82 is on a distinguished road

I'm with btatro, I like to get some movement going. I'll do some basic shoulder stretching, as this is where I hold a lot of my pain/tension. I will go for a bit of stroll. As well, make sure that I'm properly hydrated and nourished.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:19 PM #4 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member
Registered Member

Trellum is on a distinguished road
Very Helpful Member
Registered Member
City: NL
State: NL
Diagnosed: 04/2011
Interest: I have Fibromyalgia, chronic pain, or chronic fatigue.
Trellum is on a distinguished road

I feel the same day... my brain is so lazy, and most of the day I feel so little motivation to work, I guess the only thing that keeps me going is my habit. Yeah, working is more like a habit for me not. I used to enjoy it, but now I just wish I could just go to bed and just forget about everything else! Like seriously, f**k everything I just want to go to bed! LOL, but I go back to the reality asap... I need the cash to pay my meds.

I tried coffee: awful idea. I felt awake, but at the same time tired! Not as good as they say, at least not for me. It makes me feel way worse.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:29 PM #5 (permalink)
Registered Member

Corvid is on a distinguished road
Registered Member
City: *****
State: **
Diagnosed: 06/2012
Corvid is on a distinguished road

I have moments like that everyday, whether at home or at work. Walking around a little or sipping water helps somewhat, but not always. One thing I've found that helps me is substituting what I can do for what I can't. If I'm at work and am too brain fogged to concentrate on computer work, I'll get up and do filing or refill the printer paper or something physical. If I'm too ouchy or tired to do something physical, I'll try to find some task that I can do sitting. The tasks I do may not always be what I'd normally give priority to on a good day, but on a bad day, I just try to find something that I can do so I don't feel useless at work or at home.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:20 PM #6 (permalink)
Registered Member

MercyL is on a distinguished road
Registered Member
City: Cripple Creek
State: CO
Diagnosed: 01/1986
Interest: I've suffered with Chronic Pain Syndrome
MercyL is on a distinguished road

You can try drinking water and getting up to walk around, but you might also consider taking a B complex vitamin supplement.

Don't megadose, just take one about half way through your work shift. I found that B complex vitamins can help with fatigue.

Also, try adding a few walnuts to your diet!
Old 01-10-2014, 10:30 PM #7 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member

JennyRhae is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member
City: Beaver
State: WV
Diagnosed: 08/2013
Interest: I have been tenatively dignosed with Fibromyalgia
JennyRhae is on a distinguished road

I usually only drink one cup of coffee per day. But I find if I am flagging in the afternoon or the evening, a cup does boost me. I'm convinced it's psychosomatic. Coffee=start of the day/energy/productivity etc. But I also agree that getting up and getting moving is helpful. Once I get started with a task it seems easier to accomplish it.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:41 AM #8 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member

Ouch! is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member
City: Hamilton
State: Ontario
Interest: I have Fibromyalgia, chronic pain, or chronic fatigue.
Ouch! is on a distinguished road

This is the worst! My trick is lots of cups of tea (not as harsh as coffee, and much more soothing!). The tea also provides warmth - sometimes I'll make a cup just to hold on to! I also eat - a lot. I eat to stay awake, even if I'm not really hungry. A granola bar, an orange, some carrot sticks, anything to a) give you something to do and B) provide a bit of energy.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:12 AM #9 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member

Friskykitty is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member
City: Baltimore
State: Maryland
Diagnosed: 09/2007
Friskykitty is on a distinguished road

A hot cup of green tea with honey will warm you and give you quick energy. Follow it with more fluids and light exercise. Is it dark and dingy inside? Open up the blinds and let in the daylight. Hopefully before you know it, a co worker will appear and the place will come alive.
15 minute power naps can work wonders- but can also cost you your job- proceed with caution! But if you must- set the alarm on your phone....then relax/ meditate 10 minutes. Might refresh you.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:41 AM #10 (permalink)
Banned
Registered Member

sagar is on a distinguished road
Banned
Registered Member
City: Dayton
State: Ohio
Interest: I have questions about Fibromyalgia and/or chronic pain.
sagar is on a distinguished road

Hello,
Sometimes it's boring that you are alone at work and nobody with you to talk and help but at the me time you have to realize that doing work on our own is not a normal thing....
Closed Thread

Tags
bills, brain, caffeine, doctor, energy, exhausted, good, helpful, massage, sick, sleep, work, worried