Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2016
Country
US
State
AL
Since being diagnosed a few months ago, I've gone overall downhill. I want to get up and do things even just around the house, but I constantly have no energy and enough pain that most days I can't do much besides fixing something small to eat for myself, my boyfriend, and my 13 year old daughter. Everybody in the house understands my lack of energy, but in a couple weeks, I have a hiccup to this routine. My 9 year old son is coming to visit for 10 days for Christmas. I haven't gotten to spend much time with him in the last year (for reasons out of my control), so everybody's excited, but I don't want to let him down by not being able to get up and do very much with him. I'm in the middle of switching doctors at the moment because my last one refuses to actually treat the fibro, so I don't know what to do. Does anybody have any suggestions for some extra energy (I can push through the pain) while my son is visiting? Any help is appreciated.

Not really no sorry.but I found for me,I did a little.sat down .did a little sat down.and so on.see for me and some others sitting down make the pain and stiffness worse.i had to push through the tiredness ,and for me it works.doing stuff gives me energy.
Now not everyone is the same with fibro.and some folk simple can't do it.but at lest try now before he gets here,just little things round the house and always,rest for 20 or 30 mins in between jobs.
Start off slowly.maybe get up and make some food like u are doing.then maybe fold of sheets with help.or peel potatoes for dinner.anything small.
But pleased with what you have done,that in it's self will help boost your mental health.
Fibro IS A war.its you and it.and u have to fight it.theres no giving in.and I'm aware we All have really bad days where it does beat us.
But if it does you say to yourself.ok fibro u may of won the battle ,but you aren't winning the war.and you pick yourself up the next day.even the smallest thing you do ,is winning.pace and learn how to pace.
Now I did a silly thing tonight.my four year old loved to dance.so I put on song,think it was a rumba .so she's dancing around .so am I.now im shoulders feel like jelly.i hurt like a b.... and I'm paying heavy for it,but sometimes you just want to be a mum.

B12 Complex I believe is good for energy. You can either take the tablets or I think my uncle says they have the shots of B12 in a bottle you can buy at Walmart. I've never tried the shots but I used to take the tablets. They're in the vitamin aisle. They're vitamins.

Thank you both. I am still learning how to pace myself so I don't overdo it too much. With my added back problems, sitting sometimes helps and sometimes makes it worse, but I try to make myself get back up anyway. My son got here Friday, so it's been a busy household and I've tried to hide most of my pain from him, but it definitely hasn't been easy. I've ended up hitting another wave of can't sleep much the last several days, so at least I'm not constantly wanting to fall asleep, lol. I've tried b12 tablets wroth success, but they don't seem to have much effect on me now.

Thank you both. I am still learning to pace myself so I don't overdo it, but sometimes I get carried away trying to get things done regardless of the cost. My son got here Friday and we've stayed pretty busy (within reason at least), but luckily my energy has mostly held out. I've hit another wave of insomnia the last few days, though, so ary least I'm not always wanting to fall asleep. I've tried b12 tablets in the past with some success, but they don't seem to have much effect on me now. Fortunately, my son understands my physical abilities are limited so he's having fun with his sister and enjoying cuddling and watching movies with me most evenings.

Your son will love just your affection and cuddle time sharing family meals and like you say chilling out watching tv or reading and playing quiet games together. Don't push yourself too hard your son accepts who you are...just his lovely mum. Enjoy this precious time together and take care.Happy Christmas.

Hiding the pain or putting on a show so to speak is so draining on its own, unfortunately. Hopefully your fibro gets better but most likely it will be there in some form, you should do what you feel you can do with your son but you should at some point figure out a way to show him how you are feeling so you can be yourself around him.

Thank you both. I apologize for taking to long to respond, but between holiday stuff, pain, and computer issues, it's been a while since I could get on here. We did enjoy the time while my son visited. He is very perceptive for an 8 year old and he knew I was in pain, and he stayed very protective of me while he was here as well. We spent plenty of time just cuddling and watching movies as well as making a couple of meals he loves me to make. He wasn't ready to go home at the end of his visit, but he'll be back for another visit soon. Both of my children's understanding(as much as they can) of my condition and limits just makes me love them that much more, if that's even possible. I must say, I am blessed for the ones I have around to support me.

Music and power posing. As well as acceptance for the aftermath.

But you need to build up and practice. Music can work like magic for me. Not always, so be prepared to get disappointed. Power posing (Check it out on youtube. Prof. Cuddy is the expert behind this self-confidence building 'trick') has also helped me a few times. It gave me the confidence that I can be stronger than fibro, even if it is for just a few hours.

And as always, be prepared to have a couple of off-days after your 'busy' day. Acceptance, I find, is also important. 'This is our reality, now let's get to work on how to make the best of it' is my motto (well, on some days - it is difficult as we all know).

Try gabapentin for pain, Energy Revitilizer Solution and Elysium Basis for energy. Really helped me. Read Fatigued to Fantastic by Dr Jacob Teitlebaum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back