fibrogal is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Registered Member
City: Montgomery
State: Alabama
Diagnosed: 07/2008
Interest: I have been diagnosed with FIBRO/CFS/PAIN
fibrogal is on a distinguished road
Default steroid shot helping all-over pain?

Hello, I'm new to the forum, but not to fibro. I've been diagnosed for 5 years now. I just wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this. Anytime I get a steroid shot for another issue (arthritis in knee or bursitis/rotator tear in shoulder, injections in neck), I find that the medicine takes away my fibro pain for several weeks.

I mentioned it to my orthopedic doctor one time, and he said that yes, steroids have a systemic effect, which makes you feel better all over. I was just wondering if anyone else had ever had that happen for them.

I had a shot about 4 weeks ago, and have enjoyed much less pain. Unfortunately, I can tell that it's wearing off now....
Old 07-25-2013, 07:27 PM #2 (permalink)
Registered Member

MercyL is on a distinguished road
Registered Member
City: Cripple Creek
State: CO
Diagnosed: 01/1986
Interest: I've suffered with Chronic Pain Syndrome
MercyL is on a distinguished road
Default Re: steroid shot helping all-over pain?

I suppose steroid shots aren't too dangerous unless they are going into the neck or the spine, as they do with epidural steroid injections.

I had a doctor try to talk me into having the epidural steroid injections, which I promptly refused.

There are no steroid injections approved for the spinal column above the thoracic region and the medical community is now re-evaluating the use of epidural steroid injections because they cause dangerous side affects.

I have had steroid injections but only in places like the base of my thumb, for bone spurs. I did not notice a system wide affect, but that may be because the dose was extremely small.
Closed Thread

Tags
doctor, knee, medicine, men, neck, pain, shoulder, steroid shot, wanted