Are You Able to Move Around or Exercise At All?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cinderr

Diagnosis
02/2008
Country
US
State
WI
I try to do something physical every day but it is so dang hard! A body in motion and all that...I try the treadmill but some days, I can't put my leg up to climb up there. Once up there, I go two minutes, rest, two minutes, rest. Such an ordeal.
I have something new though. I like to walk outside but can't without help---who is gonna helP? I am not yet ready to be lady with the walker. Instead, I bought a stroller at a garage sale and a baby blanket at another garage sale---$1.50 investment. I take "the baby' out for a walk, two days in a row now. Yesterday .2 of a mile, today a little further. Then I park the baby in the garage and go inside. My husband says social services will be at our door, thinking i leave the baby in the garage:p
The way I figure, I have two more warm months to walk the baby.

I try to get and walk every now and then but I hurt so darn bad afterwards, it's crazy the weird places you hurt after a walk or any form of excess movements. Then on some days its my hip on one side and the knee on the other. I've been trying the gentle water exercises and we leg circles, ankle circles, wrist and finger exercises etc.... OMG! My ankles hurted so bad once I got of the heated pool I had to invest in a cane to help me walk. I probably needed it before the exercises, but it made me get it earlier so I will take it easy for a minute on those.

I usually am able to move around pretty well. I usually do about 30-90 minutes on the treadmill per day. However, I'm pregnant now, so pain symptoms are acting up ten fold, and I can't do as much as I used to. I may do 30 minutes here and there at a slower pace, but to do 60-90 all at one? Forget it! My back is just too sore afterward, my body can't handle it. I'm hoping to build my endurance back up once I have the baby. I hope the pain has decreased a bit by then.

I have little feeling in my feet. I am not sure if that is fibro or diabetes. In any case, I use a wheelchair when I am out, or occasionally walk with a stick. Exercise is very difficult indeed.

I do manage to keep myself going on more normal days, though my "normal" days now are somewhat different to just a couple of years ago. I walk as much as I can even in ten minute bursts but i dont walk anywhere except around the house without my stick. I go swimming for an hour or so once a week and I usually feel better for it. In the winter we have a treadmill and a Cardio glide which I try to make use of for about 30 minutes a couple times a week or when I can. every bit of movement helps even if you can only do a few minutes at a time I find.

I cannot imagine being pregnant with these terrrible diseases. Your body gets so mixed up, hormones and such, when you're pregnant anyhow. Add fibro to it---yikes! Take very good care of yourself, maybe ease up on your time on the treadmill if you need to. If you don't need to, proceed! Iam one of the few people I know who doesn't use their treadmill to store winter coats or hanging laundry; I love my treadmill, love to use it!

I tried the warm pool at the club and it was so great. For the first time in years, my body felt buoyant and sort of normal. I wanted to join but am unsure if I will actually get naked and wet when there is snow on the ground? I hate being cold. I had a new lease on life when I water walked!

I actually have to lie down after a walk! I feel it is worth it though. So I walk fifteen minutes, lie down fifteen minutes, it has to be better for my body than not moving!

Some days are easier than others. This morning I managed to workout for a bit, but a few hours later thigh pain struck me really bad. Right now I'm just lying down, not sure if I'll have the energy and willpower to workout tomorrow tho. Things are not going well with other health problems of mine (hormonal). Other than that... yes I can exercise :) Unless my wrists or knees start bothering me, lol. Ah well, this is the life I was supposed to live, things could always be worse... saying that to myself always makes me feel better :)

A piece of advice if you can't move around much to exercise. You can flex your muscles while sitting down. You can lift your toes up and down as well as your legs. Those are small exercises that can keep the blood moving. You can even stretch while sitting if you'd like.

the first thing I do in the morning is stretch and loosen up the muscles, then i walk a mile most every day. sometimes if I'm feeling really good, I'll overdo it and walk 2 miles! I was told that we have to move, because if we don't our muscles will get even more painful. I'm trying to learn how not to overdo it. but I know i have to keep moving.

I try to get in some walking everyday. Mornings are the worest for me as I usually wake up in severe pain and need my pain meds right away. Then I have to wait for them to kick in. In the afternoon I try to pull a few weeds in my garden or flowerbeds. This only lasts for short periods of time because my back hurts so much. I pull weeds and then go rest, then try more later.

On rainy days I walk up the stairs a few times a day to help me limber up. I try to do housecleaning on those days as the weather is somewhat cooler. It is hard exercising when your whole body hurts. :)

Walkingis my favorite activity. I had a fairly decent program working for me but had to set it aside as my pain increased. I returned to walking once I found a decent pain management doctor.

Now, on good days, I can walk for a couple of hours, with small rest stops scattered here and there.

Today I am a rock star! This is 3 days in a row where I have walked at least 20 minutes on the treadmill! Yes, I must lie down after and stop during but I am still moving. I worried I would make it worse; it can't get worse! so I may as well move if I can!

I am able to do about 20 minutes of low-impact moderate-intensity aerobics. Some days I can only do 10-15 minutes, and I take a break before I do the rest. I used to be able to do more, but with the pregnancy weight and everything, it makes it a lot harder. Not to mention the constant pain. It's a double whammy, really!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back