Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2014
Country
US
State
CT
I am in so much pain all the time and my dr is not giving me any pain killers. he is only giving me muscle relaxors. im wondering if this is because im just reccently diagnosed and he wants to try these things out first or is unsure if im going to try and abuse the pain killers. but it is terribly frustrating to be in so much pain and not be given medicine that i *know* will help me. the muscle relaxors help some but usualy make me way to wonky and out of it to function when i know there are pain killers that will help that will allow me to function ok enough to goto work. i feel like if i suggest them to him he will worry that by making a suggestion i kno what i want and i am drug seeking, but really i just want relief!? does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the kind of meds they want from their drs?

Hi. I'd have a basic discussion about meds for fibro with him, including tramadol which is a milder pain med. Pain meds don't help everyone. My hunch is that he is trying to navigate around your psych meds since pain meds have some significant interactions. Not sure what you're taking the topamax for, but gabapentin, which helps some fibro folks, is a relative drug if you're taking it to counteract Saphis side effects. Read up on Fibro meds so your doc knows you've done your homework.

I'm on tramadol which is a controlled drug here in the uk. I only take 2 in the morning and two at night with paracetamol .id not have a live without them .they dull the pain and stiffens to about 70 percent .which means I can do what I need to do for. Day to day.
Ask your Dr.sometimes u he pave to ask right out before they just u anything. And be insistent don't get fobed off.

I am in so much pain all the time and my dr is not giving me any pain killers. he is only giving me muscle relaxors. im wondering if this is because im just reccently diagnosed and he wants to try these things out first or is unsure if im going to try and abuse the pain killers. but it is terribly frustrating to be in so much pain and not be given medicine that i *know* will help me. the muscle relaxors help some but usualy make me way to wonky and out of it to function when i know there are pain killers that will help that will allow me to function ok enough to goto work. i feel like if i suggest them to him he will worry that by making a suggestion i kno what i want and i am drug seeking, but really i just want relief!? does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the kind of meds they want from their drs?

This might be late after seeing the date of your post. I see some problems with your post. You ask how you can get certain drugs. Believe me you have just put up a big red light to doctors as someone doctor As a newly diagnosed patient with fibromyalgia asking for pain meds is a red light to doctors for patients looking for narcotics.shopping for narcotics and they will avoid you like the plague. You do not say how,long you have had these symptoms of pain etc. Normally Doctors will not even think of fibro unless you have at leasr a three month history of the pain. If you are seeing a rheumatologist there is a routine they will go thru to ensure you do have fibromyalgia. Why? Because it mimics or has symptoms similar to other diseases such as lupus, infectious arthritis and others. The old traditional pressure points in 11 out of 18 places on your body is no longer used by fibro doctors for the disease can change constantly. I have had it for over 10 years and am now 75. I have been to many doctors before I was correctly diagnosed and treated. I have been thru every recognized drug for fibromyalgia, Lyrica, Savella, Cymbalta, gabapentin etc and none worked for me. The first three made me very sleepy and increasing the strengths Only made it worse. I also have another autoimmune disease they have not yet identified which is destroying my joint cartridge starting with my knees( both have now been replaced). I have extreme pain in my shoulders and hips, fatigue amd pains in all of my joints and muscles. I wear a 75Mcg Fentanyl patch, changed every three days, and use 10/325 Hydrocodone when ithe pain gets worse. Some strong advice to you. Do not play games with your doctor make sure he does believe there is a disease called fibromyalgia and never but never ask for narcotics. Ask him for something to help with the pain. I have gone to doctors that were candid and had the opinion it was in my head. I quickly fired them. When you do find a doctor you can talk to be candid with him or her. Let them do their jog and go through the regime so they can eliminate other causes for the pain and then properly treat you. I would strongly encourage you to down load the letter the Drug Enforcement Administration has sent to all doctors relative to narcotics and treating their patients.as long as the doctor keeps your patient record up to date and why you are getting narcotics the DEA will not bother them. They further advise the doctor that it is their job to ensure the patients pain is taken care of. A good primary doctor or rheumatologist will help you UNLESS you keep bring up your need for narcotics. Most doctors will quickly think you are a druggie and that is not how you want to be labeled for doctors records can be accessed by other doctors now. It takes a few months for the doctor to run all of the tests and correctly diagnose you and then properly treat you. And one more thing. Get a small notebook amd keep track of your pain and other symptoms. write down the date, time and exactly where the pain is and how bad it is and any meds you are taking. The symptoms can change hourly or daily, when it rains or the weather is about to change. Show your log book to the doctor and he will know you are a serious patient. I have another small pocket notebook,3X5" that I keep track of the meds and narcotics I take, the date, time, and the drug. I am very careful with narcotics and show this to my doctor. that lets him know I am serious and not playing games with him. Just a note, that I get nothing feom the Narcotics I take other then relief of the pain. Never have ha a high or euphoria from them. I have never had a problem getting stronger meds if I needed them. I believe if you follow this you will be fine with your doctor. they are there to help you. Food luck

Hi,
I understand where u are with your doctor.
I'm not sure what type of doctor you are seeing.
If your really have fibro your doctor will know it right
Way by looking at the records that YOU keep to
Show him or her. The last person gave you good advise.
The pain meds they talked about currently taken are a low
Dose and can be useless. Norco/hydrocortisone is for pain on the outside
Of the body/cuts. That's why they don't help.
Ask your doctor to refer you to pain mgt. It will take you
Many trips to many doctors before you find one
That cares enough to help. Most will tell you to goto physical therapy.
It never helped me. Fibro meds never helped me either.
Lyrica took my eyesite.it started with blurred vision
And only got worse. I now have a cataract in my eye
And will need to have it removed. Be careful with all
Drugs and don't request any that you have no idea about
Like hydrocortisone. Try CBD salve, seems to give me
Instant relief. It can give you a small break from the pain.
I hope this helps you get where u need to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back