Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/1995
Country
US
State
IL
Hi. I'm new here. I've had Fibro for 18+ years. I had a cervical fusion done 5 years ago. Recently, in the last 6 months or so, I have had the pain again in the exact same place. I've had an MRI, CT and x-rays. Been to a neurosurgeon and orthopedic surgeon and both told me they can't help me and it's a part of my Fibro.

I have a high pain tolerance and been able to manage the Fibro paid mostly. I have broken bones as an adult and didn't cry but this neck pain makes me cry. I have a difficult time at work because I have a desk job and my neck hurts so bad.

So, who else has had this type of pain in the base of their neck? What did you do? A heating pad helps just a bit. Lidoderm patches don't touch the pain and I am at my wits end with this pain

Hi J and welcome,

Wow, I have to tell you, I have had neck pain since "acquiring" the fibro, but I don't think it is the same as yours. First, mine is almost always with a headache, but I do have times where the neck just feels stiff, sore, somewhat painful. And mine seems to run down the two muscles in back of the neck, and then straight across the hairline. Also, I have had two "lumps" on the muscles, that looked like half ping-pong balls, but they went down with heat, and now it's just like 2 masses under the skin, that you can only really feel if you pinch the area. My doctors have never addressed it *shrug*

So maybe it is the fibro, but I think you may want to make a list of other things that go along with the pain, like if you have anything of what I mentioned. Another thing, does it only hurt when you turn your head, and if so, apprx. at what angle? I once had pain from repetitive movement.
I could not turn my head more than 15 degrees in either direction, without excruciating pain. I didn't have money for a chiro, so I looked it up. I found that it could be related to the trapezoid muscle. I had my boyfriend press areas within the back till he found a sore spot/knot. I had him press on it as hard as he could with his knuckles, to do a release. The area was sore as hell afterwards, but my neck was normal after that.
If this pain sounds similar, I would discuss it with your doctor first before trying anything.

But other than that, I use heat on my neck and it relieves some of the pain.

Ha, sorry, I said trapezoid muscle before, it's actually "trapezius"

Since I got fibromyalgia, I sometimes have really back neck pain. I've found it is related to sleep. I have to use a really flat pillow or no pillow to avoid the pain. I think in a healthy personit just wwould have been a pulled muscle, but fibromyalgia amplifies whatever pain signals are there

No pillow omg .id never sleep like that. What about a neck pillow for when your sitting down. Just to help support your neck

I had it, it was caused by stress and neck tension :( It's awful! What I did was breathing exercises as well as walking 30 minutes a day. That helped me relax the muscles of my neck, which decreased not only the pain in my neck, but also my headaches.

Is it in both side of the neck? I know you said a heating pad helps so I would also try a hot water bottle...moist heat sometimes does more for some reason. Try rotating ice and heat. If that doesn't work go back to just heat. Instead of icyhot, try capsasin, it is derived from hot peppers and works by numbing the pain in joints and nerves. Icyhot just goes after the muscle. Be very carful with it, I dilute it with lotion or else it burns me. Wash your hand right away. I would go to the drug store now and try this one. It's instant yes or no! Oh, and yes I have had sever neck pain that lasted 4 months so I had to learn what worked for me. I do have an oil mix but it's more complicated so try this and if it works then you can look in alternative for topical.

Hoping you get some quick relief.

I think in a healthy personit just wwould have been a pulled muscle, but fibromyalgia amplifies whatever pain signals are there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back