Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/1995
Country
US
State
PA
How many of you like me long for a good nights sleep without those aches and pains from trying to sleep on a mattress that is either to hard or to sagging soft. I have been using those mattress topper cotton fiber bed pads on top of my regular mattress for years. However, the last few I bought did not last long and either got lumpy or flat in a short amount of time.

So I was searching for a new topper wondering if I should go with foam or goose feathers, when another idea popped into my head. I wanted a soft but firm mattress that would give me comfort, but also give better support to my legs so I would not get so many leg cramps. I had about given up when the idea came to me from my living room.

I had needed a new sofa and could not afford the ones I wanted. So I went to a second-hand shop and bought a futon for $7.00. They even delivered it for free. The 3"thick futon mattress was comfortable, but I could feel the metal bars under it. So I watched sales and bought a new 8"futon mattress and solved that problem.

What to do with the old one? Here was my idea, I dragged it upstairs and rolled up my old topper and replaced it with the futon mattress. This was a month ago and I sleep better and wake up with energy and less pain. So forget the fiber bed toppers and try this method if your dealing with lots of pain it might help you too.

Wow ingenious 1sweed and on such a tight budget you have made a significant change to your quality of sleep.

I have two duvets ( comforters) over my mattress to make it softer...they do flatten in time and i really need a new mattress as mine is about 7 or 8 years old and has been used a lot as ive had to rest sooo much these last few years ....the last one took me ages to find soft but not mushy and i'm not up to trailing round a store.

Glad you found something that helps and for the tip.

Wow. That is a genius idea. I used to have a memory foam mattress topper on my bed which was really nice, but recently switched to a queen sized bed and haven't been able to buy a new one. I have really been thinking about getting one of those Cloud memory foam mattresses or something similar. My uncle also has a chronic pain condition in the sane family as fibromyalgia and he has one and he says it makes a difference.

I used to sell futons and they really are a great invention. If you look around and find a really good futon making company you can get a lot of variety in a futon. There are ones that are all cotton, even all organic cotton, foam core wrapped in cotton, or my favorite which is foam core wrapped in cotton and then wrapped in a layer of untreated wool, with a cover over that. The wool is cool in summer, warm in winter. I don't sleep on a futon any more, but I do recommend that you try one if a regular mattress doesn't cut it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back